Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2020, 09:55 AM

Default Emerald Shiners=Minnows?

Are Emerald Shiners minnows? I guess more specifically are they bait fish under the regs or bait like smelts?

A while back I found a tub hidden in some rocks on the bow in my favorite spot that a poacher left behind so I snagged them and put them in the freezer. Might be going to bait allow lakes soon and not sure of their classification

Been hunting this poacher for awhile but think he night fishes and is a litter bug also. Found Ugly Stick tags from a new rod, smelt and maggot bags and hooks and weight just throw about.

Refined my google search and found the answer. They indeed are minnows and therefore bait fish. Alowed in the few waters that allow bait fish and not waters that allow bait.

Last edited by CardiacCowboy; 06-04-2020 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Add answer
Old 06-04-2020, 10:26 AM

From the regs,

Bait includes, but is not restricted to: corn, cheese, marshmallows, meat, maggots, meal worms, earthworms, wax worms, gammarus shrimp, leeches, terrestrial insects, the larvae, pupae or adults of aquatic insects (e.g., stonefly, mayfly, caddis fly), bait fish, parts of fish, fish eggs, scented baits, power baits and all additives that scent or flavour artificial baits and lures.

Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is not allowed other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used.

Bait Fish means any of the following: suckers (family Catostomidae), sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae), trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus), Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile), minnows (family Cyprian), and the exceptions are that NO carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow can be used as bait.

Emerable shinners are not Cyprinidae, so they are good to go!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyprinidae

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_shiner
Old 06-04-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
From the regs,

Bait includes, but is not restricted to: corn, cheese, marshmallows, meat, maggots, meal worms, earthworms, wax worms, gammarus shrimp, leeches, terrestrial insects, the larvae, pupae or adults of aquatic insects (e.g., stonefly, mayfly, caddis fly), bait fish, parts of fish, fish eggs, scented baits, power baits and all additives that scent or flavour artificial baits and lures.

Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is not allowed other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used.

Bait Fish means any of the following: suckers (family Catostomidae), sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae), trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus), Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile), minnows (family Cyprian), and the exceptions are that NO carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow can be used as bait.

Right from you wiki links both of family Cyprinidae so are classified as BAIT FISH. Please edit you post to avoid cofusion if you agree.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
Right from you wiki links both of family Cyprinidae so are classified as BAIT FISH. Please edit you post to avoid cofusion if you agree.
Perhaps I'll be eating crow for dinner.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
From the regs,

Emerald shiners are of the Order of Cypriniformes, Family Cyprinidae

So they are Cyprinidae along with Lake Chub, brassy Minnow, Pearl Dace,

Emerald Shiner, River Shiner, Spottail Shiner, Northern Redbelly Dace, Fathead Minnow,

Fathead chub, Northern Squawfish, Longnose dace, and redside shiner.

I might have missed one or two.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 06-04-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Emerald shiners are of the Order of Cypriniformes, Family Cyprinidae

So they are Cyprinidae along with Lake Chub, brassy Minnow, Pearl Dace,

Emerald Shiner, River Shiner, Spottail Shiner, Northern Redbelly Dace, Fathead Minnow,

Fathead chub, Northern Squawfish, Longnose dace, and redside shiner.

I might have missed one or two.
Okay eating crow on that one. However how does that effect the use of frozen minnows and shiners, when fishing for say walleye on lakes such as pigeon, sylvan or gull?
Old 06-04-2020, 11:43 AM

I think it is regional regulations thing. In ES1 where I fish under general regs for lakes it say "Fishing with Bait Fish is NOT allowed in ES1 except at the following waters: Payne (Mami) Lake, Lees Lake, Ghost Reservoir and Pine
Coulee Reservoir."

Bait as such as smelt are not considered "bait fish" so alowed where there is no bait ban in lakes in ES1

No bait of any kind in flowing waters in ES!

For Sylvan Lake pp2

Under general regs
"Fishing with Bait, including Bait Fish, in PP2 lakes and streams is allowed except at locations listed with Bait Bans under site specific regulations."

Under Sylban Lke regs bait allowed so you can use bait fish

Very interesting I thought all flowing waters had bait bans in Alberta. Guess us ES1 fishers are too good and need to be restricted lol
Old 06-04-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
I think it is regional regulations thing. In ES1 where I fish under general regs for lakes it say "Fishing with Bait Fish is NOT allowed in ES1 except at the following waters: Payne (Mami) Lake, Lees Lake, Ghost Reservoir and Pine
Coulee Reservoir."

Bait as such as smelt are not considered "bait fish" so alowed where there is no bait ban in lakes in ES1

No bait of any kind in flowing waters in ES!

For Sylvan Lake pp2

Under general regs
"Fishing with Bait, including Bait Fish, in PP2 lakes and streams is allowed except at locations listed with Bait Bans under site specific regulations."

Under Sylban Lke regs bait allowed so you can use bait fish

Very interesting I thought all flowing waters had bait bans in Alberta. Guess us ES1 fishers are too good and need to be restricted lol
That is great, this has been a great look at the regs, and how you have to really read and understand before you head out.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:54 AM

Default shinners

definetly minnows.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
That is great, this has been a great look at the regs, and how you have to really read and understand before you head out.
Agreed, I love these discussions as they foster a greater understanding of the regs
Old 06-06-2020, 10:36 PM

Default Legal bait

What about frogs or tadpoles??
I can’t see where you can’t use them. A warden yrs ago said a mouse was considered meat.
Sst
Old 06-07-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshotom View Post
What about frogs or tadpoles??
I can’t see where you can’t use them. A warden yrs ago said a mouse was considered meat.
Sst

Hmmm wasnt hard to find for you.

From the regs under general regulations.

It is unlawful to:

Use amphibians, such as frogs and salamanders, as bait

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.