Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-23-2020, 10:39 PM

Default LOP - new rifles

So the last couple of rifles I've looked at buying all have LOP for tall guys, not for us short folk. That wouldn't bother me except they seem to be making them so they can't be adjusted. I'm short. As in when I lie, I say I'm 5'6". I'd like to look at a benelli R1 but they seem to be in 14" LOP (many new are even longer). I'm in the process of getting a new stock for a different rifle cause I don't want to cut the original. It irks me the idea of buying a brand new rifle and then having to cut 1" or 1.5" off it. In the case of the Benelli (and several others), cutting doesn't seem to be an option.

This must be getting to be an issue for youth and for ladies as well? I guess the firearms manufacturers are presently selling everything they can make so who cares?
Old 09-24-2020, 05:28 AM

I have the same issue. I look at as this....first off I don't ever buy a rifle for myself that I intend to sell. Also fit is of utmost importance to being able to shoot the rifle. I mod all my rifles to fit me. My wife's rifles to fit her. ECT. If an aftermarket stock is available I'll often do that and mid it but for the most part I don't care. It's my gun and always will be. I buy tools for a job not investments. They need to work for me period
Old 09-24-2020, 06:04 AM

Seems pretty straightforward to me. They’re easy to cut shorter but difficult to make longer. Not wanting to cut them is a personal choice. The odd outlier is an anomaly, most are built to fit the “average” guy.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Seems pretty straightforward to me. They’re easy to cut shorter but difficult to make longer. Not wanting to cut them is a personal choice. The odd outlier is an anomaly, most are built to fit the “average” guy.
While most wooden stocks are easy to cut, many plastic stocks are not easy to cut shorter, or you would remove the mounting surface for the butt cap/recoil pad. You can usually install spacers or a thicker recoil pad to increase the LOP.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:34 AM
Banned

B&c stocks have a fairly short LOP.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
While most wooden stocks are easy to cut, many plastic stocks are not easy to cut shorter, or you would remove the mounting surface for the butt cap/recoil pad. You can usually install spacers or a thicker recoil pad to increase the LOP.
This. And even the Benelli wood stocks have some weird shapes (I found some wooden ones on an American site).

I'd like to get a semi. The Libs have banned almost all the adjustable stock models (and I wouldn't be surprised if they ban the rest. I don't want to lose a nice hunting rifle). The Browning and the Benelli are the two remaining that are the most interesting. Haven't researched cutting down a Browning yet.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:40 AM
Banned

savage has some adjustable lop stocks? also if you're not opposed to chassis using ar butt stocks let you adjust on the fly really easy, but they don't have that nice feel of wood, you can order a boyds traditional wood with your lop as probably not too bad an option? i'm guessing there may be some other adjustable lop rifle options out there also
Old 09-24-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
savage has some adjustable lop stocks? also if you're not opposed to chassis using ar butt stocks let you adjust on the fly really easy, but they don't have that nice feel of wood, you can order a boyds traditional wood with your lop as probably not too bad an option? i'm guessing there may be some other adjustable lop rifle options out there also
There are options (but usually not what you want), but you really have to hunt. And when you spend a grand or two on a rifle, then to have to go and buy a new stock for a rifle you haven't even shot yet is just...

Last edited by Iron Brew; 09-24-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
That’s true. I glossed over the fact many synthetics require you to build and epoxy a wooden insert into the end so you can mount your recoil pad again. I didn’t think that was very difficult.

Personally I’m not a fan of spacers or thick recoil pads. The only synthetic I needed extended was a Pendleton composite on my kimber 338 win mag. I sent it back and he added an inch and a half for me and repainted the stock. It cost me $100 and it’s done so well you can’t tell the stock was modified.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
That’s true. I glossed over the fact many synthetics require you to build and epoxy a wooden insert into the end so you can mount your recoil pad again. I didn’t think that was very difficult.

Personally I’m not a fan of spacers or thick recoil pads. The only synthetic I needed extended was a Pendleton composite on my kimber 338 win mag. I sent it back and he added an inch and a half for me and repainted the stock. It cost me $100 and it’s done so well you can’t tell the stock was modified.
That's a neat trick. Never really put much thought into doing something like that. To me; I'd think that getting everything flush, and no gaps like factory could be a bit of a challenge.

I like wood stocks, so it makes things a bit easier. Not overly tall myself, and found that some rifles fit alright as is. Given the choice, it's easier shooting a slightly short rifle, vs. slightly long. Should be more of a common thing having rifles with spacers sold with. Also be nice if the spacers didn't look like an afterthought.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 09-24-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
So the last couple of rifles I've looked at buying all have LOP for tall guys, not for us short folk. That wouldn't bother me except they seem to be making them so they can't be adjusted. I'm short. As in when I lie, I say I'm 5'6". I'd like to look at a benelli R1 but they seem to be in 14" LOP (many new are even longer). I'm in the process of getting a new stock for a different rifle cause I don't want to cut the original. It irks me the idea of buying a brand new rifle and then having to cut 1" or 1.5" off it. In the case of the Benelli (and several others), cutting doesn't seem to be an option.

This must be getting to be an issue for youth and for ladies as well? I guess the firearms manufacturers are presently selling everything they can make so who cares?
They do sell youth and lady's models, and I'd be curious myself, if the Browning Lady Hunter models would suit a short guy, or if the dimensions (particularly the cheek piece) work.

And would fella get laughed at carrying a lady gun?... lol! How obvious do they make it?

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 09-24-2020, 08:00 PM

Shortest BAR currently in production is 13 3/4" LOP.

Still not exactly short... LOL
Old 09-24-2020, 10:14 PM

Browning X Bolt Micro 12.5 LOP
Old 09-24-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I've shortened several by glass bedding in a piece of hockey stick to screw the recoil pad into.
Very simple procedure for anyone with basic tool skills.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
I've shortened several by glass bedding in a piece of hockey stick to screw the recoil pad into.
Very simple procedure for anyone with basic tool skills.
yup, but stocks are getting fancier. Read up on the Benelli R1 stock for example. Makes me think twice before even getting the rifle, let alone trying to modify it.

Damned liberals wrecked my planned hunting rifle. Now I'm trying to make something else work.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:13 PM

I have also noticed many new rifles having longer length of pull. I had my heart set on a new Sauer rifle in 6.5PRC. Ordered the rifle and when I received it and shouldered it... it felt very awkward with the lop feeling too long 14.25in. I am 6ft tall but prefer my rifle to have a lop around 13.5. 😔
Old 09-26-2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post

There is a selection of smaller stocked rifles at the North Cabela's store, and likely the same at the South store, I think there are 6 or seven choices..
Old 09-26-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
There is a selection of smaller stocked rifles at the North Cabela's store, and likely the same at the South store, I think there are 6 or seven choices..
I appreciate it. I did check already. Not in the rifles I'm interested in though. I do plan on comparing the Tikka with one of the other model Tikka I was interested in though. The Tikka has a 12.5" LOP and the one I'm interested in was closer to 14. Different models though. That being said, probably easy enough to find a takeoff short Tikka stock.

Ideally I'd like to find a 308 Benelli R1 that has a short stock. I'm kinda holding out.