Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2020, 12:50 PM

Question Refinishing an older deck...

So, we are getting weary of repainting the deck on our rental property. Has anyone ever used a sandblasting service to remove deck stain? Or just a heavy duty sander? I am talking at least 12 layers of solid stain. Not sure if a stain stripper would work on that. We have used stripper and a pressure washer to refinish a cedar deck that had very little transparent finish on it, and that was quite a job. Just getting tired of repainting the deck after each tenant due to shovel scraping , dog claws and general rough activity. Our current tenants who are quite conscientious just informed me that the latest coat is coming off already. We prepped properly and used a good product, too.It is a simple deck, about 20 by 20.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Last edited by molly; 01-01-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:55 PM

Probably easier and cheaper to replace just the deck boards.

This was posted last week.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=374410
Old 01-01-2020, 02:36 PM

I haven't tried to sandblast wood on purpose, I have done it accidentally a couple times. It almost immediately destroys the wood. Can't see it working to remove stain.

Best bet would be to rent a sander made for large hardwood floor installation and sand off the finish. Cheeper than replacing the decking (as long as you don't count your labor as a cost).

If the composite decking is still on a 75% off deal may be worth going that route. It is more durable and longer lasting with virtually zero maintenance once installed.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:58 PM

My relatively new deck would not hold stain very well. South facing, it required constant attention. Pain in the butt.

Heavy duty sander turned out to be the best option.

Leave a bit of a rough finish, then three coats of solid stain. I brought a guy in to do mine, its 12 X 40. He basically used a floor sander and it turned out very good.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:03 PM

Default stain

when you do refinish spend the extra money and use the best stain available I would suggest "Flood Stain" believe Dulux Stores sell it.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:17 PM

I have been happy with sansin stains, but when I use stain I use a transparent and cut with at least 10% water. Still gives some uv protection, but will never flake off. It will grey naturally but slower and not be as visable under the stain
I will never apply anything thats thick enough to peel. Semi transparent and solid stains are all garbage unless you like scraping.
My 2c
Old 01-01-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
when you do refinish spend the extra money and use the best stain available I would suggest "Flood Stain" believe Dulux Stores sell it.
That is what we have been using, except the last was Arbourcoat by Benjamin Moore. Dulux actually gave us a can for free as I showed them photos of the deck after a few months, but it was largely due to the 2018 bad winter and lots of shovelling, which normally they do not warranty against, but I guess he felt sorry for us, haha. No more solid stains for us, though. Especially with tenants.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 01-01-2020, 04:46 PM

I used Flood product on a cedar deck some time ago,great product.
This go round I looked everywhere and couldn’t track down flood.
I settled on a Bear product... I phoned the company and talked to the techs wanting assurance that their product was a penetrating stain not something that sits on the surface. This is why it peels off, you want drive it into the wood not put a coat on top.
The Behr stuff was absolute crap, I have to put product on every 2 years, it peels right off.
I’ve been in the wood flooring bus for over 30 yrs and know how to prep wood and stain.
100% my next deck will be coated in linseed oil.
I treat any raw wood around our place w it.
I recently build a flatbed for an older pick up I fixed up, put old growth fir timbers w linseed. Awesome!
Old 01-01-2020, 04:59 PM

So I posted in a local Facebook group and a guy contacted me who owns the latest in sandblasting technology. Sent me a video. He is popping by to look at our deck later this week. I'll let you know what he says! Although, the video appears to have fewer coats of paint on it than ours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk3I...ZmPTEFfdU7sYiI

Old 01-01-2020, 07:39 PM

This advise is too late but for others who want to paint or stain their deck. Don't do it. A preserved wood deck does not require protection. If you must, stain it with a transparent stain and wait for a couple seasons to pass before you stain it.. Never use a solid colour stain or paint. If you do, you'll be asking for advise on how to remove it a couple years down the road.

I attempted to remove a solid stain from cedar deck boards with high pressure water. Don't do that either, high pressure water will certainly remove the stain......as well as wood.

Sand blasting sounds costly.

There is no easy way...
Old 01-02-2020, 12:44 AM
Banned

Ok.. SO you remove the stain just to restrain and remove again... Rip that sucker out and put down the plastic deck boards. Never have to repaint again.
Think long term on this.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:16 AM

My cousin used some kind of oil on his deck.
I always figured that had to be the best option, but he moved before I could see how it lasted.
Anyone have experience with oiling their deck?
Old 01-02-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
My cousin used some kind of oil on his deck.
I always figured that had to be the best option, but he moved before I could see how it lasted.
Anyone have experience with oiling their deck?
My deck and fence are hardwood (Kayu). I use Messmers UV Plus on them every two to three years. Doesn't peel and makes things look new again.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:29 AM

Use cutex extreme if you can find it at Home Hardware.

It is a superior product for ease of application, maintenance, and recoating in future years!
Old 01-02-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Ok.. SO you remove the stain just to restrain and remove again... Rip that sucker out and put down the plastic deck boards. Never have to repaint again.
Think long term on this.
No, I said I want to remove the stain and restain with a transparent stain, not a solid again. Our budget doesn't allow for expensive plastic decking, and our plan is to hopefully sell it within a year or two anyway.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
No, I said I want to remove the stain and restain with a transparent stain, not a solid again. Our budget doesn't allow for expensive plastic decking, and our plan is to hopefully sell it within a year or two anyway.
12 coats? Time to replace, end of story. Consider if the structural integrity is gone and the renter sues after falling through and injuring self. Boards rot, stain or no stain.

Grizz
Old 01-02-2020, 09:22 AM

I wouldn't be sanding if I had not used shadow track installation. If you have screws or nails from the top down it's going to be very expensive.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-02-2020, 10:20 AM

Using walnut shells for the sandblasting media will do the job.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
12 coats? Time to replace, end of story. Consider if the structural integrity is gone and the renter sues after falling through and injuring self. Boards rot, stain or no stain.

Grizz
We have painted it about six times, at two coats per time. Bought in 2010. It is a ground level deck, and appears to be in very good shape except the solid stain does not hold up.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Use cutex extreme if you can find it at Home Hardware.
It is a superior product for ease of application, maintenance, and recoating in future years!
Cutek. I hadn't heard of that one, thanks! I googled it and read a blog by some folks at the Deck Store in Calgary about using this. Looks like a great product.

https://www.thedeckstore.ca/blog/cut...in-in-calgary/

Old 01-02-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
We have painted it about six times, at two coats per time. Bought in 2010. It is a ground level deck, and appears to be in very good shape except the solid stain does not hold up.
Solid stain these days is basically paint and not very good paint at that.

Grizz
Old 01-02-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleprock View Post
Using walnut shells for the sandblasting media will do the job.
This^^^^^^

Then spray on a good stain. Unless you’re willing to go with a synthetic board you’ll need to do this every 2-3 years. Have you thought of putting a roof over it gazebo style. It would provide some protection.

BW