Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-12-2020, 09:48 PM

Default Brother-in-laws first Bull Moose

Well, sometimes it all comes together...

I spent 4 days going solo at the end of August on one of our local rivers looking for a Bull Moose in bow season. I saw plenty of moose but most were when running the boat and that made for a tough stalk once they know you are there. I did manage to get close to a couple young bulls but being later in the day and far from camp it would have made for an all-nighter on the side of the river if I decided to take one and in the end I let them walk. I also messed up on a big bull that I got in real close with but never did get a shot. Pretty impressive watching him freight train out of there at 30 feet. I swear you could feel the ground move...

Fast forward to yesterday. My brother-in-law has a early season bull moose draw so things worked out and we had a couple days on the river planned. I picked him up well before first light and a few hours later we were on the river. It’s a bit more work these days as I sold my Explorer a few years ago and last fall bought a Solar 380 Jet inflatable with a 25hp (20 at the pump) Merc 2-stroke factory jet. I had high hopes of seeing moose like I had a few weeks earlier but with the rifle draw season open all we saw were other boats.

By noon we were 80k from the truck when I took a wide turn around a 90 degree right corner in the river. We both spotted the bull at the same time so I quickly cut in and ran the boat up into the high grass before we cleared the corner. Todd jumped out and a few feet up the back he could lay down in a good spot. I stood up as the boat was back around the corner a few yards and I could see decent bone in the binoculars. We figured 250-300 yards to where the bull was then the river turned left. I remember saying let him have it when you get a shot which was quickly followed by the report of his 300 Weatherby Mag. I swear I saw the bullet impact so I said now we get to see him fall over...but instead he started to eat again. At that Todd let him have it again and this time I saw the bullet impact right behind the shoulder. It had been raining all morning and just quit so it was pretty cool to see the impact and the water come off him. At that he started walking like a drunken sailor. No need for another one and within feet he was down and Todd had his first bull moose.

After the high-fives were done we jumped in the boat and went to go have a look at Todd’s bull. As we got up the river we could believe it but not a 100 feet up the river there was another bull standing on the same side of the river. It was farther around the corner so we couldn’t originally see it from where we stopped. At about 75 yards it wandered off the side of the river and into the timber before we could get a picture. Not a monster by any means but a decent bull much like the one we had on the ground if not slightly bigger.

We no sooner got out on the shore and I pointed down river 75 yards and a third bull walked out....and this one was a pretty good bull. I took a couple pics then told Todd I was going to get back in the raft and drift down river to see if I could get a decent video. I managed to get within about 80 feet before he turned and started to run away. One poor excuse for a cow call later and he stopped and turned broadside at about 60 yards. Boom, could have had him. He turned and trotted off again but wasn’t much interested in the cow call the second time. I’m not sure how to show a video on here but I’m open to tips because it is a pretty cool video and I don’t mind sharing it.

Back up river at the downed bull we took a bit of time for some pictures then the work started. Todd made two great shots and there was no meat wasted. Typical gutless method and the only thing that made it a chore were the million little No-see-um flys buzzing around our face. It was a bit of a rush because of them but also because we had a long trip back to the truck and I wasn’t expecting the inflatable to move as fast going down river as it did going up, which I hadn’t really thought of earlier. After a kilometer going back down river the math I was doing in my head wasn’t adding up to us getting back before dark so we decided to offload half the meat and come back for it the next day. That got us back for dark last night and another long day today getting the second half out. Thankfully it was only 2 degrees this morning so all was good with the cool weather.

With that I’m going to clean up the boat and pack it away for the winter. I’ve got a late season undersubscribed bull moose tag for the same zone and while I’d like to get back up river there is not much chance a guy could get back in the area come November. Heck most years there is too little water to get to where we shot the bull come hunting season.

Check out the background in this first pic...

All loaded up but as mentioned, it was way too much for this little boat...

A second load today with the other half of the bull...

Old 09-12-2020, 11:22 PM

Wow awesome work .. congrats .. that’s what memories are made of and what an awesome photo to to remember the trip .. nice work ..
Old 09-13-2020, 12:06 AM

Great job! Thanks for posting. Sure got the old 🔥 going. We leave at months end for our big trip.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:40 AM

Beauty, great hunt, congrats.

We leave tomorrow, set up camp and hunt elk for a week, moose in our zone opens the 24th.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:40 AM

That's a cool hunt. Congratulations on a successful outing. Enough meat there to see a family or two through the winter. Love the bull i the background.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:08 AM

Awesome pics and awesome story.
How did the boat do under a load ? Did you make it in one trip? Did you drift back or power back to the truck ?
Old 09-13-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Awesome pics and awesome story.
How did the boat do under a load ? Did you make it in one trip? Did you drift back or power back to the truck ?
We made it a mile down river with the full load. The boat packs it fine but couldn’t get up on step. Doing some quick math we wouldn’t make it back for dark so we ditched half the moose and went back for it the next day. It dropped down to 2 degrees overnight so no issue there and it wasn’t found by any wildlife. So in 2 days we covered over 300km on the river. Today is a clean-up day but we are both beat.

The Solar 380 works great for 1 guy and a moose but it’s a two tripper with the second guy in there. It does get you up some narrow channels or through skinny spots where a big boat would struggle though. In a year like this where the rivers are all at record levels you can pretty much go anywhere in your normal 18’ jet boat.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:50 AM

Again, if someone has a way to post a video I’ll send them a pretty cool one of the third bull that walked out. Just PM me your number and I’ll send it to you if you don’t mind posting it up. Cheers.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:55 AM

I can throw your vid up on my YouTube channel and drop the link here if you want.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:00 PM

Default Here’s the video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CNUCg1N3FYE
Old 09-13-2020, 12:03 PM

Thanks Flight, much appreciated!
Old 09-13-2020, 12:04 PM

Excellent hunt and story. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:10 PM

Awesome story. Brings back good memories in my early years up there. Calling moose at the mouth of the Christina River on the Clearwater used to produce really well....
Old 09-13-2020, 12:29 PM

Congrats to your BIL. Thanks for sharing

BW
Old 09-13-2020, 12:36 PM

congrats on the bull
Old 09-13-2020, 12:43 PM

Excellent adventure. Thanks for posting
Old 09-13-2020, 01:22 PM

Why doesn’t it ever go down like this in bow season...

Old 09-13-2020, 03:08 PM

Where did you buy the solar from?
Old 09-13-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badone20 View Post
Where did you buy the solar from?
Used out of BC last fall. The boat is a 2019 that was imported by a guy in Alberta. From what I understand he sold a few boats then wrapped up shop. The motor is a factory 2006 Merc 20hp jet and the pump. You can buy them out of Alaska at Jetech LLP.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:04 PM

Awesome thanks. Are you happy with the 380 or would you go a little bigger? Curious on your thoughts since hauling a bull out with it and done some hunting out of it. I would like to do some river hunts making a week long trip of it. Have a base camp set up some where along the way to hunt from.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:04 PM

Default Jet Boat Hull

I have a 17.5 foot welded aluminum jet boat hull for sale for $4000 that would carry everything.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:05 PM

Bulls in early season act crazy. Cool Story. Reminds me of a trip we took some 30 years ago up along the Peace River near Manning. I was teenager on my first big moose hunt.

Had a bull step out in front of me literally 75 yards. I raised my rifle, put the cross hairs on him, took a breath and carefully squeezed one off. He just stood there. I was stunned. So I quickly cycled another one in, lined it up (doubt creeping into my mind) took an extra breath and slowly began to squeeze and before the trigger broke, he just fell over (kinda sat down) slowly and toppled over. Crazy.

So I'm pumped, and know enough to wait a few minutes so I sat there shaking. A few minutes later I saw may dad walking towards the path I took into here (we only separated maybe 5 minutes before this bull stepped out) and we set out to working on the moose.

About half way through, my dad said, go back to the truck and get it down here as close as you can - so I went back, got the truck, drove it down a km or so closer, and was about 200-300 yards from where I dropped the bull, and just got out and started down the path when I heard a shot .......... I was confused, so I began to speed up to see what was going on.

As I rounded the corner, there were two bulls laying literally 10 yards apart !!!! I was like WTF happened.

My dad said he was cleaning up the meat and heard something through the willows, and spotted glimpses of another bull coming in to see what all the commotion was, so he chambered a round (bush was to thick for a clear shot) and waited for him - the bull stepped out and my dad shot him 10-15 yards and down he went.

2 moose within 30 minutes, and second one was free delivery ....... crazy the way moose act this time of year.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:11 PM

I like the inflatable idea, no trailers needed, simply deflate, roll up, and store. Seems like a decent way to go and more minimal on equipment and storage space needs
Old 09-13-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badone20 View Post
Awesome thanks. Are you happy with the 380 or would you go a little bigger? Curious on your thoughts since hauling a bull out with it and done some hunting out of it. I would like to do some river hunts making a week long trip of it. Have a base camp set up some where along the way to hunt from.
It’s great for 1 guy and a moose. 2 guys though and it’s 2 trips to get a moose out. It’s just too small a footprint to get up on step with that much weight in it.

I’ve heard the 420 can get more weight up on step with the same motor. Sounds weird since the boat itself is a bit heavier but it’s the footprint that helps it get up and ride on top of the water.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:12 PM

Thanks again for the feedback
Old 09-14-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
It’s great for 1 guy and a moose. 2 guys though and it’s 2 trips to get a moose out. It’s just too small a footprint to get up on step with that much weight in it.

I’ve heard the 420 can get more weight up on step with the same motor. Sounds weird since the boat itself is a bit heavier but it’s the footprint that helps it get up and ride on top of the water.
Well done- Glad it worked out for ya.

The weight difference btw the 420 and 380 is minimal but the capacity is +100kg.

The 420 accepts a larger motor. My decision would be made depending on the motor I could track down. I want the max hp for hull size.

Check these out:
http://jet42.ru/Intakes

I've got one on order- lets hope it shows up!!
Old 09-14-2020, 09:35 AM

Congratulations! Thanks for the share and good read!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 09-14-2020, 09:52 AM

Awesome story. Congratulations to you both!
Old 09-14-2020, 09:54 AM

you have convinced me to apply for my early season moose in 530 next year!
Old 09-14-2020, 10:45 AM

Good job guys. Amazing stuff