Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-30-2019, 07:58 AM

Default Shooting Stick Recommendations

Looking at options for first set of shooting sticks and thinking tripod is the way to go.

I've narrowed it down to Bog Pod and Primos Trigger Sticks, but trying to decide what option to go with.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations on either option...? Or another one altogether?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2019, 08:34 AM

I have been using the Primos Trigger Sticks tripod for 3-4 years, and they have been excellent. I have used them for moose, deer, pronghorn coyotes and ground squirrels, and have had new hunters using them, and everyone found them quick and stable to use. They will see use again this year helping newer hunters to moose and mule deer.Be sure to get the ones long enough to shoot while standing.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:36 AM

Old 07-30-2019, 10:15 AM

I use a Bog Pod . I also purchased the the optional Xtreme rifle rest and found it to be quite handy in certain situations.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:19 AM

Of the Primos shooting stick line up, which ones has everyone tried and pros and cons? I have been using a homemade stick cut from a willow but thinking about something adjustable (current willow only allows full standing shot lol).
Old 07-30-2019, 12:50 PM

I have primos trigger sticks and a bog pod. The bog pod is garbage compared to the trigger sticks.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I have primos trigger sticks and a bog pod. The bog pod is garbage compared to the trigger sticks.
Good to Know !
Old 07-30-2019, 01:25 PM
Banned

Primos tripod
Rest are not worth it
Old 07-30-2019, 01:45 PM

Primos prices jumped $20 in the past month or so.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:14 PM

Primos Gen II The tall ones. Been good to me. Only thing is they can skip when you are kneeling and you have them in the spread position. If the ground is hard at all the legs move when you aren’t expecting it. They are good still. Just expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 07-30-2019, 02:21 PM

I currently have both Stoney Point and Bog Pod. I also hunt with a buddy who uses Primos Trigger Sticks. I would say quality wise they are all similar, equally steady when in use, but Primo's is definitely easier to deploy. Very good system they have invented. Super quick. Primo's would be what I would buy if doing it again.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:51 PM

I have been using the bog pod tri-pod type for the past few years. I have had no issues with them and use them from most shooting positions. I also like that they double as a walking stick when in the extended position. Haven't used the trigger sticks yet but have heard they're good too.....
Old 07-30-2019, 04:13 PM

For the primos guys- with the taller version are you able to sit and use them to glass or are they too tall?
Old 07-30-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanCretien View Post
Primos Gen II The tall ones. Been good to me. Only thing is they can skip when you are kneeling and you have them in the spread position. If the ground is hard at all the legs move when you aren’t expecting it. They are good still. Just expensive.

You can lock the legs into position with Gen 3 tripod I believe.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:25 PM

This is great feedback... thanks folks!

I've heard that Bog Pod released a new carbon fiber tripod this year as well, and may be worth looking at. Although it seems the ease of the trigger with the Primos is the main selling feature.

Anyone know the weight of the Primos? I can't seem to find it anywhere online. The Bog Pod is 30 oz.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Primos prices jumped $20 in the past month or so.
I live in Calgary.Your right they can really vary in price.Cabelas,Wally & C-Tire are all in the same shop/center.Got the best price at c-tire & wally $129.99. Cabelas was 169.99 Primos trigger stick.I like it very much, 3 leg
Old 07-30-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
I live in Calgary.Your right they can really vary in price.Cabelas,Wally & C-Tire are all in the same shop/center.Got the best price at c-tire & wally $129.99. Cabelas was 169.99 Primos trigger stick.I like it very much, 3 leg

I don't think CT has the Gen 3. Just the 2. Tripod Gen 3 is 239 at Cabelas now.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:56 AM

Have tried pretty much every stick put on the market the last 30 years. Right now my favourite is the Primos trigger stick. Robust, easy to set up and deploy, good swivel, works well on binos or spotting scope. I use the Bi=pod versions in all the sticks I have bought recently. I tried singles, they are nice walking stick but not real steady and I find the tripods a pain to pack around.

The two leg version are much more stable if you angle them away from you about 20-30 degrees and then push forward on them by placing the sling swivel behind the yoke, closer to you, and using it to push against the yoke with. (Angle them a little further forward, away from you, than in this picture) A little practice and you can get them rock steady.

CT is definitely the cheapest place to buy them, regular price is less than Cabela's on sale. I use the tall version, they collapse enough to use sitting or kneeling but tall enough for standing. Most places I hunt, sitting is the min to see anything.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-31-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
You can lock the legs into position with Gen 3 tripod I believe.

Yup, the issue I have seems to be that the creep a bit, sort of bend when you put some weight on them, and it happens all at once, the feet give out. It’s not a deterrent, just annoying.

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 07-31-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Have tried pretty much every stick put on the market the last 30 years. Right now my favourite is the Primos trigger stick. Robust, easy to set up and deploy, good swivel, works well on binos or spotting scope. I use the Bi=pod versions in all the sticks I have bought recently. I tried singles, they are nice walking stick but not real steady and I find the tripods a pain to pack around.

The two leg version are much more stable if you angle them away from you about 20-30 degrees and then push forward on them by placing the sling swivel behind the yoke, closer to you, and using it to push against the yoke with. (Angle them a little further forward, away from you, than in this picture) A little practice and you can get them rock steady.

CT is definitely the cheapest place to buy them, regular price is less than Cabela's on sale. I use the tall version, they collapse enough to use sitting or kneeling but tall enough for standing. Most places I hunt, sitting is the min to see anything.

Do you have the Gen2 or Gen3 Dean?
Old 07-31-2019, 11:29 AM

I had trigger sticks and got rid of them and went to Bog Pod Tri Pod. I found WAY to many moving parts on the Trigger sticks.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Do you have the Gen2 or Gen3 Dean?
I have the Gen 2. I had the Gen 2s already and bought the Gen 3 when they came out but ended up taking the Gen 3 back. I didn't like the fact that the tilt angle for the yoke/head locked into one place. I like the Gen 2 infinitely adjustable head version better. The length of the legs on both lock up good and tight it is just the left right tilt of the head itself that moves on the Gen 2 and locks into one position or a second position on the Gen 3.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:17 PM

pole cats..
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:41 PM
Banned

Primos trigger stick 3rd gen. They're good. Although, they're noisy when hiking with them. You gotta attach them to your backpacks while hiking, something similar to the kifaru gun bearer.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
pole cats..

Or as I like to call them....scaffolding.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:06 PM

Tripods are heavier, but much more stable, and you can swivel 360 degrees without having to reset them, as you follow a moving animal, waiting for the perfect shot opportunity, or on multiple animals.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Tripods are heavier, but much more stable, and you can swivel 360 degrees without having to reset them, as you follow a moving animal, waiting for the perfect shot opportunity, or on multiple animals.

But slower to deploy and a bit of a pain to set up in tight quarters or on uneven ground. I wouldn't even consider the type with latch or screw action leg locks. The Primos tripod system is decent with the one pull trigger but feels really cheap. Don't know how long it would last.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:28 PM

Trigger sticks bi pod works for me .. I just wrapped the legs in hockey tape seems to make them a lot quieter when you hit a branch or something
Old 07-31-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
I had trigger sticks and got rid of them and went to Bog Pod Tri Pod. I found WAY to many moving parts on the Trigger sticks.
100%

With me everywhere and have been through hell!! At one point wasn’t working well, pulled apart cleaned up put back together and like new again. Have had them for several years now.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:02 PM

Bog pod all the way. You can mount your spotter on it also and use it to steady your binos. Tried primos thought they were garbage.