Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-21-2016, 09:27 AM

Don't think for one second money isn't made on the farm. My uncles farm, buddies that farm and have cattle. Old man is still running his bison herd. All of them are doing just fine living off the farms and ranches.
Nowhere near 5 bucks and hour.
Yeah there is ups and downs just like in oil and construction.
Sorry to have hurt your feelings guys. I have seen first hand how it works. Maybe it is different on your farm and that's your choice.
And I will make sure to tell my uncle that I am spoIled. He will get a chuckle out of that.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:18 AM

Unhappy Sad to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
With the high prices of all types of meat in the stores now a days does that put more pressure on our wild game .. Will it bring out more legal hunters ? Increase the poaching crowd ?
There have been reports from around the Drayton Vally area of cattle found butchered on farms or ranch lands 5 from what we hear. Prime cuts removed some smaller ones not even found just blood and truck tracks.
If this keeps up you may see a increase in the PUNISHER TACTICS!! with no cops included. People are not going to put up with the crime wave that is happening at a high rate!. You seem to see that the victims have more of a hard time dealing with the aftermath of a crime then the scumbags. We had heard of a local guy that had his place robbed with valuables that can't be replaced that where inherited sad thing to see happen. Then comes his guns in a safe thing WOW! they put him through the ringer!. It was said that it would have took 3 to 4 scumbags to move that safe and the RCMP tryed to blame him for not haveing it secured to the floor the guy lost everything . You see it all the time' Its Crazy!! who the hell is the victim. The guys that lost there cattle were told if caught protecting their cattle under surveillance with a weapon and that's not just a gun but anyting that would be used as a weapon would be CHARGED!. If people don't have support what you think going to happen victims will come first scumbags will lose everything and no one going to know about it
Old 02-21-2016, 11:20 AM

243 wildcat , that would be pretty frustrating. SSS

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?

Last edited by husky7mm; 02-21-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
Got juice, I have no idea on your particular situation as in if you bought land and are trying to make a go of farming and ranching. Pretty tough to do in this day and age.
If your working out to keep everything afloat then best quit bitching about it cause your income tax return more than makes up for it.
I called my own uncle out on his whining and crying about how hard it is on the farm. Can't make a living, no more room in the bins so have to add new ones every year, **** I can't seed 3 quarter sections in one day so need to buy a newer bigger seeder. Maybe 160 feet this year. Oh but **** my 400 hp tractor can't pull that so better head to John Deere and buy the new 525 hp.
And **** my pick up truck just turned over 100,000 km better head to the dealer and trade her in on a new one. I don't want it running rough while sitting outside idling outside the Albert and Walters while I drink a coffee and bitch about diesel fuel prices.
Tired of hearing the crying. If it's so damn rough on the farm might be best to just quit.
Keep it together. Rob

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to here it, is a farmer still bitching? Lol

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 02-21-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to here it, is a farmer still bitching? Lol
No , but our government will be trying to figure out how to charge someone a tax for that tree.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Don't think for one second money isn't made on the farm. My uncles farm, buddies that farm and have cattle. Old man is still running his bison herd. All of them are doing just fine living off the farms and ranches.
Nowhere near 5 bucks and hour.
Yeah there is ups and downs just like in oil and construction.
Sorry to have hurt your feelings guys. I have seen first hand how it works. Maybe it is different on your farm and that's your choice.
And I will make sure to tell my uncle that I am spoIled. He will get a chuckle out of that.
Nobody said we are not surviving, we are a resilient bunch, no feelings hurt here, just tired of some people commenting on things they seem to know nothing about.
Funny thing is your right it is like every other business, there is ups and downs, right now now beef is up and some people are complaining or in your words "whining" about the cost. Like you said there is ups and downs, if you think for a second cattle guys are rolling in cash you are wrong, have you seen feed prices lately, Nevermind the price of it, bales are basicly non existant.
I would imagine a chuckle is what your comments deserve.

Buy beef direct from the farm, it's much cheaper for the consumer as the middle man mark up isn't there. Food for thought.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:16 PM

Crown, yeah I am aware what the feed prices are at. Pops had good carry over from last year even sold some to the neighbors this year as it was harder to come by in certain areas.
An you know what it wasn't at 150 bucks a bale it was 35 cause next year he might need some. Especially the way this winter has been.
I pail chop and mineral everyday after work for my neighbor that has cattle and he offered me an almost 2 year old that was open at a buck a pound. Nice offer but thankfully I had enough moose and elk meat to get me thru till fall.
If input costs are managed and basic human greed about having bigger, newer and better than ones neighbor life on the farm can be really good.
When I hear about eating one meal a day or paying the power bill there is obviously something wrong. And like I stated initially I know nothing of that particular mans situation.
Like I said never meant to **** no one off but even my uncle couldn't explain his way out of why he kept buying more land and bins and tractors.
If your ever out west of stony and care to stop in for a beer it's on me.
Keep it together, Rob
Old 02-21-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Crown, yeah I am aware what the feed prices are at. Pops had good carry over from last year even sold some to the neighbors this year as it was harder to come by in certain areas.
An you know what it wasn't at 150 bucks a bale it was 35 cause next year he might need some. Especially the way this winter has been.
I pail chop and mineral everyday after work for my neighbor that has cattle and he offered me an almost 2 year old that was open at a buck a pound. Nice offer but thankfully I had enough moose and elk meat to get me thru till fall.
If input costs are managed and basic human greed about having bigger, newer and better than ones neighbor life on the farm can be really good.
When I hear about eating one meal a day or paying the power bill there is obviously something wrong. And like I stated initially I know nothing of that particular mans situation.
Like I said never meant to **** no one off but even my uncle couldn't explain his way out of why he kept buying more land and bins and tractors.
If your ever out west of stony and care to stop in for a beer it's on me.
Keep it together, Rob
This is like comparing apples to oranges, every farm is extremly different, in your own words you are speaking from the people that you know, not all farms are equal, example, our farm is a 160'acre family farm, I rent nearly 3000 acres. Some people own a lot of the land they farm, this makes it much easier.
I don't keep buying tractors land and bins, half of my grain is stored in piles on the ground. My newest tractor is a 1984 and we have never bought land.
One thing that is equal on all farms is the expense, like when fuel is up we can't add a surcharge on to recover the extra.
In most business when your costs go up you usually raise the price of your finished product, like if your building utility trailers if your cost for axles go up that reflects on the final price of the trailer. In farming if the cost of fertilizer, fuel, parts or anything for that matter go up I CANT change my selling price. I don't set the price. Hands are tied.
It's a lifestyle I love and would t change it, it just gets under my skin when people say farming is like a license to print money unless your doing it wrong.
Actually my farm is west of stony plain.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:04 PM

I totally understand every situation is different and yes renting land dramatically changes your input costs. Anywhere now from 50-80 dollars an acre cash rent makes things much more difficult to manage.
I never once said its a license to print money. But most I know are not renting large tracts of land which greatly contributes to their net profit come year end.
I am not knocking the lifestyle or anyone's choices and your right everyone does it differently from one farm to another.

Anyways sorry to the OP as this topic has gotten away from what he was asking not farming practices and profits.

Offer still stands crown. Live just west of carvel if you ever want a cold beer.
Keep it together, Rob
Old 02-21-2016, 03:20 PM

All good , heard some interesting angles and discussion .. would be great if Katts and Crown actually meet as neighbors , surprise , and have that beer ...hell I'm ready to buy .....

I never thought of the farmer being at risk for this with poaching of cattle.. not good
Old 02-21-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Nobody said we are not surviving, we are a resilient bunch, no feelings hurt here, just tired of some people commenting on things they seem to know nothing about.
Funny thing is your right it is like every other business, there is ups and downs, right now now beef is up and some people are complaining or in your words "whining" about the cost. Like you said there is ups and downs, if you think for a second cattle guys are rolling in cash you are wrong, have you seen feed prices lately, Nevermind the price of it, bales are basicly non existant.
I would imagine a chuckle is what your comments deserve.

Buy beef direct from the farm, it's much cheaper for the consumer as the middle man mark up isn't there. Food for thought.
might have to do this as 2yrs since i moved here nothing in the freezer yet.
Even ground beef is atrocious.Do you have one for sale?