Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-06-2021, 05:53 PM

Default Last day on the water

Took the boat to get winterized today, makes me whiney! Love the summer fishing & hate winter more & more every year. Hunting season sandwiched in between which is the carrot!!!
Old 10-06-2021, 06:08 PM

I use to dread that day so I feel your pain. Luckily now wintertime just means wearing a hoodie on the boat until the sun comes up.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:07 PM

Fellas ... not yet, toooo soon!

I just pulled my boat out of the shed this afternoon, still have 3 weeks of fishin, the last week of Oct is the best, Mr. White is aggressive & lots of them & Walleyes too, in the shallows.

Stay tuned .... got to get me another one of these.

D.

Old 10-07-2021, 08:17 AM

I don't recall the week last year (early Nov I think) but my last weekend in the boat was 6 days before my first weekend on the ice. Obviously I'm not much of a hunter.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:07 PM

Not a boat but I feel yah, I just winterized my camper. Was hoping to get out once or twice yet in October but the wife said no after our son was born. Oh well. Always next year!
Old 10-07-2021, 07:23 PM
Banned

Plenty of boat days left in this season including full moon from the 17-23 over my way. Went to Dief. on Thursday, dead flat calm with an approaching low. Didn't work out too well but 'tis the season. Talked to a guy at the mouth of the harbor at Elbow; said he had jigged up three nice walleye by lunch. I was long lining out in the middle
Old 10-07-2021, 07:34 PM

Hoping to get out a few more days
Old 10-07-2021, 07:47 PM

Me too got this weekend and next with the boat and we will see how weather is then. Hope I can go till ice is forming on the edges

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2021, 08:27 PM

I'm heading out Saturday. One day at a time right now but can't wait to get back out.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:36 PM

Me too but just not sure where to go with the kids. Either Lac St.Anne, Wabamun or Long they're all just over an hour from the fort and with gas prices like they are I have to pick from those three for trying to get on some walleye for the kids I would have liked to go to try Lac la biche as I've never been yet lol. Alway seems like that place is a top choice like lesser Slave but I'm on call for work too so gotta stay close. It's going to be a gorgeous crisp day on the water that's forsure. CANT WAIT!

Old 10-07-2021, 10:58 PM

Still 4 weekends left. Boat doesn't get put away this year until the 31st. One of my best days of the season last year was Oct 30th, the falleye bite was on!
Old 10-08-2021, 05:56 AM

Fingers crossed me and the kids have similar outcome on next few trips but don't have any go to spots that are always producing so just going to troll around the areas I think should be productive and hopefully find where the walleye are and use the right presentation with some minnows if need be and cross my fingers for a day to remember it's-6 right now at 6am in Fort sask

Old 10-08-2021, 10:27 AM

Just doing mine now .
Was going to fish longer in the season but I'm fished out .
Retired this year and been getting out a lot !
Old 10-08-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bluZebec View Post
Either Lac St.Anne, Wabamun or Long k
Don't go to Lac Ste Anne. The water levels are crazy low. Was out there maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago on the west cove side and hit a steel cable that was underwater and high enough to cause impact due to the water levels. Messed up my prop, skeg, and trim motor pretty good.....wouldn't want to see that happen to anyone else. I'd go to Lac La Nonne instead and launch from the free ramp next to killdear. Cheers!
Old 10-08-2021, 02:15 PM

Wow not good man where was the cable? I was launching at corsair cove and water was extremely low like you said and everyone else but luckily for me I've never hit anyrhing else knock on wood. Anyway just really hoping to find some decent walleye fishing somewhere close as I'm on call for work and will have my 5 yr old daughter and 15 yr old son with me. Wishing I could go to lac la biche but it's abit too far and much this weekend.Anyway sorry to hear about your day and hope mine and kids go good wherever we end up. Lac la nonne is another option I suppose just never launched new boat there yet and need to be sure wherever I go is reasonably good.

Old 10-08-2021, 02:47 PM

I assume it was the cable. Was talking to another fisher the same day and they mentioned they hit a "cable" in that area years ago, and surely due to the water levels, not ideal now. I was even using the autochart live share data for this side of the lake as well as navionics (yeah I know, out of date, but gives an idea what the lake structure was at one point) and there was no indication of any concern!

Anyways, I made a screenshot for reference for you. I put it on my NAS so others can view. Link is below:
https://meindernas.myqnapcloud.com:6...eee3ef46b0ca30

Password is: lacst3ann3

Hope that helps!
Old 10-08-2021, 02:49 PM

I was at lac Ste Anne twice this week . Launched from Alberta beach and from west cove . Yes both are shallow .but very do able in my 19 ft Lund .
But I do agree, the town launch at Wabamun might be the best l ramp going close to Edmonton .
Old 10-08-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I was at lac Ste Anne twice this week . Launched from Alberta beach and from west cove . Yes both are shallow .but very do able in my 19 ft Lund .
But I do agree, the town launch at Wabamun might be the best l ramp going close to Edmonton .
I feel it'd only be doable in zero wind and if planning to row out and in (or use trolling motor) . I couldn't even get my motor trimmed to just touch the surface to get us out.... Had to use our trolling motor at surface level. Previously, even if I was just scratching the surface with the outboard trim, it would still hit bottom and damage the prop on larger pieces of sand and such, so this time I didn't even try with outboard. The likelihood of costly damage is significant. Next time we'll launch at west Cove.... Looks better from there. Anyways hope that helps
Old 10-08-2021, 03:17 PM

Was that you out on the lake last saturday , fighting those waves .
I think you pulled your boat in 5 min before me .
Old 10-08-2021, 04:34 PM

JR dis your Lund red? I was out there last on Sept 11th. Blue and silver Alumacraft comp. 175. Been at Long the last two trips and hit the NSR last weekend down where sturgeon river enters I had very similar time as other fella with trolling motor and struggling to get out from boat launch even with trolling motor. I'm thinking I'll go to Wabamun or try out Lac la nonne maybe. Be careful out there and have a good few last outings everyone

Old 10-08-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Was that you out on the lake last saturday , fighting those waves .
I think you pulled your boat in 5 min before me .
I don't think so, I was forced to pack it in Sept. 19 due to the damage, But We were fighting some significant waves. That's the other problem with Alberta Beach launch.... its essentially quite "Open" allowing the waves to get big as there is no isolation or protection. Also, the docks orientation offers decent protection from this, But once out of the way of it...Whooooosh, the waves throw you back to the beach, of which, is even more shallow!

I work for a firm that designed the launch and I was cruising pretty bad on the design team due to this launch, however, I imagine at "normal" water levels it works quite well.

I prefer corsair cove because at least that launch is flat. Its quite hard to get a buoyant device to not sit level with the water when loading in order to line up with the un-level trailer bunks..
Old 10-08-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Just doing mine now .
Was going to fish longer in the season but I'm fished out .
Retired this year and been getting out a lot !
congrats on your retirement i to retired this year and have fished a lot.
plan on fishing until the first of nov. in the boat.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
congrats on your retirement i to retired this year and have fished a lot.
plan on fishing until the first of nov. in the boat.
Grats on retirement to both of ya. I retired from the military after 24 years this year but still need to work but can't wait to join ya folks!

Newer to boat ownership and want to keep fishing into late Oct/early Nov, is that an issue in terms of water freezing in the OB or am I pretty good as long as I properly drain the boat and motor after each trip?
Old 10-08-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cg84 View Post
Grats on retirement to both of ya. I retired from the military after 24 years this year but still need to work but can't wait to join ya folks!

Newer to boat ownership and want to keep fishing into late Oct/early Nov, is that an issue in terms of water freezing in the OB or am I pretty good as long as I properly drain the boat and motor after each trip?
i have the crest liner in the garage now as i have a wash down system that could freeze outher than that i just put the out board down to drain the water , have not had a problem with freezing
Old 10-08-2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cg84 View Post

I do the same as Fish99, Just make sure at the launch to put the motor down and up a few times to drain out as much water as possible. At seasons end make sure to get her warm and drain and refill the gearcase oil. That's the one area to worry about if water got in there during the summer.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:14 PM

My boat gets winterized and into storage by Sept 1 each year.....cannot give up waterfowling for fishing...I'll be on the ice after deer/moose ends cutting holes and slaying trout and pike then...
Old 10-11-2021, 08:53 AM

I too have been holding out as long as possible. Went fishing the other day, quiet on the lake, and caught quite a few.
Sure makes it easier with an outboard, tilt the motor up/down a few times and leave it down.
One thing I wasn't sure of was the live well. Mine is in the bow and assumed all the water would drain out the back. I blew air through both lines and water did come out. Just something to watch for before the real cold comes.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:35 AM

Roper1
On Saturday I was on the balcony drinking a coffee staring at my drifter under wrap, my wife came up put her arm around me and asked "It makes you grumpy doesn't it?"

I grunted in response.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
I too have been holding out as long as possible. Went fishing the other day, quiet on the lake, and caught quite a few.
Sure makes it easier with an outboard, tilt the motor up/down a few times and leave it down.
One thing I wasn't sure of was the live well. Mine is in the bow and assumed all the water would drain out the back. I blew air through both lines and water did come out. Just something to watch for before the real cold comes.
True dat! We've had some great days fall fishing. Little wool pullover & rock. Building a shop so will hold out longer next year!
Old 10-14-2021, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Roper1
On Saturday I was on the balcony drinking a coffee staring at my drifter under wrap, my wife came up put her arm around me and asked "It makes you grumpy doesn't it?"

I grunted in response.
Can get on Crawling Valley or Newell May 1, start to fish May 8. That's a loooong time from now, with 50 foot drifts & a 100 below in between. I'm rounding the numbers off a bit but you understand!