Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2020, 08:38 PM

Default Any experts on 2003-4 s350 clearance lights

I have a 2003-4 e350 with an unicel added. The clearance lights turn on when I turn the headlights on but the headlights and clearance lights won't turn on when it is dropped into gear.

It failed the safety inspection because of this. What are the most likely places to look for the problem. Is this a common problem which is an easy fix. Or should I get a mechanic to deal with this?
Old 01-01-2020, 10:18 PM

mercedes?
Old 01-01-2020, 10:52 PM

I would ask to see the section of the cvip manual that states it is required. I have driven many medium and heavy duty trucks and can't think of any that the lights automatically turn on when placed in gear.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:50 AM

On a canadian e350 you should have your low beams on (possibly at 25% reduced brightness) as your DRLs when in gear. No clearance/park lamps should be on until the headlamp switch is turned on.

If they insist (foolishly) that you need park lamps on in gear then it should be easy enough to power the park lamps at all times using a relay triggered by a hot in run source. That being said,I have hsd my Yukon CVIP/PMVI license since 2011 and I have never heard of this requirement.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:52 AM

Thank-you. So I need to get the low beams on while in drive. Oh fun times ahead trying to trace this out. Hopefully it's a fuse or relay that needs replacement.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:27 AM

Question DRLs

Is this originally a Canadian vehicle? Or is this an imported U.S. van? Might make difference between plug & play parts replacement versus wiring in new components.
This forum thread might help: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-location.html

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-02-2020, 11:54 AM

Canadian. I found the DRL module. They cost about $150 from Napa. I need some way if testing it to ensure I need to replace it.