Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-30-2012, 10:20 PM

hey I'm also from n.s. been here about 4 yrs. Hunt alot. Bow hunt and geese ducks and deer. Keep in touch maybe we can get out.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:41 AM

Hi, I've recently moved to Calgary from Ontario, I've been out a couple times shed hunting and was wondering if anyone wants to go out, check out some crown land for the fall too.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:42 PM

i am looking for someone to do some spring bear hunting with. im 24 and have lived here in AB for about a year now. i would like to set up a bait and maby a bit of spot and stalk too. i think it would be good to have a second set of hands im told its not an easy thing to do. its my first year bear hunting and would like to give it a shot. i live in fort sask and am looking to keep it within about a 2 hour drive. im interested in getting out right away so if anyone is interested let me know
Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebambibuster View Post
i am looking for someone to do some spring bear hunting with. im 24 and have lived here in AB for about a year now. i would like to set up a bait and maby a bit of spot and stalk too. i think it would be good to have a second set of hands im told its not an easy thing to do. its my first year bear hunting and would like to give it a shot. i live in fort sask and am looking to keep it within about a 2 hour drive. im interested in getting out right away so if anyone is interested let me know
I don't think I'll be able to get out bear hunting this year, but if you act fast I can give you some bait. I've got a bunch of animal parts including a pig head and skin and some still-born lambs. It's about a wheel barrel full. Just PM me if you're interested in getting it.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan R View Post
I don't think I'll be able to get out bear hunting this year, but if you act fast I can give you some bait. I've got a bunch of animal parts including a pig head and skin and some still-born lambs. It's about a wheel barrel full. Just PM me if you're interested in getting it.
Never mind, I've just been informed that it's a no-no to use non-inspected meat.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 PM

Default Bear hunting partner

Looking for a bear hunting partner. Have 2 bait sites set up already since April 25 in west of Rimbey. No tree stand set up yet
I'm new to bear hunting as well as the other guy. Haven't seen any bears yet but using oats barley molasses and grease as well as some hog bait juice and ansine extract vanillia extract. If any body is interested I live in the Innisfail area
Old 04-10-2012, 08:26 AM

Hey something else that works great for bears is feed corn and stale Tim hortons doughnuts...I have used those for a few years now back in nova Scotia and the black bears go crazy over them...if you would like someone to hunt with and give you a hand I would be happy to pm me AMD maybe we can set something up
Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 PM

Default new to alberta would love a partner

i am new to Alberta and would love to find 1 or 2 people to hunt mainly deer, small game and possibly geese and ducks with. i am located on a small farm just west of balzac and have just passed my nonrestricted PAL this past Saturday so have my fingers crossed t hat i get it before the season. I do have hunting experience but in the U.S. bow hunting white tails in Michigan. I would appreciate learning from someone here thoguh that is knowledgable about areas, local resrictions etc though as things in Canada are far different than they are in Michigan. Anyone interested in helping me out and teaching me the ropes, some good spots and those type of things would have my eternal gratitude at the minimum. I hope to hear from anyone anytime soon...thanks and good luck
Old 04-17-2012, 12:02 PM

Default Hunting Partners

My wife and I are Emergency Medical Technicians.

My wife went on a sudden death call where a member of the hunting party passed away while hunting in a remote area.

After finding no signs of life, she took a history from the hunting partners.

How long have you known him?

8 yrs

His name?

give first name, but not last name

How old is he?

no idea... over 60

Any medical history?

he takes pills, maybe for heart?

Next of kin?

yes... he is married.... don't know her name... never met her

What is his address?

don't know

Where do you pick him up?

we meet at the Tim Hortons, he parks in the Wal Mart lot next to Tim Hortons, not sure what type of car he drove.

While waiting for the RCMP to show up, lots of hunting stories about him and they even recalled the makes and calibers of his guns.

True story about true hunting buddies!

Greg
Old 04-18-2012, 04:13 AM

looking for u hunting partner in germany
Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Default new hunter to alberta

been gun handling for over 45 years,trained by wwII infintry sharpshooter and Canada.s top big game hunter,very positive regarding regulations and safety protocalls,been a big game hunter and have dropped over 30 moose and bear from northern ontario,best shot was 750 yards one shot dropped big bull moose thru the trees,love the outdoors ,like to walk,sit ,stalk,track and drop my game with one or two shots,have all my gear,willing to buy what I need ,of course willing to share expenses,and costs,new to Alberta and have not hunted here yet,unsure of regulations and procedures ,this is a definate proiroty for me,only want to hunt big game,I eat what I kill and never mix booze and guns at camp and don't want to hunt with these people,I prefer to in the dense bush then out in the open field hunting deer.any other questions just ask,going to see what costs i'm looking at to hunt with a partner as I never hunt alone.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:54 AM

Default New and limited time

Hi everybody!
I'm new to the boards and am looking for a possible hunting partner in the fort McMurray area. I do have a friend who heads down to wandering river however schedules aren't likely to mesh this year and I'm looking for someone and places a little more local to go and learn from.

Last year was my first year hunting ever aside from trips going with my grandfather in my early teens which was more of a walk in the woods with him.

Anyone interested in taking on a helper/rookie, pm me
Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 AM

Hi All, I am looking for a hunting partner who is farmilar with the Edmonton Bow Zone for this years bow season. I have been hunting for a number of years but have never hunted this area. If anyone is interested or has some info on this zone please pm me.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM

Default Looking for Gopher hunting area by Spruce Grove/Stony Plain area

As the title says, I am looking for an area for me and maybe my daughter to hunt gophers. I have a .22LR and a .22 air rifle for complete quiet. All land and livestock will be respected.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:27 AM

Smile Just Moved to Edmonton from Ontario, looking for private property to bowhunt

Hey everyone, My name's Dan and I just moved from south central Ontario to Edmonton to work as an arborist. I used to be a Fish & Wildlife technician back home, but moved to the promised land because it is extremely difficult to get work in Ontario any more. I am huge into fishing, hunting, trapping, land management and sporting dogs, and I was wondering if anyone knows of any private land close to the city where I may have permission to bowhunt deer in the fall.>? I am respectful of everyone and all buildings, as well as extremely safe. Just looking for a place not far from the city to start out here, because I do not know many places yet. I am also interested in hunting crownland, but I'm just not sure how far to drive, or where to start. I am willing to make friends and help out with things, as well as share experiences, information and advice. Any advice would be helpful, thank you.

Dan Crook
Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 AM

I shot a bear opening day last fall in Ontario, which I baited for 3 weeks prior to season. I used numerous things to bait including pastries, meat, icing sugar, tuna juice, Bread, chicken scraps, bacon grease, and literally hundreds of pounds of cracked corn (which only the grouse and jays ate)....and the list goes on... but the only things that the bears found interesting were; raspberry jelly, peanut butter, apples, marshmellows, and strawberry jello powder. I think the main reson for this was because A) it was fall and the bears ate mostly sugary items that fatten them up for hibernation, and B) because I hunted forest that was surrounded by berry patches which was probably their main food source. It's amazing what they eat at certain times of the year, and how picky they can be. A trapper back home once told me for spring bear hunting (when it was allowed in Ontario) one of the best bait setups for bear is to use beaver as bait, or hang a beaver castor gland very very high ina tree not easily climbed.,... because beaver is one of the most oily, smelly, easily attainable, and protein rich foods available for bears looking to feed cubs and strenghten them up. Chances are, the bears will be feeding on what is available in the region at that time, just the best of what is offered that they are willing to eat. Then Again... I have witnessed bears eat candle wax and dog food in Provincial Parks
Old 05-29-2012, 12:56 AM

Wink Bear Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Looking for a bear hunting partner. Have 2 bait sites set up already since April 25 in west of Rimbey. No tree stand set up yet
I'm new to bear hunting as well as the other guy. Haven't seen any bears yet but using oats barley molasses and grease as well as some hog bait juice and ansine extract vanillia extract. If any body is interested I live in the Innisfail area
I shot a bear opening day last fall in Ontario, which I baited for 3 weeks prior to season. I used numerous things to bait including pastries, meat, icing sugar, tuna juice, Bread, chicken scraps, Vanilla extract, bacon grease, and literally hundreds of pounds of cracked corn (which only the grouse and jays ate)....and the list goes on... but the only things that the bears found interesting were; maple syrup, raspberry jelly, peanut butter, apples, marshmellows, and strawberry jello powder. I think the main reason for this was because A) it was fall and the bears ate mostly sugary items that fatten them up for hibernation, and B) because I hunted forest that was surrounded by berry patches which was probably their main food source. It's amazing what they eat at certain times of the year, and how picky they can be. A trapper back home once told me for spring bear hunting (when it was allowed in Ontario) one of the best bait setups for bear is to use beaver as bait, or hang a beaver castor gland very very high ina tree not easily climbed.,... because beaver is one of the most oily, smelly, easily attainable, and protein rich foods available for bears looking to feed cubs and strenghten them up. Chances are, the bears will be feeding on what is available in the region at that time, just the best of what is offered that they are willing to eat. Then Again... I have witnessed bears eat candle wax and dog food in Provincial Parks
Old 05-29-2012, 11:34 PM

Hey I just moved to fort saskatchewan last july and is excited about hunting this fall. I moved here from NB where I did alot of hunting and fishing over the years with great success. I would like to get to know other hunters and get some advice where I could hunt where I wouldn't bother anyone. Don't mind having to drive an hour or 2 to get to some great whitetail area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Old 05-30-2012, 01:38 PM

Hey, I just moved to Red Deer from Nova Scotia about 3 weeks ago. I did a lot of hunting and fishing back home. Im looking for someone to do a bit of hunting with. I like to hunt pretty much anything. Im pretty big into bird hunting, would love to try some gopher hunting. Send me a message if you need a hunting partner.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2012, 12:18 AM

Default new to alberta hunting

just got posted here in edmonton not long ago and excited to finally be able to get back in to hunting. originally from the west coast of BC and pretty much hunted deer my whole life there. unfortunately it was easier getting to hunt at home on my own just from learning off dad... but dad aint here to show me all the good tips and tricks out here lol so if anyone is interested in a partner for any hunting (rifle for now, maybe bow in the near future) send me a message, would love to get out again
Brie
Old 06-02-2012, 08:58 PM

Hi there,
I'm new to Alberta, just moved out to Edmonton from Winnipeg a few weeks ago! I have been hunting for four years and love to bow hunt big game. Back home I had no problem going out hunting on my own but here I simply have no idea where to even begin looking or where to go! Any tips or help would be appreciated!
Cheers,
Laura
Old 06-17-2012, 10:14 PM

Default New to Alberta and looking for some hunting opportunities

Hey there, currently making the move to Calgary Alberta and I'm looking for a hunting opportunity. I'm from b.c. And hunted all my life. I don't know much about the Alberta hunting process, like tags and zones etc, but I would just like to get out with someone and chase some animals. I would even consider going along with someone and taking footage of the hunts for there bragging rights. If anyone is interested that would be great and I appreciate it. As I know just meeting someone for the first time and taking them to hunting spots is not something everyone is comfortable with. PM if your interested or any questions.
Chad.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:37 PM

Default Looking for a hunter in south ab

I am looking for a person newish to the sport of hunting, I am no expert but have bagged alot of animals over the years. I would like to have another person to hunt with expecially since I have a bird dog now, so I want to go out for birds as much as possible. I also hunt elk and deer. although not successful in either since i moved south lmao. like I said im no expert but I can tell you alot about the woods and have many years of stories to share. pm if you are interested.
winger7mm
Old 06-18-2012, 12:35 AM

Wink

Wrong box
Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 PM

Default partner

Hi Everyone
Looking for friends to scout/possibly hunt with this fall in the valleyview area. I am a Conservation Officer so playing by the rules is important to me. I hunt with my shotgun/rifle/bow for most things but I am not really a trophy hunter. I enjoy the food in the freezer just as much as the time outside. I often clean/butcher/shoot/scout by myself but I enjoy good company. My toys are limited and have the bare essentials for hunting ie car, climbing stand, firearms, fitness, gear, etc. I was in Edmonton a few years ago and kind of been hopping around quite a bit but I would like to try to do some hunting in the valleyview area as there seems to be quite a bit of potential here to say the least. Let me know if you want to meet up for a beer or get out bushwacking and look for some sign. If you want pm me your phone number and I will give you a call.

thanks

Jim
Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 AM

Default have ammo, will supply to partner for some gopher shooting!

Wondering if anyone is willing to take me out shooting gophers, willing to travel an hour or so from Edmonton, and will supply 1000 rounds of ammo for your .22 just to get out there and shoot. PM me if you know a good field and are willing to take me out with you.

thanks!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:48 PM

Default Priority 5 for antlered moose!

Hi guys I'm currently a priority 5 for Antlered bull moose but don't have anyone to hunt with and don't really know where to go. I've been a hunter for as long as I can remember but due to the type of work I've been doing I haven't been able to go moose hunting for 5 yrs now. I shot some big mule deer in the last few years south of Medicine Hat. I currently live in Devon, just south of Edmonton and will go anywhere to hunt. My new job allows me a lot more time off so the dates are flexable. Anyone interested PM me or respond to this message asap so I can get my draws put in before the deadline. Thanks and I hope to hear from someone soon.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:18 PM

Default North from ED

We are new comers here in AB as well in CA, looking to fill this weeekend , with some gopher shoting, fishing, and explore the north part of from Edmonton around 2h ,
Please send PM, if some farmers or ranch owners are interested to help us with it.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotars View Post
We are new comers here in AB as well in CA, looking to fill this weeekend , with some gopher shoting, fishing, and explore the north part of from Edmonton around 2h ,
Please send PM, if some farmers or ranch owners are interested to help us with it.
Hey Partner maybe post this in the Hunting discussion,
And guys help the fellow out, has a great family and has the gopher bug now, came down a couple weekends ago and had a blast, shot a ton of gophers and had a great time. so lets make him feel welcome here in Alberta. Great outdoorsman.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:40 AM

Default Very first time

Wow, so many seasoned hunters looking for company, i feel a lil outta my leauge.
Im 25, born albertan. and have spent a few months in the rockies over my time. Hiking, river canoe trips, even got to kyayk the broken group provincal park (b.c)
BUt i have never hunted before in my life.

I've loved fishing and the outdoors since i was a wee tyke, Im decent in the woods, just never tried to use my feildcraft to bring anything home with me!

In the last year or so Ive fallen in love with traditional archery and just purchased my first bow, #45 recurve. I've become interested in hunting for food and want to start with small game(I.e rabbits, Skunks, squirrils) because i don't need tickets to get started and i can still eat it. ( waste not right?). as i understand bowhunting rabbit is supposed to be a special challange on its own. i want to learn the spot and stalk method before i start going into tree stands and the like. im planning on working up the food chain by season as i learn more and more.
Ive poured in about 100 hours of research into this, scouting, shooting, cleaning and whatnot. part of why iw wanna start small and its actually how i ended up on this site. (over and over again, thanks google)
Also shot a couple thousand arrows down range this month. Id like to think im ready as im gonna be to try.
What I am looking for is someone within 2 hours of calgary who is willing to let me come to your land and try to take a couple rabbits home with me....
I would really appreciate anything im offered really, All land/livestock/borders would be respected of course, and if you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to email or p.m me. id like to learn as much as i can as quickly as i can.
thanks
keith

any thoughts from the masses or am i out to lunch?
(p.s, sorry if i posted this in the wrong section)

Last edited by Mighty-Mouse; 07-01-2012 at 11:06 AM.