Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-06-2018, 10:02 AM

Default Buyer beware

Recently, there have been a number of members who have been ripped off by scam artist(s) on the Buy and Sell Forum. This is not new or unique to AO. There is zero we can really do to help you with deals that have gone sideways. Internet crooks know how to ply their trade. They are easily able to keep one step ahead of outdoorsmen looking for equipment. Rely on trader ratings/post histories/recommendations by others/face to face deals/Canada Post COD payment/Copious Pics. We have heard from members who have contacted law enforcement and there is really nothing they can do. We are on our own folks, so deal wisely.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:53 PM

Are you able to share the theifs account name?
Old 08-06-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcrazy View Post
Are you able to share the theifs account name?
Check out this thread:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=348179
Old 08-09-2018, 11:05 AM

I find it strange how many people from out of province are on here trying to sell items! Is there not a opportunity to sell there wares in there own province ? One fellow i ask what town he resides in. His response was manitoba! Weird
Old 08-09-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
I find it strange how many people from out of province are on here trying to sell items! Is there not a opportunity to sell there wares in there own province ? One fellow i ask what town he resides in. His response was manitoba! Weird
Lotsa people from out province buy stuff on here,plus guys on this site buy from across Canada,What difference does it make.OH yes there aliens out there .WEIRD
Old 08-09-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Lotsa people from out province buy stuff on here,plus guys on this site buy from across Canada,What difference does it make.OH yes there aliens out there .WEIRD
My fault i did not clarify . Manitoba is not a town. Sorry
Old 08-10-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
No outdoors forums anymore in Sask. I've sold a couple of items on here but bought way more than I've sold.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I'm from NB but worked for 12 years in Fort Mac. The first time I bought a rifle online was on this site. I belong to a number of forums in NB, AB, MAN, and BC. I buy and sell guns across Canada. CGN is my go to nowadays to buy and sell though. This is my second home.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:51 AM

I buy new, then deal direct face to face when selling goods.

That way the buyer and I both trade in a fair manner.

Yes, I see that there are good deal out there at 75 to 50% less than new but by the time I fiddle fart around,,, pay the shipping and waiting game,,, I might as well buy new and be done with it.

That way I don't end up with someone else problems or junk, and all the folks I deal directly with are awesome friends in this business,,, friends alway work with thier friends at getting things sorted.

I agree with a statement that has been said on this forum and others when it comes to buying on line.

Do your home work, let common sense be your guide, and only pay for what you can afford to loose.

That way its easy to sleep at night knowing that you might be less some hard earned funds, which is better than losing what might be a reasonable amount.

If it's that rare and item that I can't pass up on, my buyers make the deal in the Province or home states, my other option is drive or fly my self.

Nothing wrong putting a time line security deposit on it till I get 1 of the above options sorted to see if the deal is to good to be true.

Only thing is, I can buy a new mid level rifle for $700 to $1000. get a after market trigger, free float for a few hundred to end up with a consistent tact driver.

Find what works for you as its your dime, buyer and seller beware since there is more and more scammers coming on line each day on all Web sights, in most cases it works out, but in some cases it doesn't.

Knock on wood since I've never been taken for a ride online,,, less 2 folks not showing up to exchange the goods for cash. Ha.

Saved lots of money on those 2 instances.