Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-17-2021, 11:10 AM

Default AA rechargeable batteries

All you e - caller fans , what are your favorite AA rechargeable batteries to use in your foxpro ? Ive tried the genuine article "foxpro brand " and am not impressed ...whats the best ?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2021, 11:36 AM
Gone Hunting

I prefer hand calls, but do use e callers sometimes. It seems to me that the regular Kirkland alkaline give me as good a service as rechargeables, now they have 10 year shelf life, that makes them more practical. I found the rechargeables usually need charging when you are in the field and want them working..

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-17-2021, 11:47 AM

I have gone back to hand calls ( diaphragm mostly) but in my foxpro I have gone with the Duracell rechargeable. Unless it's really freezing they work well. I don't generally go out for entire days anymore due to time commitments so it's no big deal to do two different sets then head home... I've never had them quit on me during a stand but I always carry a spare set in my calling vest. I always pull the batts when home and recharge...if I was going for a full day I'd carry 8 -12 extra batts in an inside pocket and swap them every couple of sets.
I'm running a firestorm w foxjack decoy..some of the bigger units likely use more battery power??
Old 10-17-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I prefer hand calls, but do use e callers sometimes. It seems to me that the regular Kirkland alkaline give me as good a service as rechargeables, now they have 10 year shelf life, that makes them more practical. I found the rechargeables usually need charging when you are in the field and want them working..
Thanx Jim , I used those in a couple trail cameras and after they leaked in a week and destroyed the cams I threw the rest out .. I also prefer hand calls but find the fox pro useful in a few situations.

Old 10-17-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I have gone back to hand calls ( diaphragm mostly) but in my foxpro I have gone with the Duracell rechargeable. Unless it's really freezing they work well. I don't generally go out for entire days anymore due to time commitments so it's no big deal to do two different sets then head home... I've never had them quit on me during a stand but I always carry a spare set in my calling vest. I always pull the batts when home and recharge...if I was going for a full day I'd carry 8 -12 extra batts in an inside pocket and swap them every couple of sets.

I'm running a firestorm w foxjack decoy..some of the bigger units likely use more battery power??
I also have carried extra batteries but have never needed them ,Energizers were my brand of choice but maybe will try the Duracell ...funny that my handcalls never need rechargeing ..lol..
Any one ever use the bulk type batteries that Amazon carries ? They have a mHa higher rating ..

Old 10-17-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I also have carried extra batteries but have never needed them ,Energizers were my brand of choice but maybe will try the Duracell ...funny that my handcalls never need rechargeing ..lol..
Any one ever use the bulk type batteries that Amazon carries ? They have a higher rating ..

Duracell are the only rechargeable I've ever tried.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:58 PM

Check out Vancouver battery.ca they do have options for AA batteries
Old 10-17-2021, 02:02 PM

I know nothing about Foxpro, but I've used a dozen or so different AA rechargables. The only ones I use now are Duracell, and double charge them. Charge them fully, unplug for say 10 seconds, and plug them back in for another full charge. Most chargers are designed for the low capacity amp-hr batteries, and to charge the high capacity one properly, you need to double charge.

Vic
Old 10-17-2021, 02:13 PM

Sanyo or Panasonic Eneloop NiMh AA’s I’ve found are the best.

TBark
Old 10-17-2021, 05:09 PM

These are the ones I bought, they are the better ah battery I found at 2700ah each

vancouverbattery.ca
Old 10-17-2021, 07:12 PM

Default Powerex AAs in my Foxpro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
All you e - caller fans , what are your favorite AA rechargeable batteries to use in your foxpro ? Ive tried the genuine article "foxpro brand " and am not impressed ...whats the best ?

Used to teach hummingbird photography workshop each May using high speed flash to over power daylight. We used Nikon and Sunpak speed lights that had flash durations of 1/12000ths to 1/17000s of a second to freeze the hummingbirds wing beats (roughly 60-80 beats per second).

Pretty quickly a guy gets a good idea of what AA rechargeable work best (6 stations utilizing 5 speed lights each powered by 4 AAs for an approximate total of 200 batteries).

Eneloops worked really well, best and most expensive initially (by a long chalk) are the Maha Powerexs. Over time using Maha conditioning chargers the Powerexs work out cheaper, more reliable over the long haul.

As others have recommended Vancouver battery carry Maha and are great to deal with-you can now get thru/off Amazon.

Creeky....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 10-17-2021, 08:27 PM

i got tired of the AA batteries dying when i needed them so i switched both Foxpro s over to 12 volt security lite batteries ( about 30 $) and have never looked back , the caller will run for about 20-25 hrs on 1 full charge
Old 10-17-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post

TBark
X2
Old 10-18-2021, 10:03 AM

I found that in winter months it was best to just switch to the energizer lithiums. The cold doesn't bother them much and I would get almost a full season out of em before needing to change.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-18-2021, 08:02 PM

I switched over to the Maha batts as well. Exceptional performance thus far. Purchased a couple of different chargers as well. One is more of a rapid charge and the other will fully discharge, condition, show you capacity etc. Even brought back some batteries I thought were pooched. Taking care of on the charging end and grouping batteries has been working very well for me. The Sanyo’s got some heavy consideration and may get a shot yet.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post

TBark
I was always for the energizer lithium batteries, but have recently changed them all up to the Eneloop brand.

I have a battery operated dead bolt on the front door, and was getting about 4 months on the lithium batteries. Went to the eneloop rechargables and get about 3 1/2 months use before recharge. Not a bad option at all.

The eneloop seem to not have as much of a discharge while in storage and not in use as well.