Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-09-2021, 08:37 AM

Default Range Finder for Longer Range Shooting

I need a handheld range finder. I will be using it for bowhunting and rifle shooting/hunting. I will be shooting out to 500 m and longer, now that I am a member at a gun range near Calgary. I want to learn how to shoot longer ranges over the next year and improve my reloading skills.

I haven’t really shot longer ranges before so I am not sure what I will need . Will the Leica 2800.com be good for what I want to do or is the Sig Sauer Kilo 2000 be good enough until I learn more skills.

I’ve seen optics like the Revic BR4 but not sure if its worth the extra money over the Leica for my needs.

There are some sales on this weekend I have narrowed to down to two rangefinders.
1. Sig Sauer Kilo 2000 - basic range finder on sale for $300.
or
2. Leica 2800.com - on sale for $900 - advanced range finder that “talks” with your phone, it can upload ballistic data (custom loads or factory) for it to work really well you pair it with a Kestrel Elite 5700, which I don’t own.

Open to other suggestions.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2021, 08:58 AM

Default RF

I have a Kilo 2000. It has worked for me very well. I’ve had it for years. It will perform well beyond what you are wanting it for and $300 is a great deal for what your getting.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:14 AM

I have an older leica 1000, it will range out to 1200 yards.
Those can be found very cheap as well used. Save some money for bullets.

On reviews you will find most range finders are rated for very reflective materials on their max range. Leica is one that will actually range further constantly then they rate them for. Mine is rated as 1000 yards and it easily ranges further.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:50 AM

At the range you don not need a range finder. What you will need is a Kestrel for wind, temp, humidity. Some wind flags to setup between you and the target will help too. Get good at the range first. You are going to need a range finder when you get to shooting at stuff at unknown ranges. I would start with a simple range finder that tells you just the range and does not integrate with a bunch of other stuff. Once you have some experience you will know what the next range finder you want actually is for your type of shooting. Buy a used Lieca or the Sig because it is inexpensive to start with. Leica resell very easily if you decide to move up. I am a big Leica fan because they are great range finders and the glass is so good you don't need binos for most hunting situations. Even for hunting a very long range I still use a simple, non-integrated Leica 1600.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
At the range you don not need a range finder. What you will need is a Kestrel for wind, temp, humidity. Some wind flags to setup between you and the target will help too. Get good at the range first. You are going to need a range finder when you get to shooting at stuff at unknown ranges. I would start with a simple range finder that tells you just the range and does not integrate with a bunch of other stuff. Once you have some experience you will know what the next range finder you want actually is for your type of shooting. Buy a used Lieca or the Sig because it is inexpensive to start with. Leica resell very easily if you decide to move up. I am a big Leica fan because they are great range finders and the glass is so good you don't need binos for most hunting situations. Even for hunting a very long range I still use a simple, non-integrated Leica 1600.
I also like Leica products. I have their bino's and appreciate their glass. Just wasn't sure if I would use the Ballistic stuff right away, the 2800.com has shows barometric pressure, altitude and a bunch of other stuff, just not sure if I will need it for the first year learning to shoot longer ranges.
Old 10-10-2021, 03:11 PM

Wasn't many used Leica's available right now so I pulled the trigger on a new Leica 2800.com today! Like the glass quality and build quality much better on the Leica over the Sig.

Spoke with Omar at Precision Optics about the 2800.com and the 2400-R. For only $200 more then the 2400-R Omar said it was a "no brainer".

He matched the price with Cabela's @ $899. It costed me an extra $20 for shipping but thought it would be better to support the "small guy".

I will grow into the features of the 2800.com. Looking forward to it!
Old 10-10-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
Wasn't many used Leica's available right now so I pulled the trigger on a new Leica 2800.com today! Like the glass quality and build quality much better on the Leica over the Sig.

Spoke with Omar at Precision Optics about the 2800.com and the 2400-R. For only $200 more then the 2400-R Omar said it was a "no brainer".

He matched the price with Cabela's @ $899. It costed me an extra $20 for shipping but thought it would be better to support the "small guy".

I will grow into the features of the 2800.com. Looking forward to it!
Actually that is a hell of a good deal. At that price it doesn't make sense to buy used. The ones I have seen they want 700 for a 1600. For 200 bucks more you got current top of line gear. Great choice and yes you will grow into it. Even if it has stuff u never use the extras were basically free. Let us know how u make out in you LD journey.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:59 PM

the sig sauer kilo 2000 shadow that was on sale at cabelas is NOT the sig sauer kilo 2000 that was renowned to be exceptional. I had an older kilo 200 and it was truly above everything else in its class. The cabelas special has a plastic composite body instead of the magnesium and less magnification in the viewfinder. It also doesn't range as far. like 500 yards less. My range went from 1200 yards in the field to 800. I had lost my original kilo 2000 and bought the kilo 2000 'shadow' sold at cabelas thinking I was getting the same thing. And with the $350 on sale pricetag I thought I was golden. don't get me wrong. for $350 it's still worth it. But I was used to the original and was disappointed. I returned the kilo 2000 shadow to cabelas and found a used sig sauer 2200 BDX for less than $500. Now that is a beauty of a rangefinder. The built in ballistics and app is very convenient. Especially for wind holdovers.I can't see myself going back to anything that doesn't have the BDX or equivalent.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
the sig sauer kilo 2000 shadow that was on sale at cabelas is NOT the sig sauer kilo 2000 that was renowned to be exceptional. I had an older kilo 200 and it was truly above everything else in its class. The cabelas special has a plastic composite body instead of the magnesium and less magnification in the viewfinder. It also doesn't range as far. like 500 yards less. My range went from 1200 yards in the field to 800. I had lost my original kilo 2000 and bought the kilo 2000 'shadow' sold at cabelas thinking I was getting the same thing. And with the $350 on sale pricetag I thought I was golden. don't get me wrong. for $350 it's still worth it. But I was used to the original and was disappointed. I returned the kilo 2000 shadow to cabelas and found a used sig sauer 2200 BDX for less than $500. Now that is a beauty of a rangefinder. The built in ballistics and app is very convenient. Especially for wind holdovers.I can't see myself going back to anything that doesn't have the BDX or equivalent.

Yes. I figured that out and helped me make my decision. Very misleading on Cabela’s part IMO. If you impulse bought without researching you wouldn’t be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
I need a handheld range finder. I will be using it for bowhunting and rifle shooting/hunting. I will be shooting out to 500 m and longer, now that I am a member at a gun range near Calgary. I want to learn how to shoot longer ranges over the next year and improve my reloading skills.

I haven’t really shot longer ranges before so I am not sure what I will need . Will the Leica 2800.com be good for what I want to do or is the Sig Sauer Kilo 2000 be good enough until I learn more skills.

I’ve seen optics like the Revic BR4 but not sure if its worth the extra money over the Leica for my needs.

There are some sales on this weekend I have narrowed to down to two rangefinders.
1. Sig Sauer Kilo 2000 - basic range finder on sale for $300.
or
2. Leica 2800.com - on sale for $900 - advanced range finder that “talks” with your phone, it can upload ballistic data (custom loads or factory) for it to work really well you pair it with a Kestrel Elite 5700, which I don’t own.

Open to other suggestions.

Thanks
I have kilo 2200 but they are with 2000 like bull vs ram
Still awesome if you are chicken
Old 10-10-2021, 10:04 PM

I got rid of a K2 for a Terrapin. Haven’t looked back. It talks with my Kestrel too.

But it probably blows your budget.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:21 AM

I have a Sig Sauer Kilo 2200 BDX range finder and it is as good as it get's, it will accurately range father than you will even shoot, just got back from a hunting trip and it will range trees and bush out to 1800 yards.

If you choose to get the sig sauer sierra 3 bdx scope later they will work together with the ballistics program on your phone, I have this set up on 3 of my hunting rifles and it works great.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.