Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2019, 01:41 PM

Default snip snip?

A recent thread got me thinking....

The wife has been pestering me for a few years to get castrated.

I went for a consultation. Good day for my doctor to have a jr. dr as a tag along. The apprentice was doing the appointment and my doctor was just supervising.

They were talking about their "needless/scalpel-less procedure"
Now in my mind I'm thinking burdizzo!!
I ask and she talks about cutting a cord...Wait...
I ask "If you don't use a scalpel, how do you get in there?"
She says "well, it's like a scalpel but not as sharp"
WHAT!!! NOPE.
I got dizzy just thinking about it and ended up cutting the visit short.
This was a while back (over a year).

Now I should have mentioned my one phobia is doctors and dentists.

Thinking about this again.

What procedure did you get done and how fun was it?
Anyone try the "needless/scalpel-less procedure"?
Old 12-31-2019, 01:44 PM

A buddy told me getting snip snip lowered his sex drive and ended his marriage
Old 12-31-2019, 01:47 PM

Had the snip in 2006.

Was no big deal. Just like the best orange juice, all the pulp, no seed.

Follow the after care to the letter and you will be fine. Back to work in a few days, don't lift to heavy.

Best thing I have done, no effect to sex drive.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:49 PM

My wife had c sections so she had her tubes tied after the last one. I didn’t complain.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:49 PM

From a deeply regrettable personal experience with a painful 18 months aftermath and lingering scar tissue issues-

RUN
Old 12-31-2019, 01:58 PM

Post Vasectomy Pain is real!
Varies among men. For me it was 3 weeks of excruciating pain....I would still do it again if it means no invasive surgery for the wife.

No other symptoms. Sex drive is as strong as ever.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2019, 02:03 PM

Easy peasy and forget about it. I was snipped many moons ago and the procedure was not even painful. Discomfort at best. The recovery is quick unless something went wrong. I was back at work that afternoon. Of all my friends and myself who had it done, not one had an issue with pain or a long recovery. Surprised to hear some have.

Go old school and get snipped. Then its done and done. Never heard anyone have low sex drive after a Vas. After Prostate surgery ya, not this one.

As for the interns, same here. First visit and had a couple interns with him, no biggie. Go for the procedure and in walks the doc with a female intern who he advised will be doing the surgery under his supervision. That ok with you he asks? Sure, not rescheduling lol.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:08 PM

After a few more drinks tonight you could probably do it yourself. Then post it on YouTube and send it to the overpopulated and you have solved climate change
Old 12-31-2019, 02:08 PM

I'm guessing I was your inspiration? I would/will be going this route, if you're happy with your kid situation and not wanting more. Couple guys I know had 1-2 day recoverys.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
After a few more drinks tonight you could probably do it yourself. Then post it on YouTube and send it to the overpopulated and you have solved climate change
Shhhh. If they think being intact causes climate change we might get taxed on it.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:25 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink The wife has been pestering me for a few years to get castrated.

to deprive of strength, power, or efficiency; weaken....what is she up to?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-31-2019, 02:31 PM

Had it done long time ago! No problem! Just don't go dancing the next night!
Don't ask me , how I know!
Old 12-31-2019, 02:42 PM

I did the scalpel-less version. 6 minutes in and out with minor discomfort, no pain. Recovery involved sitting on the couch the first day, walking the day after and all but back to normal by the third day (I wouldn’t of played sports but could get around without feeling like something had happened). I didn’t have any swelling or bruising, no scar, no stitches and no loss of drive.
Man up and get it done, your wife didn’t snivel like that when she had the children did she?
Old 12-31-2019, 02:45 PM

I did it several years ago, no scalpul method. It was pretty simple got er done on friday and i was at work monday . Drove myself there and back no problem. Freezing doesnt really work on me tho so during the 10-15 min of procedure i learned two things: (1) the ole chords are actually attached to the top of your lungs and (2) I had no idea i could arch my back that far

All kidding aside its fast and simple , they basically pull each chord out thru a hole so small it doesnt even require a stitch. Snip it , knot it , quick lazer and back inside they go ,then its thank you son and see you in a couple months for a sample
Old 12-31-2019, 02:48 PM

I did the no scalpel method. Took a couple days off work and followed the recommended recovery. 30 days after the procedure zero pain and I forgot I even had it done. Took like 20-30 mins to get done. Drove home watched some Netflix and chilled alone.

Lots of soft dudes out there complain about it.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:50 PM

I had it done 27 years ago. Managed to grow a giant varicose vein it there, it is larger than either testicle. They tell me it's not a problem and it hasn't been for 20 years. Did not notice a drop in sex drive.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-31-2019, 02:50 PM

I don't know how I got so lucky, but back in the day, my GP was also a general surgeon. I got scheduled into the OR, given sedation, but not intubated. Woke up an hour later snipped. No memory, no pain.

THAT is the way to go. imho
Old 12-31-2019, 03:24 PM

Had it done 35yrs ago in doctors office, bit of pain for a few days. The wife was happy and we had no issues after that, in fact it was better. today the problem is getting it up.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:37 PM

Snip Thursday. Frozen peas on groin for a day or two. Back working Monday albeit stepping up curbs slowly for a few more days. No other issues. Waiting list was long. I asked for any openings. Opening the following week which was awesome. Doctor laughed and said their are a few scaredy-cats that bail.

Main thing to know is if for sure you’re done having kids. Reversal is supposed to be very painful.

Another way to look at it. Your wife had your kids that trashed her body. Tubal ligation is a surgery she should not have to endure since a vasectomy is so simple.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-31-2019, 03:46 PM

Had mine done in 1980, like Pikergolf I have a varicose vein in my scrotum that's about the size of my testicles, but it never gave me a moments greif, just make sure you follow the post surgery rest, I didn't, mistake, huge mistake, the boys ended up swollen about the size of an 8 ball and the same color, not fun at all.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:51 PM

I had the non scalpel method about 15 years ago and it went totally fine. Tiny incision, pull out the tube, cut and cauterized, and put back in. I even got a couple fancy titanium caps put on the ends, so now I can say I'm part bionic down there

There was minor discomfort when the doc gave the shot of anesthesia (for a couple seconds it felt like someone grabbed your balls and squeezed, but then all good after that.) I have to say it was a bit disconcerting to see a small plume of smoke rising above my crotch during the cauterization process.

Rested for a couple days and good to go. The only real negative side effect was the T3's they gave me post-procedure. Never had them before and learned the hard way they don't agree with me.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:51 PM

Did it myself

Havalon, soldering gun, everclear, little mirror

No problem

Sex drive was affected tho....by half

Down to 300 times per year.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:03 PM

Default Objective opinion

From my personal, female perspective: it isn't necessarily "easier" or "better" for the man to have a vasectomy. There are risks and benefits to either having a surgery, and each couple needs to work with their doctors to determine what is best for them.

Seriously - you and your wife need to both sit down together with your doctor, review both of your current health conditions, review both of your medical histories (personal and family), and review the options for both of you including time off work and risks / side effects. It is imperative that emotional and mental reservations be included in the discussion, since there could absolutely be a risk of serious impact.

If you decide together that it would be least risk / most benefit for you to have the vasectomy, then work with your doctor to set it up in such a way as to be the least stressful for you. If general anesthetic sounds less stressful, then see if that is an option. If local anesthetic sounds better, then discuss what anti-stress meds can be provided beforehand, as well as what amnesiacs can be administered so that you will quickly forget the procedure.

Be totally open with your wife and your doc, and you all should be able to come up with the solution that has the least risks / most benefits for you as a couple.

"Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions....It's the only way to make progress." - from Sir Terry Pratchett's The Truth
Old 12-31-2019, 04:06 PM

Everyone has a different story. Did mine 10 ish years ago. Won’t get into detail other than procedure was easy, and orgasms next 1/2 year terribly painful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2019, 04:22 PM

Default Snip

Well you probably don’t wanna read this one. I got snipped in
My late twenties after the 3 kids. Doc told me I should feel no discomfort, as he was working on the first side I could feel the blades of the scissors slide together?! Kinda sickening but no pain, when he went to do the other side I thought that he had stood up on the table and stomped my balls with his boot heels!! I sat straight up and yelled words that would get me banned here at him. The nurse pulled me back so I was lying down again and the doctor gave me another ( or possibly the first shot on that side, I suspect he forgot or
Missed or something). After that it took a few days of sitting around before I was up and about again. Not a pleasurable experience in my case.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:23 PM
Banned

Had it done 14 years ago.
An hour in outpatient surgery...a couple days of pain that required no more than extra strength Tylenol. No loss of sex drive or any abilities related...but without the worry of an unwanted pregnancy.
And statistically that is the way most go...less than 15% of men say they have some pain after a couple of months...with less than 1% saying the pain is 'severe'.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:26 PM

If your that scared, just pull out.
I’m scared of knives around that area too. Never had it done.
My 9 kids are thankful.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Did it myself

No problem

Lol- post of the year!
Old 12-31-2019, 04:38 PM

A guy I know has issues with long term pain years after getting snipped, his advice was don’t do it.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Did it myself

No problem

Oh my