Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-11-2021, 08:06 PM

Default Unpleasant time at the range

Well, I was at the range today hoping to have some time to work on a load I am trying to develop. The only bench available was between 2 other shooters so I set up. To my surprise both these shooters were using brakes on their rifles. I had never been that close to a braked rifle and I got to say it was not pleasant at all.
a) the noise was unbelievably loud and startling
b) the shock wave or the air that blew back and to the side was unreal.
There should be a special place for these guys to shoot.
Needless to say I shot a few rounds , confirmed zero for one group of bullets and left.
From this experience, I don't think I would consider a break.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:08 PM

Been in that same place. Guy with a .338 WM and brake next to me actually blew stuff off his bench, and made my brass roll. I had to leave. They have put up some plexi barriers since, but I won't shoot if there are any muzzle brakes at the range. Even double plugged it's punishing. Hate them.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-11-2021, 08:19 PM

To bad it was unpleasant but seems the guys were at the right place on the range. Maybe the range should put brakes on the right or left etc.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:21 PM

Neither of these guys had plexiglass between. I think there should be plexiglass between every bench no matter what. Just my opinion.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:34 PM

It sucks for people to the side of a braked rifle way way more then it does for the shooter.
The concussion goes out the sides and then back, with the air blast MOSTLY missing the shooter. So don't let that part turn you off brakes.

But yes they suck for others at the range, and some common curiosity can go a long ways. Just like a guy with a sks sitting down to my left then raining hot brass on me. Or someone desciding to also use my target when I am trying different loads.

Last edited by freeride; 10-11-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
It sucks for people to the side of a braked rifle way way more then it does for the shooter.
The concussion goes out the sides and then back, with the air blast missing the shooter. So don't let that part turn you off brakes.

But yes they suck for others at the range, and some common curiosity can go a long ways. Just like a guy with a sks sitting down to my left then raining hot brass on me. Or someone desciding to also use my target when I am trying different loads.

If the blast missed the shooter entirely, I wouldn't need both plugs and muffs to shoot my braked rifles comfortably with the brakes installed. And with the braked 50BMG that I fired, I could feel the concussive force on the left side of my body. As to idiots bouncing cases off of other shooters, we give them one warning at our range, they don't get a second warning.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If the blast missed the shooter entirely, I wouldn't need both plugs and muffs to shoot my braked rifles comfortably with the brakes installed. And with the braked 50BMG that I fired, I could feel the concussive force on the left side of my body. As to idiots bouncing cases off of other shooters, we give them one warning at our range, they don't get a second warning.
Your right, I worded it incorrectly, I didn't mean entirely. But the air blast mostly misses the shooter, (also brake design dependent).
I had a gopro video of my old 3 gill brake and you could see the concussion come out and down and miss the shooter behind the rifle. Still a lot louder, but the MAIN air blast misses.

Just next time you shoot, shoot prone and watch the dust, its not coming up from beside your head as much as it is all around you. Its still a /\ shape with the shooter in the bottom center of the V. Or stand directly behind the shooter, vs beside. Beside sucks, you feel it in your chest.

My radial braked rifle is absurdly loud now, and I wear plugs and muffs for it. And they are for me when shooting alone.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Well, I was at the range today hoping to have some time to work on a load I am trying to develop. The only bench available was between 2 other shooters so I set up. To my surprise both these shooters were using brakes on their rifles. I had never been that close to a braked rifle and I got to say it was not pleasant at all.
Needless to say I shot a few rounds , confirmed zero for one group of bullets and left.
I’ve been in this same position and situation of trying to do load tests. But I must say, I did not bother me.

I also shoot my precision rigs with brakes. Yes, I felt the concussion (all of us were prone shooting). I would just pause between my shots. It didn’t always work out, but it didn’t really upset my rhythm. The only issue was my LabRadar going off when it wasn’t me shooting.

It can be done. (And no, I’m not trying to start any arguments.)
Old 10-14-2021, 05:16 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

My type of range….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-16-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

My type of range….
Yea, I'm guessing you shoot at least twice as far as that!
Old 10-18-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Yea, I'm guessing you shoot at least twice as far as that!

Haha I get a close as possible to tighten up my groups…..

Old 10-16-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
A special place for them to shoot? Yea, it’s called the gun range.

If you want something like better engineering at your range, get involved.

And if you can’t have a discussion about an issue, then you have bigger issues than your hearing.

PCFGA on Facebook

Last edited by Albertacoyotecaller; 10-16-2021 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:00 AM

You know, if it wasn’t a mortgage payment per sheet of wood, I’d be interested in getting baffles between tables at the range.

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 10-21-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanCretien View Post
You know, if it wasn’t a mortgage payment per sheet of wood, I’d be interested in getting baffles between tables at the range.

The problem with that, is that with plywood, you wouldn't be able to see all benches before going downrange, to ensure that everyone is aware that a ceasefire has been called, and unloads and moves away from their firearms. Plexiglass is a better choice, but in winter, it can frost up, so extra care is required.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:25 PM

Just gotta work together so we all can have a pleasant time at the range!