Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2015, 05:15 PM

Default Quebec On Canadian Cultural Identity

This passage was sent to me today from a friend. I always feel uncomfortable about the subject of national identity as it to often moves to the extremes of racism and PC. I actually quite enjoyed the mayors explanation for the first half of the letter and regretted his rudeness towards the end.

MAYOR REFUSES TO REMOVE PORK FROM SCHOOL CANTEEN MENU... EXPLAINS WHY

Muslim parents demanded the abolition of pork in all the school
canteens of a Montreal suburb.

The mayor of the Montreal suburb of Dorval, has refused, and the town
clerk sent a note to all parents to explain why...

“Muslims must understand that they have to adapt to Canada and Quebec,
its customs, its traditions, its way of life, because that's where they
chose to immigrate.

“They must understand that they have to integrate and learn to live in Quebec.

“They must understand that it is for them to change their lifestyle,
not the Canadians who so generously welcomed them.

“They must understand that Canadians are neither racist nor
xenophobic, they accepted many immigrants before Muslims (whereas the reverse is
not true, in that Muslim states do not accept non-Muslim immigrants).

“That no more than other nations, Canadians are not willing to give up their identity, their culture.

“And if Canada is a land of welcome, it's not the Mayor of Dorval who welcomes foreigners, but the Canadian-Quebecois people as a whole.

“Finally, they must understand that in Canada (Quebec) with its Judeo-Christian roots, Christmas trees, churches and religious festivals, religion must remain in the private domain.

The municipality of Dorval was right to refuse any concessions to Islam and Sharia.

“For Muslims who disagree with secularism and do not feel comfortable in Canada, there are 57 beautiful Muslim countries in the world, most of them under-populated and ready to receive them with open arms in accordance with Shariah.

“If you left your country for Canada, and not for other Muslim countries, it is because you have considered that life is better in Canada than elsewhere.

“Ask yourself the question, just once, “Why is it better here in Canada than where you come from?”

“A canteen with pork is part of the answer.”

Last edited by nelsonob1; 02-12-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:29 PM

"Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."
Karl Popper
Old 02-12-2015, 06:22 PM

Default a hoax

NelsonBob, this is a hoax.

First of all, Quebec schools are not run by Mayors, they're run by elected Trustees, like elsewhere in Canada.

Secondly, the City of Dorval has put out this press release:

Press Releases

"The City of Dorval Denounces False News Circulating on the Internet

Dorval, January 27, 2015 – For a number of weeks now, false news has been circulating on social networks, as well as via a string of emails, about the Mayor of Dorval having allegedly refused to follow up on a request from Muslim parents asking him to remove pork from the City’s school cafeterias. The story also quotes speculative comments from the Mayor in regards to Muslims.

The City of Dorval wishes to denounce this false article and resents this identity usurpation. Internet users across the world have published this false news as it was true, and the Mayor would like to set the record straight by saying that, on no account, he, nor any the City’s representatives, have made such comments.

Albeit difficult to track the origins of this hoax, our research has led us to believe that it started in the United States. A similar hoax about a Mayor in Belgium had traveled the Web in 2013."

The hoax has caught on because the people of Quebec have made it abundantly clear that they like their pork and beans, and their French Canadian pea soup (with ham chunks), and that a menu change is just not in the cards. Bravo.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
NelsonBob, this is a hoax.
Whew.
That's a relief. For a minute there I thought I actually had some common thoughts with a Quebecor! JK
Old 02-12-2015, 07:50 PM

Well that's disappointing...I had imagined a Quebec mayor being outspoken enough to write that letter.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:18 PM

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellero View Post
"Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."
Karl Popper
^^^x2.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Well that's disappointing...I had imagined a Quebec mayor being outspoken enough to write that letter.
In the spirit of the place, yes, the school story is plausible.
Quebec is the only province that has dared challenge the conventions of Political Correctness.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Banned

En Francais, SVP.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:11 PM

Oui oui
Old 02-14-2015, 06:14 AM

Too bad Quebec itself dosen't live by these rules. LOL
OMG,
what would happen to the bacon double cheese burger ? Or the Ham and eggs? The world would end as we know it !

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Whew.
That's a relief. For a minute there I thought I actually had some common thoughts with a Quebecor! JK
LMAO! Good one!!!

I was raised in Quebec, what were my parents thinking?

In any case I escaped in 1989 thank God and good riddance. The week I left that stupid province, they were having yet again, another seperation vote. I went into the voting booth and voted to seperate in an attempt to do my part to get them out of our country! lol

Last edited by edmhunter; 02-14-2015 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:30 PM

Too bad it's not real!!! That would've been an appropriate response to any such demands regardless of religion. The bottom line is: YOU choose to come here and YOU need to adapt, not US who need to adapt to YOU.!!!!!!
And if you don't like it - there are plenty of other countries where you can go.