Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-02-2019, 08:39 PM

Default Game Bird License at Age 10

After going through the new draw booklet I stumbled across this ruling on page 12. I have never noticed this before and I went back into last years regulations but could never find it. If anyone knows what page it can be found on that would be much appreciated.
But according to this year it says a 10yr old may hold the Youth Game Bird License. But.... it is not listed as an important change. So, is it an error in draw book?
Old 06-02-2019, 08:40 PM

I can’t get my screen shot to load on here but it’s says on page 12 under the Age Requirement section
Old 06-03-2019, 07:30 AM

I don't recall this either, 12 years old was the requirement I thought. If this is correct my son will be pumped as he turns 10 in September.....
Old 06-03-2019, 07:32 AM

Pretty sure its an error and the age is 12
Old 06-03-2019, 07:58 AM

Looks like a rule change to me. Hunting Regs will hopefully highlight as an important change. My 10 year old will be thrilled. You would think they should be able to put in the Turkey draw as well then since technically they are eligible to hunt.... and they will probably be in their 30's before they draw it anyway.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:42 AM

The way its worded they can hold a Resident Youth Hunting Licence and would be entitled to hold a youth whitetail and youth mule deer licence as they are under 18.

It also indicates that they can't hunt with a firearm until 12.

My bet is on a typo.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:59 AM

I went back and checked the 2018 Draw booklet and the whole sentence about being at least 10 to hunt under authority of a Youth Game Bird Licence is an entirely new bullet point under age requirements in the 2019 version. No need to add it in unless there is a new age limit change. They are going to need to add some clarity for sure.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:05 AM

Agreed, I asked the regulation folks this morning hope to have a response later today.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:06 AM
Banned

They use the age "10" at least 2 times when speaking of game bird.
A double typo???

Willy couldn't shoot a grouse when he shot his bear at 11 years old. Weird how that works.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
They use the age "10" at least 2 times when speaking of game bird.
A double typo???

Willy couldn't shoot a grouse when he shot his bear at 11 years old. Weird how that works.
That was my thought. It was mentioned 2x all within a few sentences of each other. Time will tell.
Thanks
Old 06-03-2019, 07:44 PM

Calgary F & W office confirmed Game Bird hunting age requirements were lowered to 10 years of age. Big Game is still 12
Old 06-04-2019, 12:07 AM

Thumbs up Mb

Manitoba did it last year. 10 year olds can write and pass the hunters safety test, they are awarded an apprentice hunter safety good for hunting migratory game birds and turkeys only. No licence can be bought, must hunt under adult licence and share the bag limit.

My 9 year old is quite excited about next next fall
Old 06-04-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
Looks like a rule change to me. Hunting Regs will hopefully highlight as an important change. My 10 year old will be thrilled. You would think they should be able to put in the Turkey draw as well then since technically they are eligible to hunt.... and they will probably be in their 30's before they draw it anyway.
Unfortunately if you started putting in for the Turkey draws at Ten yrs. old now you would be in your upper 50's before you would be drawn.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
Calgary F & W office confirmed Game Bird hunting age requirements were lowered to 10 years of age. Big Game is still 12
Thanks for following up with that and good to hear! Will a 10 or 11 year old still be able to use a firearm to hunt game birds? The info mentioned for youth hunting with a firearm only mentions 12-17 year olds.....
Old 06-04-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Unfortunately if you started putting in for the Turkey draws at Ten yrs. old now you would be in your upper 50's before you would be drawn.
If you mean upper 50s as in 150 yep....
Old 06-04-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Thanks for following up with that and good to hear! Will a 10 or 11 year old still be able to use a firearm to hunt game birds? The info mentioned for youth hunting with a firearm only mentions 12-17 year olds.....
kids at any age can shoot firearms
Old 06-04-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
kids at any age can shoot firearms
Agree but figured the wording in the draw booklet would be 10-17 instead of 12-17 to hunt with a firearm if this is a new change this year. Still surprised this wasn't mentioned in the important changes section for this year......
Old 08-20-2019, 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=Zekeland;3985043]Manitoba did it last year. 10 year olds can write and pass the hunters safety test, they are awarded an apprentice hunter safety good for hunting migratory game birds and turkeys only. No licence can be bought, must hunt under adult licence and share the bag limit.

My 9 year old is quite excited about next next fall[/QUOTE

Hey Bud, glad your kid is pumped.

Alberta is full bore for 10yr olds this year, pass the test and buy your game bird licence. No apprentice, no shared bag. I suspect I wont get to shoot any birds this fall.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:33 PM

Here is the screen shot of regs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190820_203107_com.android.chrome.jpg (49.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 08-20-2019, 10:55 PM

My boy turns 10 sept 19, got the 20 ga single shot from my brother in July. Both of us and my dad have shot our first birds with it, his turn now. Hope he ca get a pheasant over our 12 year old lab
Old 08-21-2019, 09:47 AM

So if this is all true, and it appears to be, where is a good place to get your kid educated and to do their test. Can anyone recommend a good instructor in Calgary for my kid to get instructed and write the test?

Thank you.
SS
Old 08-21-2019, 10:12 AM

Sharpstick, it is all official and the best way to get your kid set up in time is to do the online course and test. I checked with AHEIA Calgary and they did not have any courses scheduled for summer. I would have preferred the classroom environment for my boy but when that didn't work out I just set him up with the online program. He was really into it and it did not take him long to finish. He did well on the test and his certificate arrived in the mail just a few days after passing the test. Once you have the certificate you are good to go for licence purchasing.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:36 AM

Hi guys,
I found out about this change from an email that was sent August 9th by The Alberta Conservation Association. Subject was Gun Raffles, Lizard Fundraiser And Hunting Regulation Changes. Anyone with a registered email should have received the same. Hope this helps. I think it's a great change and lots of fun to be had by all!!
Old 08-21-2019, 11:33 AM
Banned

Seems ridiculous that you can swing a shotgun at a bird but yet got to wait 2 more years to kill a deer with a rifle or a bear a bait at 20 yards. Makes no sense at all
Old 08-21-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear guy View Post
Seems ridiculous that you can swing a shotgun at a bird but yet got to wait 2 more years to kill a deer with a rifle or a bear a bait at 20 yards. Makes no sense at all
I don't think its so bad. I like the build up. Kids start with gophers and sparrows, graduate to geese and grouse and eventually the big game jackpot! They will appreciate every step along the way. 10 for game birds and 12 for big game is perfect in my opinion.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:24 PM

I agree. I all for more hunting opportunities and if one day 10 year olds could hunt big game I would be in full support. Having said that a dangerous to 300 feet or so shotgun and a dangerous to 3 miles or so centerfire is a difference in responsibility the way I see it.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:40 PM
Banned

Kids are hunting big game in the USA at 8 or younger.......I've seen 7 year olds shoot bears
Old 08-22-2019, 10:42 AM

Thanks Chad, I will look into this and get him set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
Sharpstick, it is all official and the best way to get your kid set up in time is to do the online course and test. I checked with AHEIA Calgary and they did not have any courses scheduled for summer. I would have preferred the classroom environment for my boy but when that didn't work out I just set him up with the online program. He was really into it and it did not take him long to finish. He did well on the test and his certificate arrived in the mail just a few days after passing the test. Once you have the certificate you are good to go for licence purchasing.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:48 AM

game birds is a bit of a soft start which is more easily accepted by those who have the ability to veto. I suspect if the proposal was 10yrs across the board (including big game) there might have been push-back or no success at all. I understand Hunting for Tomorrow has been an advocate of this for years but there was little traction.

Sometimes many smaller steps work better than one big jump.

Rediculous? or strategic...?
Old 08-22-2019, 02:43 PM

Regardless of how it came about, it will get more youth interested in the outdoors and get them out with friends and family instead of being stuck indoors. A win IMO...