Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 11:03 AM

Default Solitude versus camaraderie

So this week I went out on a solo backpack elk trip into Bob Creek - this was my first solo trip, but not my first back country trip.

Was seeing lots of game - Moose, Mule Deer, Whitetail, Black Bears and even got within 16 yds of a spiker elk (Archery is 3pt or antlerless) and the cow he was with hung out about 60 yds away through trees so no shot.

On day 3 I came to the realization that as much as I enjoy the solitude of hunting, I also enjoy the camaraderie as well - even if that is simply sitting around telling stories at the end of the day. Perhaps if there was not a fire ban in effect I would have been able to enjoy my own company longer, but I wound up ending the hunt early after a sleepless night - first a whitetail essentially tried to climb under my tarp with me and made a bunch of racket, then at 11:30 a big branch broke over by my food cache and something heavy thudded to the ground - I though for certain a bear was making off with my food. I jumped up and made a bunch of racket and sent a bear banger flying over to the food cache (100 yds from where I was camped). Needless to say I didn't sleep much after and at first light nothing over by the food cache was touched but I had already made the decision to pack out during the night.

Though I may still attempt a few 1-2 night solo trips, anything longer will be with a partner to share in the experience (and workload to be honest as even though packing an elk out solo sounds manly and all - it would suck, even with a game cart).

So - if there are any other fledgling elk addicts out there looking to build a network of backcountry partners let me know. I've got one guy to drag out, but our schedules don't always align. Obviously a meetup / beers / range day etc. would be required before setting off into the back country. I am in Edmonton but like seeing new areas in the foothills / mountains.

Bryan.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:01 PM

I agree with you. When I was young, hunting by myself seemed like a fine idea. The older I get the more I like GOING hunting as opposed to hunting. The company and good times are more important than the hunt and like you say, always good to have extra hands when someone is dumb enough to actually shoot something. Gas powered recovery assist is pretty good too. Older we get the more ways we find to make it easier.

Hope you find a couple of partners to hook up with.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:18 PM

Having developed into something of a loner in my adulthood, I've never felt much need for camraderie period, but especially hunting. The one thing I will say, when a back country hunt is not going well, having a partner usually buys you a few days before you give up... simply because neither party wants to be the first to wimp out. Sometimes those couple days can turn the whole hunt around.

That said, over time my mental fortitude has built up to where I can honestly say I'm having fun on a solo hunt, even when its not going well, for about a week or so. When I first started, my threshhold would have been about what you described. So personally I would suggest continuing to push your mental boundarys just to see what happens. You could also try working for West Fraser, after 12 months you will pretty much need a week alone to sort yourself out, though you might also find yourself becoming a borderline alcoholic unfortunately
Old 09-17-2020, 01:01 PM

I hunt solo unless I'm in pursuit of waterfowl.

I like the solitude and tranquility of nature. In a way it reminds me of just how insignificant I am in the grand scheme of things. Being in the middle of the food chain is a humbling experience, albeit a nerve-racking one at times.

There's something serene about spending a week in the woods without saying a single word.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:12 PM

I'm just getting back into hunting. Past experience with others is why I took nearly 7 years away from the sport and why I'll hunt alone from now on. I also prefer to fish alone with the exception of my wife, dad or 2 long time fishing partners. The outdoors are my quiet space, the place I can be alone with my thoughts without the distraction of other people.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:29 PM

Most Big game hunts I enjoy being solo but enjoy camaraderie at the end of the day or meeting up to help the successful member of the group. Small game/birds I enjoy hunting with others

For the most part I hunt solo regardless because good hunting partners are hard to find. Even more so since I live a min of 4hrs away from I hunted with in the past
Old 09-17-2020, 03:08 PM

I have hunted solo and with one or two close friends.

I share the sentiment about the advantages of solo hunting; however when in really wild areas, I don't know how to describe it, I get a kind of anxiety when alone. It's not like I lose my wits or anything, but I don't feel as comfortable. I blame my sheltered upbringing. However, I still love challenge myself.

Over the years I've been taking the kids out, which has changed and evolved over the years as they have grown. Now they are talking about going hunting with their friends (with out me!)

But I love being out with a good friend or two, the camaraderie is huge for me. Even just to share those moments, the close encounters, the experiences.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:18 PM

I now usually hunt elk with a partner.....

It’s just easier to get the meat properly taken care of..... and that’s paramount.

Back in my 30’s and 40’s yea.... solo .... pack it out myself.

But now a days I keep hearing ‘work smarter not harder’.

Solitude is nice. And the bush treats you different when your solo.

It sure as heck opens herself up more......

Your haven’t really solo’d until you’ve had a wreck solo in the bush...... good times
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-17-2020, 03:22 PM

I am not much of a people person in my "me time" as well I just don't like people.
I can only hunt with one or two close friends.
I have said it before, it is easier to find a good wife than a good hunting partner.
And it holds true, I normally hunt most of the year by myself.
But back country trips are the exception. I take one person.
My brother, my best friend. The last few years my Spine doctor has come sheep hunting with me and my horses, and that has been fantastic. At first I was a bit worried as you don't really know someone until you spend 10 days in a tent, and climbing mountains and working with horses.
My brother and I have hunted a lot together, we have been close to coming to fists but that's mostly because we know how to push each other's buttons.
I enjoy the evenings with a good friend, around the campfire or playing cards in the hunting tent.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:36 PM

There are times and circumstances where I enjoy solo and others where I prefer company. It is obvious that it needs to be the right kind of company for each person's preferences.

Depends on the hunt also, some are safe when solo, others definitely are not and that is another question each person answers for themselves.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:47 PM

Have found myself hunting more alone over the last couple years. One being tough with busy life schedules to make it work for everyone and two it’s easier doing what you want to do rather than explain what everyone thinks you should do. With that said venturing out into the back country solo can’t really put you to the test. Lots of sleepless nights hearing sounds that you swear something is watching to calm nice evenings enjoying all the sounds of nature. I will say when it snows 4 feet and your with your lifetime hunting partner. You will be thankful he/she is along to help.

Solo hunts can strengthen your mental game or make you realize that alone in the wilderness just might not be for you. Either way you choose it just being out is a priority if it’s you alone or your with a group or partner.

My wife always makes me take my new electronic hunting partner (Inreach) anywhere I go. Just for her comfort in knowing as there has been some sleepless nights at home awaiting a phone call once back to cell service. Cause let’s be honest. Causing in hunting 50% of the time is goes as planned every time. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2020, 05:28 PM

I like going as a party to share the resources. We either then
split up, or do a co ordinated push.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:37 PM

I have a small group of people I enjoy hunting with If it’s not them I would rather be alone lol
Old 09-17-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I agree with you. When I was young, hunting by myself seemed like a fine idea. The older I get the more I like GOING hunting as opposed to hunting. The company and good times are more important than the hunt and like you say, always good to have extra hands when someone is dumb enough to actually shoot something. Gas powered recovery assist is pretty good too. Older we get the more ways we find to make it easier.

Hope you find a couple of partners to hook up with.
You summed it up perfectly!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-17-2020, 08:33 PM

I once upon a time a long long time ago, before cell phones, I spent four full days without any people interaction at all, no dog, no hoarse, no machine, just me, myself, and I. Closest thing I saw to a human was a jet at 30,000 feet. I still reflect on that adventure as one that all humans should do at least once. I think it clarifies how much we actually like or hate ourselves. It makes us feel small, it helps us to put life in perspective, and it certainly helped me to think about whether there is a God, or not.
I only stopped doing the solo, total isolation thing because I didn't think it was fair to my wife and now my kids. I still will hunt and fish whenever I can alone, but spending 12-14 hours and then re-connecting is just not the same, but a good second best. I am surprised at the people that can't spend a few hours on their own.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:37 PM

Before I got married I used to spend upwards to 60 days alone on a fly in line on s very small cabin ,

No phones , just a Sony AM radio .
My EDC rifle was a .22 and any meat o Steve's either Cought in my trais or shot with that rifle .
Didn't bother me a bit but I had to decompress when I got back to town .
I could be up and gone in a heart beat , down the Athabasca or up the Clearwater.
When I got married there were conditions and one was that I let my wife know where I was going - drove her crazy when I was MIA for days at a time.
I still love the solitude of the river and its surrounding bush , but do not go solo too much now except for day Trips and I have a cell home in case I get my tired old body into a fix I need help to get out of .
I never worried about it but it drove her absolutely crazy .
Waterfowl is a great thing with friends and so are pheasants but I am just as happy hunting Ruffies by myself with the long now or with a shotgun behind Louie the GSP
When my son asks if I want to go hunting however I don't care if we are only two or in a group!
Cat
Old 09-17-2020, 10:58 PM

I find getting lost in your own mind truly helpful in the bush. I used to treat hunting as hiking with a rifle haha. But you get to think about things and it’s truly enjoyable.

I love the camaraderie of a group too. It’s great. I’m starting to enjoy helping others get their game more than my own. I got a couple of deer trophy’s now so my goal now is to help my family get their trophies. Helping my sister in law get a deer last season was the freaking best.

All in all, whether solo or with a group, no such thing as a bad hunt

Old 09-17-2020, 11:05 PM

I am definitely going to continue with some solo adventures. I do take an inReach with me so a guy isn’t truly solo even in the middle of nowhere.

I appreciate both sides so perhaps the title should be solitude “and”camaraderie instead of “vs”.

So far I’ve hunted big game with just two people (some other once or twice offs), those being my dad and one of my good friends. My dad only ever hunted with me or my uncle so never had a big hunting group. So I understand that aspect and that not every hunter is going to click with every other hunter, some are in it for the antlers / bragging rights, some are in it for the party / time away from regular life and still others just prefer to be out in nature. I fall mostly into the last category not to say I don’t dream of big 6x6 elk or 180 class whitetail also not to say that I don’t enjoy a drink or two after a bad / good day in the field.

My kiddos are just 4.5 and 3 but I can’t wait to start taking them in a few years so styles will have to be adapted to them when they come along.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:08 AM

I used to love hunting alone

I lived 6 miles from prime hunting. I could buy a griz tag, moose tag, deer tag, caribou tag and upland tag and just go

Id sleep outside, freeze my azz, get up, hunt like my life depended on it, and I loved it

Now, if the boys didnt hunt with me, Id probably only hunt one week per year.....

Dont get me wrong, I really enjoy hunting, but I do not particularly enjoy going alone anymore. It loses something for me.

Id probably just lean up against a tree, fall asleep and a bear would eat me
Old 09-18-2020, 12:53 AM

Hard for me to reconcile hunting sheep alone. Those shared experiences galvanize relationships. Thanks duo for good partners that I enjoy hanging out with.

I have a little honey hole for elk that I do find myself taking people along with. It’s nice to share the experience of a new hunter shooting his first bugler. However there have been times I’ve wander this spot alone and do really enjoy the challenge. When I hunt alone, instincts of the pursuit take over and the odds rise that a tag will get folded.

There’s a time and a place for both. Each very dear to me. Now my oldest turns 12 early next year. Time to share many more “firsts” hunting together.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I used to love hunting alone

I lived 6 miles from prime hunting. I could buy a griz tag, moose tag, deer tag, caribou tag and upland tag and just go

Id sleep outside, freeze my azz, get up, hunt like my life depended on it, and I loved it

Now, if the boys didnt hunt with me, Id probably only hunt one week per year.....

Dont get me wrong, I really enjoy hunting, but I do not particularly enjoy going alone anymore. It loses something for me.

Id probably just lean up against a tree, fall asleep and a bear would eat me
You must think bears have a leather pallet lol. You sure they could stomach you?
Old 09-18-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
You must think bears have a leather pallet lol. You sure they could stomach you?
Lol

Good.point! I guess Im safe. Lol
Old 09-18-2020, 08:45 PM

Deer along the river, day hunt, like to be alone. Sometimes wife or son push a little bush for me. Big mountain hunts like help & company.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:46 AM

When I think back of all the solo hunts I did, the game I shot, and the challenges I faced alone it warms me. When I think of the risks involved in those hunts I wonder what I was thinking,young and fearless back then I guess.

I still hunt alone but when its more than a three of four day trip prefer a partner.As I get older its nice to have someone for backup.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:44 AM

Default solo

I am very fortunate, have hunting partner that we have been together for 65 years in the bush. Enjoy my grown sons hunts as well as actually enjoy his success more than mine.
However on trap line the wilderness experience is solo, except bring my springer spanial for company in the cabin. I do less talking to myself when dog is along, though enjoy a good conversation with an intelligent person on the line.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:10 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I enjoy the quite...the peace....life has too many things going on....noise....people...etc....I just like the getaway....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-19-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Hard for me to reconcile hunting sheep alone. Those shared experiences galvanize relationships. Thanks duo for good partners that I enjoy hanging out with.

I have a little honey hole for elk that I do find myself taking people along with. It’s nice to share the experience of a new hunter shooting his first bugler. However there have been times I’ve wander this spot alone and do really enjoy the challenge. When I hunt alone, instincts of the pursuit take over and the odds rise that a tag will get folded.

There’s a time and a place for both. Each very dear to me. Now my oldest turns 12 early next year. Time to share many more “firsts” hunting together.
I've done some solo sheep hunting and it's one that I have a tougher time with as well. Prefer to have partners and have been very fortunate to have good ones the last number of years. Good sheep hunting partners are tough to find.

With that said I don't think I've ever been so in tune with my surroundings as when out in the mountains solo and sometimes I miss that aspect to be honest.

Aside from mountain hunting I do most hunting solo when the wife and kids can't tag along or maybe one or two trusted buddies. Alone you can run on your own time. No coordinating, no cancellations, no going home early, no distractions, no bs.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:25 PM

This was something I did when I was younger. First it started out as day trips, then a couple over-nighters, but when it became "centering" for me was when I started to do multi-day trips, packing everything on my back and camping in a different spot everyday and discovering nature and solitude.

It really brought things into perspective for me and centered me to a large extent. Seemed to come back more mature and wiser every trip.

Like many of you, as I got older, I tend to hunt or fish with friends or family. The camaraderie is more important today compared to game you bring home now.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:01 PM

People who say they enjoy solitude, have never had it for any length of time. We're social creatures meant to be in community.

In saying that, I enjoy going out for a few days by myself with the Inreach so I can text back home. If going for longer then that, I'd like a sat phone with a few minutes to talk to people. These devices will help a ton on solo hunts.

Also try to recognize that most of the time what you think is a bear, is actually the wind, or squirrel's. Very few people have bear problems in the back country outside provincial/national parks. If you're sleeping in a tent, it acts like a ground blind and will confuse the bear. If you're not making noise, have no scent, and they didn't see you go in, then they don't know you're there.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-20-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
People who say they enjoy solitude, have never had it for any length of time. We're social creatures meant to be in community.

In saying that, I enjoy going out for a few days by myself with the Inreach so I can text back home. If going for longer then that, I'd like a sat phone with a few minutes to talk to people. These devices will help a ton on solo hunts.

Also try to recognize that most of the time what you think is a bear, is actually the wind, or squirrel's. Very few people have bear problems in the back country outside provincial/national parks. If you're sleeping in a tent, it acts like a ground blind and will confuse the bear. If you're not making noise, have no scent, and they didn't see you go in, then they don't know you're there.
Not everyone is a gregarious extrovert. The longest that I've gone without any human contact is 9 days. I loved every second of that period of time.

I did get a good scare one night as a result of a frisky porcupine wondering through my camp. I swear that it sounded like the Bigfoot himself.