Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-17-2021, 01:03 PM

Cool Canvasbacks and Bluebills?

Hi everyone,

I am on a quest for a trophy Drake Canvasback and Bluebill. I covered several hundred miles throughout central Alberta this week and only saw a few bluebills. I think what was previously in the area has now moved south.

I have an old chocolate lab that I am trying to have some fun with and knock a few ducks off of our bucket list together while we still can. Planning on Hunting two or three days this week in southern Alberta looking for these two drakes. If anyone knows a good spot where a guy can get a chance at these species I would really appreciate a message or any suggestions. Obviously I will be putting the miles on regardless, but if someone has a good area to recommend please send me a PM if You can.

I’m thinking somewhere between Lethbridge and Brooks or further south from there.

Just FYI I do a lot of duckhunting in other parts of the province. So I would not be hunting these places repeatedly in the future. Just hoping to get one Drake of each pieces for the wall.

Thanks in advance if anybody has some tips!
Old 10-18-2021, 09:05 AM

Not southern Alberta but I have shot a lot of lesser's at North Buck Lake. I even got a greater scaup there once. A ton of ring necks too, if you are looking. PM me if you are needing details.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseSlammer View Post
Hi everyone,

I am on a quest for a trophy Drake Canvasback and Bluebill. I covered several hundred miles throughout central Alberta this week and only saw a few bluebills. I think what was previously in the area has now moved south.

I have an old chocolate lab that I am trying to have some fun with and knock a few ducks off of our bucket list together while we still can. Planning on Hunting two or three days this week in southern Alberta looking for these two drakes. If anyone knows a good spot where a guy can get a chance at these species I would really appreciate a message or any suggestions. Obviously I will be putting the miles on regardless, but if someone has a good area to recommend please send me a PM if You can.

I’m thinking somewhere between Lethbridge and Brooks or further south from there.

Just FYI I do a lot of duckhunting in other parts of the province. So I would not be hunting these places repeatedly in the future. Just hoping to get one Drake of each pieces for the wall.

Thanks in advance if anybody has some tips!
I've shot a lot of canvasbacks at Frank Lake east of High River. In saying that I haven't hardly seen any yet this year. Not sure if they haven't started to move south yet? We were still shooting teal this weekend which is odd. Slower migration this year maybe??
Old 10-18-2021, 12:39 PM

Thanks guys. Is Frank Lake safe for a dog to swim in? I've heard comments about bacteria and other issues in the lake from the packing plants nearby.

Used to hunt there a bit when I was younger but didn't know about those issues at the time.

And yes, definitely a strange migration this year! I shot a 95% colored up Spoony the other day in central Alberta! I couldn't believe it when the flock came over my head. Also got the nicest Pintail drake I've ever seen in 30 years. Normally most of these are gone by now, but it's been so warm it's creating some interesting opportunities.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:27 PM

Best place I found for these guys are the bush lakes east of Edmonton (Blackfoot). A late freeze helps plumage. For mounts though it’s mating plumage or an interesting pose. Mallards seem to have advanced plumes this year and nice pintails as well
Old 10-18-2021, 02:57 PM
Banned

Default Condradulations on the Pintail!

Quote:
Thanks guys. Is Frank Lake safe for a dog to swim in? I've heard comments about bacteria and other issues in the lake from the packing plants nearby.

Used to hunt there a bit when I was younger but didn't know about those issues at the time.

And yes, definitely a strange migration this year! I shot a 95% colored up Spoony the other day in central Alberta! I couldn't believe it when the flock came over my head. Also got the nicest Pintail drake I've ever seen in 30 years. Normally most of these are gone by now, but it's been so warm it's creating some interesting opportunities.
Congratulations on the Pintail Drake in all of his glory, one of the most beautiful ducks for sure! I have never been fortunate to get one. Did you happen to take a picture, would be great to see one? What is a Spoony?
Old 10-18-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
Congratulations on the Pintail Drake in all of his glory, one of the most beautiful ducks for sure! I have never been fortunate to get one. Did you happen to take a picture, would be great to see one? What is a Spoony?
Spoonbill, it’s a puddle duck aptly named for its spoon shaped bill
Old 10-18-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger View Post
Spoonbill, it’s a puddle duck aptly named for its spoon shaped bill
I think you mean shoveler
Old 10-18-2021, 05:36 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2021, 07:28 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, I always thought spoonbills and shovelers were the same thing?
Old 10-19-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice ducks!!! Those are the kind of Cans I'm hoping for! Well done!
Old 10-19-2021, 09:59 AM

Here is the Pintail and a couple of others.

Spoony (aka Northern Shoveler) is the one in the back. He's almost colored up enough to mount. Perfect other than his head. Will see what my taxidermist has to say about options...

Gadwall in the middle was the nicest I've ever seen. Him and the Pintail (plus a greenhead and some others) are heading to Art of Taxidermy this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 Drakes.jpg (136.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 10-19-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, I always thought spoonbills and shovelers were the same thing?
Never heard spoon bill but it could just be a slang name for Northern shoveler
Old 10-19-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I think you mean shoveler
I did haha
Old 10-19-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Ive had dogs in it for the last 20 years give or take with no issues so far
Old 10-19-2021, 02:56 PM

I'm just seeing divers start to move through edmonton area this week. Buffleheads and bluebill starting to show up on lakes in the area. On a side note that spoonie is really cool!
Old 10-19-2021, 05:51 PM
Banned

Default Bucket List

Thanks for uploading the picture GooseSlammer they are all beautiful. Clark Gable's favorite ducks to hunt in California when he was around were Pintails, supposed to be delicious too. The Pintail in Full Plumage is on my Bucket List!