Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-05-2021, 02:28 PM

Default Sierra 130gr TGK

Well I had the opportunity to shoot 3 whitetails this morning and got 3 different results.

The 1st one was shot in chest, just below the spine and dropped on the spot.

The 2nd was shot just behind the front legs and the lungs got hit good. It ran 30-40 yards with lots of a blood trail.

The 3rd one was shot a little too far back. Hardly a blood trail but enough. It went. 70-80yards.

I’d say the bullet performed just as expected and as I have experienced with other bonded and non bonded bullets.

Currently they are priced very competitively if you can find any in stock. They have a fairly high bc and are a modern design. Sierra says they are a tougher bullet. Worth a try if anyone is looking for something that is priced competitively.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:17 PM

You have a lot of butchering ahead of you .lol . Great day in the field

Was this with your new custom rifle?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2021, 05:31 AM

Yea it was with the new rifle. Figured the shots were probably 75yards. 20” barrel 6.5cm. Muzzle velocity I believe is around 2700fps based on a 500yrd zero that requires 3.2mils

Besides basic round nose bullets. I believe the only option in a similar price point is the Hornady sst for a tipped boat tail bullet and maybe the eldx. Nosler ballistic tips are more money.

I have found that the sierras shot well and are supposed to be tougher than any bullet Sierra has made in the past according to their techs so they could be an option for guys shooting larger game. I know some guys swear by the 7mm 120gr and .30 180gr. I’m hoping the tgk are a little more like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk