Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-17-2021, 10:00 AM
Banned

Default Where to sight in?

I'm curious where guys go to sight in their rifles other than private property or a range. I have always gone to our family farm, but that's a 3 hour drive and always a hit and miss with the wind.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:16 AM

I have up to 100yd range right on my land. I live backed onto crown. I have a 1500yd crown land range 1/4 mile from my house. My next door neighbor has a 300yd range on his place. My brother lives 1/2 hr down the road and has a 750yd range on his quarter. I have a buddy 15 min away with a 500yd range on his quarter. I shoot / sight in wherever I feel like lol. It's great to live in the country around other gunnies.

Lots of guys around here head out to abandoned lease sights. Often they are vehicle access, 100 yds across and have large dirt berms for safe back drops
Old 10-17-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I have up to 100yd range right on my land. I live backed onto crown. I have a 1500yd crown land range 1/4 mile from my house. My next door neighbor has a 300yd range on his place. My brother lives 1/2 hr down the road and has a 750yd range on his quarter. I have a buddy 15 min away with a 500yd range on his quarter. I shoot / sight in wherever I feel like lol. It's great to live in the country around other gunnies.

Lots of guys around here head out to abandoned lease sights. Often they are vehicle access, 100 yds across and have large dirt berms for safe back drops

Then you get their to find a pile of crap, left by the last shooter.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-17-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Then you get their to find a pile of crap, left by the last shooter.

Grizz
Yup some guys are slobs. If you stay out of the " party leases" though you often don't have issue with crap left behind...its not always shooters who are slobs though... I've found old furniture, piles of old shingles, piles of drywall cut offs, garbage bags full if household garbage, appliances, tires, ect...I suppose it's just easier / cheaper to dump it on crown than the dump...
Not all the slobs are shooters but it definitely leaves a bad impression when shooters leave thier shot up trash and cases/ hulls all over the place.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:

You've got room for one more 😁
Old 10-17-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
You've got room for one more 😁
It's a bit more than a 3 hr drive though lol
Old 10-17-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Hey, can I be your friend?
Old 10-17-2021, 01:28 PM

I shoot out back of the house only 300 yards from the reloading bench.
Several friends and local and acquaintances use my range.
Some have brought their AR gongs and accessories for all to share.
I've seen on this forum someone asking "where to sight in?" Only to get snapped at to get snapped at to not be cheap and join a club.
After reading about all of the drama on here that goes on at the shooting ranges, I realize how fortuate it is to not have to resort to joing a club.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:29 PM

Default Indoor range?

Here in Edmonton I'll stop in at Phoenix. Only 40 yds but, no weather to effect things. They have a chart on the wall for 100/200yd zeros for various calibers and bullet weights. Makes for a quick and easy check or for a little trigger time when it's -25c outside.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:06 PM

Find a friend with some land, offer to build a bench and sight in his guns for him.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:27 PM

Gravel pits?

A crownlans quarter will be more than enough for you to sight in.