Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2019, 08:07 AM

Default Hunting trip to Africa raffle

Hey there. Our gun club (nose hills gun club) has a raffle going for a trip for 2 to Africa and I wanted to share with you guys the chance to enter.
Draw date Jan 8 at nosehills gun club. $100 per ticket 200 tickets sold. Prize value $18,500
An Africa hunt for 2 consisting of 2 of the following
Black Impala or lechwear nyala, gemsbuck or blue wildebeeste Or black wildebeeste, Impala, blesbuck, springbok, warthog, dukier or steenbuck. 7 days accommodation. One hunt donated by Kalahari outfitters. One wildebeeste shoulder mount or up to $1500 value towards a mount (1) donated by global artistics taxidermy.
(18 or older to enter)
To enter contact Oscar long. 780-209-1627

https://www.kalaharioutfitters.co.za/
http://nhgc.biz/

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-16-2019, 08:47 AM

Does it include flights?
Old 12-16-2019, 10:01 AM

I couldn't find any information at the outfitter webpage regarding the land being hunted. High fence, including farmed and/or recently purchased livestock?

How is this a $18+K value?
Outfitter is offering it for much less.

How did the Gun Club make contact with the outfitter, decide to do business with them?

I wish your club all the best in fundraising, it's just that I have been part of fundraisers and African outfitters marketing these "donations", clubs randomly picking one from a brochure with no vetting. Heard too many reports of these deals going bad for the buyer.

And I really dislike what South Africa is doing with their farming of these animals, no longer legally considering them to be wildlife, but now legislated as livestock. No way should a hunter that supports Wildlife be supporting South African "hunt" farms.

Your answer to these questions will be helpful in deciding if this fundraiser merits support.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-16-2019, 10:17 AM

Will see what i can answer.

Not sure on high fence, but i assume it is.

Hunt for 1 for 7 days for 7 animals was donated at a value of $8500, the club bought a matching hunt for $8500 so now the hunt is for 2 for 7 days for 14 animals total. Plus taxidermy donation of $1500.

No flights included.

Several locals including club members have hunted with him in the past. Thats how we got in contact.

Last years winner sent me the following:

Quote:
I just wanted to drop a brief note on Kalahari safaris. I won the Safari that Dougie Fletcher donated last year. My son Brian and I were his guests the last week of March this year. I have to tell you that quality of the animals was incredible. The hunting camp and accommodations/meals were absolutely superb and to top it off, Dougie Fletcher and his wife Anna with their staff made us feel very welcomed. Clean safe and courteous. I have hunted Africa previously and it is an amazing place, but Dougie took the trip to a whole new level. When I go back, which I will, it will be with Dougie because I know he will put exactly what want in front of me.
Kind regards,
I can put you in contact with last years winner or a few others who have hunted with him.

Hopefully that helps.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:28 AM

Without meaning to be rude..........I'd be much more interested in a guided moose hunt in the Yukon or a guided elk hunt in BC than a canned hunt in Africa.

If you guys do something like that in the future count me in for a ticket or two!
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 12-16-2019, 10:32 AM

Default Kalahari our fitters

To answer question from first post. Flights not included. The flight I took this past February was $1211 tax in with one stop in London.
One of our members hunted with Dougie ( Kalahari Outfitters ) a few years ago and highly recommended him. This will be our third raffle with them and the past two winners came back very happy. I and four of my friends hunted with them in February and I was very happy. This was my second trip over there. This area is very flat being in the Kalahari so not physically demanding other than hard on the legs when your staying low on stalks. Much of the shooting could be done from the truck I’m sure but they will encourage you to get off on foot once something has been spotted and make things more exciting and memorable by stalking in on them. We seen large amounts of game every day. The area is big and we seen mature animals they had not seen before. The perimeter is High Fenced , It is all cross fenced with smooth wire as they run a large cattle ranch on much of the same land but the game goes under / over or through this easily. He also has neighbouring areas where he hunts and has access to all of the big five. I would consider it to be fair chase and to give you an idea, several of us were after a Zebra and although we seen hundreds over the week we were there we only had one shot opportunity and I messed that up after a long mornings stock.
I don’t believe he has brought in any new animals lately but his father was one of the first people in SA to actively trap and bring back animals from SA and adjoining countries to start and augment his game farm
The staff were all great. The food was delicious. The stone/ thatched roof accommodations were excellent. Air conditioning and wifi as well
They are in the middle of building a new lodge but I’m not sure on completion date Any more questions I’ll try and answer and not be so long winded

Ps. They like to keep the groups small. When we were there there were only six of us in camp

Looking for original tang saftey rugers in 223 and 416 Taylor,a light model(black foreend)in a 257 and 7x57

MK11 or Hawkeye in 6.5 creedmore, 325wsm,17/22

Last edited by rugerman257r; 12-16-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:32 AM

I should maybe add that safari owner Dougie Fletcher has actually been here and been to our club.

Hopefully one of our guys who has hunted with him can comment on the animals being farmed or not.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
Without meaning to be rude..........I'd be much more interested in a guided moose hunt in the Yukon or a guided elk hunt in BC than a canned hunt in Africa.

If you guys do something like that in the future count me in for a ticket or two!

Fair enough, but no one has offered our club a free moose hunt to raffle off. But bang for your buck a moose hunt will cost as much as hunting several plains game animals in africa, and the weather is nicer! 😁
Old 12-16-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post

X2. Too damn hot for this cowboy.

Grizz
Old 12-16-2019, 04:21 PM

Default Temps

Go in July it’s a lot cooler than it will be here 😁

Looking for original tang saftey rugers in 223 and 416 Taylor,a light model(black foreend)in a 257 and 7x57

Old 12-16-2019, 04:42 PM

Just curious. Are these winnings transferable?
Old 12-16-2019, 06:38 PM

Yes if you win it’s yours to do as you wish

Old 12-16-2019, 07:33 PM

That’s a 10K hunt ....if that.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
That’s a 10K hunt ....if that.
If you are referring to Kalahari's prices on the website you may have neglected to include the extra accommodation fees.

Old 12-16-2019, 09:51 PM

His website is in US dollars, and his hunt packages dont include accomodations at $400/day. Thats $5600 US just for 7 days x 2 hunters, or $7300 Canadian. Even if you think those prices are high, how many raffles do you see giving away a prize valued at 50% of ticket sales, much less 90%.

If you dont want a ticket, thats fine, but stop trying to make it look like a scam. The raffle is an awesome prize. I can put anyone in touch with last years winner, and last years package was much smaller then this years.

Someone is gonna be very happy to win this, i you wouldnt be happy to win this, no one is making you buy a ticket.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:00 PM

Here is some quick math using my 2017 price list
BLACK Impala $3000
Or Red Lechwe $3000
Or Nyala $2900

Gemsbok $1100
Or Blue or Black Wildebeest $990

Impala $550

Blesbuck $550

Springbok $600

Worthog $400

Duiker or Steenbok $200

That’s about $6300 American or $8300 Canadian
Times that by two and thats around $16,600 before
Accommodation then through in a $1500 mount and your
Pretty close to $18,100

There are outfitters that offer these same animals cheaper but I’m not sure you
Will find many that beat these prices while able to put you onto the quality of
Animals these guys can. They have many animals that will put your name in the books if that’s something you strive for. The biggest won’t come easy but that’s why they get old enough to be that big, Just like anywhere in the wild. even though these are technically fenced in, the vast areas they can cover makes it nothing like sitting over a corn pile in a 30 acre pasture like some may envision

Good luck to anyone who buys a ticket. If anyone wants a first hand account you can pm me and I’d be happy to talk or like scar270 said he can put you into contact with last years winner

Old 12-16-2019, 11:05 PM

What's the matter with you guys? The fellows offering raffle tickets to help out a non-profit sportsman club and you guys jump on him as if he's a scam artist! If it's not your cup of tea, fine - skip it. If you're interested - call the contact he's provided.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
What's the matter with you guys? The fellows offering raffle tickets to help out a non-profit sportsman club and you guys jump on him as if he's a scam artist! If it's not your cup of tea, fine - skip it. If you're interested - call the contact he's provided.
THIS...........

Come on guys we can be better.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:12 AM

Other than Scar270, who appears to be part of the club,
No one called or accused this as being a scam.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-17-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Other than Scar270, who appears to be part of the club,
No one called or accused this as being a scam.
No but multiple people commented on the price being way too high which is just the same

Old 12-17-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
No but multiple people commented on the price being way too high which is just the same
Not that the price is too high, just that it doesn't align with the outfitter's information.

You guys are taking the wrong perspective on this.

Being questioned and answering provides good information for people to jump on board.

If you haven't noticed, it is the people posing questions that have kept this thread alive and gaining views.

You're welcome.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:33 AM

Supporting a gun club and good chance to win an awesome hunt and adventure.
I'm definitely buying a ticket.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:48 AM

Guys

I have hunted Africa but never with this outfitter. Temps in late July and August are 5-10C morning, 20-25 C afternoons. It is their winter season, you will need a good jacket in the mornings and even by afternoon, if there is any wind most guys will need long sleeves.

The hunt price being published for the number of animals over 7 days for 2 hunters is completely in line for high quality heads. The Outfitter has clearly been vetted and is a know entity with a good reputation. I think this is a great fund raiser for a shooting and hunting club. If you win it for a $100 ticket, it is still a great deal even if it was only worth $14,000. Given there are only 200 tickets that is pretty darn good odds. The club will get a total of $20,000 out of the raffle, lucky to net $10,000. Do you want to support our clubs or not.

This is a legit Club trying to do something good, not some fast buck "Go Fund Me" page. Don't like the deal, don't buy a ticket but bog off with the negative Nellie crap.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:17 AM

Walking buffalo, i didnt take your first post as anything but legitimate questions, which i tried my best to answer. From what i can read from his website those prices do align when you add accomodations.

Flippant comments about this being not a 10k hunt with no reasoning or justification but to slander the club bothers me.

If my critical comments came off as directed at you, i apologize. I did over generalize once I was annoyed and I can see how they could be taken that way.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:49 AM

I put my name on a ticket this morning. Thanks for reminding me Tikka.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-17-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
THIS...........

Come on guys we can be better.
Exactly, if you don't like the raffle keep it to yourself and don't purchase a ticket. $100.00 for a great hunt is amazing, yes you will have flight's tips and likely more animals. Its still a great value.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:35 AM

How are the sales going ?

Old 01-02-2020, 08:56 PM

Default Drawing Jan 8th

They are drawing Jan 8th and last I heard only half sold. Great deal here guys

Old 01-03-2020, 01:12 AM

I love how people who have never been to South Africa say that the hunting is canned. Is there put and take hunting in the RSA? Absolutely. That's why you vet the outfitter.

I've been there twice to a small outfitter. Fantastic hunting. Fences play no role in handicapping the game. Where i hunt it is very mountainous and brushy. I work very hard to get my game. It is great fun.

This outfitter offering this donation is very reputable. I may call and order a ticket.

If my daughter wanted to go, I may take her, or my brother, or maybe my friend and South African outfitter. He is one of my best friends in the world.

For those that want a moose hunt, or any NA game, I challenge you to get that donation. It is very hard to get.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:51 AM

Default Just ordered a ticket

After reading Deans report on his Africa trip with Stu Pringle I get the impression that high fence on properties 5000 to 30,000 in size are of no handicap to the game animals.
I too met Stuart Pringle through the Africa show a number of years ago organized by "gooseslammer" and we fully intended on going the following year until life and some health issues got in the way. 5 years later I still enjoy receiving the annual Christmas wishes and hunting updates from the Pringles. Raffle to win a trip is a long shot but an excellent way to support shooting sports and a club promoting it.