Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 12:45 PM

Default CWD mulies?

Has anyone had a mule deer come back positive on their CWD test, and did you eat it? Also, how long did it take to get results back. I’d hate to have a deer all processes only to have to throw it out. Thanks very much for your help.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:18 PM

2019’s buck from 118 came back positive. It was dropped off Nov 12th and I got the results around the 15th of March. It may have taken longer since it was dropped off in Fort McMurray. We did not eat it.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:52 PM
Banned

Default Not a mule deer.

Not a mule deer but two years ago I did eat a whitetail deer that had CWD.it took over a month to get the results back it wasn't a big deer.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:06 PM

i got 2 CWD positive mule deer last year. one outside of the Wainwright training area, looked in decent condition, one on the base hunt that was not going to make it through the next cold spell it was in such poor condition, not an ounce of fat on it, both does. I ate a small amount of the first deer before getting the results and none of the 2nd deer.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:28 PM

Default yup

myself & buddies have had about 4 test positive out east. One guy ate his but I didn't...F&W took the carcass and incinerated it. Butcher held off processing till I got my results back.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:07 AM

I had a mulie doe from a north eastern zone test positive last year. That was my first confirmed case and I did not eat it.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
not an ounce of fat on it
I keep hearing this from people that had deer with cwd.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:15 AM

Had a smaller mule doe come back positive, vermilion area.

Trashed it. Not worth the risk with a young family.

Thought for sure that taking a younger doe would ensure a negative. Either it wasnt as young as I thought or it hits them early
Old 06-04-2020, 07:35 AM

Yes 3 times all mule deer tossed them all. I have submitted a head early September and had it take till Feb for results. In my experince the longer the results take the higher the likelihood it’s positive.

LC
Old 06-04-2020, 09:08 AM

Wife shot one a couple years back. Zero fat on him when we skinned it. Tested positive, and BC CO service took it for us for disposal.

Really makes hunting mulies a tough game of wanting to get out there and chase them but not wanting to put all that time and effort into a higher likelihood of a CWD buck. Left a bad taste in my mouth about the experience for sure.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Wife shot one a couple years back. Zero fat on him when we skinned it. Tested positive, and BC CO service took it for us for disposal.

Really makes hunting mulies a tough game of wanting to get out there and chase them but not wanting to put all that time and effort into a higher likelihood of a CWD buck. Left a bad taste in my mouth about the experience for sure.
Yup the no fat thing is a give away, but if it’s a later season buck that’s hard to determine because of rut activity.

LC
Old 06-04-2020, 09:12 AM

Have killed two Mulie bucks that have come back positive. Didn't expect either as both deer were healthy, big bodied and lots of fat.

Didn't eat either
Old 06-04-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yup the no fat thing is a give away, but if it’s a later season buck that’s hard to determine because of rut activity.

LC
No doubt. I've shot some late season bucks with little fat as well. I remember thinking when we skinned this one that it was really void of fat (and was only 2nd weekend in Nov) but turned out to be positive. Frustrating for sure, especially with numbers only going up.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
No doubt. I've shot some late season bucks with little fat as well. I remember thinking when we skinned this one that it was really void of fat (and was only 2nd weekend in Nov) but turned out to be positive. Frustrating for sure, especially with numbers only going up.
For sure, if you have seen it you kind of get those spidey senses something isn’t quite right. The deer act normal in my experience but once the hide comes off they are just “different”.

Nearly a 10%+ rate now, they have removed mandatory testing from many hot zones... I think that sends the wrong message though, I’ll continue to get my deer tested regardless of zone as long as it’s free.

LC
Old 06-04-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:

I’m primarily a meat hunter. Since where I like to draw for Muley’s is a 11 hour drive away and I can only get a draw every 3-4 years I hold out for a decent one but that is pretty much the only time I pass on a legal mature animal. With the number of positives that I’m hearing coming out of the south eastern zones I don’t know if I’ll go to the time and expense of hunting there when there are places closer that have better odds of getting an animal that is negative. Getting a big buck is one thing but I still want to have some Meat in the freezer. I also don’t like it taking up space for almost 4 months just to throw it out in the end.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:18 PM

Had one come back positive after eating a good part of it. Ate all of it except the liver. Only negative result that I have noticed is an increase in grey hair and an increased stomach protrusion.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:29 PM

I've only had two deer test positive. Still frustrating but I have a deep freeze I only use for untested deer. I just quarter the deer then they go in that freezer until results come back. I heard of one fellow who's group butchered 5 deer mostly into sausage. Mixed everything then one came back positive. That would be a heart breaker.

I wish we could get a replacement tag the next season or get priority points back.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

I’m primarily a meat hunter. Since where I like to draw for Muley’s is a 11 hour drive away and I can only get a draw every 3-4 years I hold out for a decent one but that is pretty much the only time I pass on a legal mature animal. With the number of positives that I’m hearing coming out of the south eastern zones I don’t know if I’ll go to the time and expense of hunting there when there are places closer that have better odds of getting an animal that is negative. Getting a big buck is one thing but I still want to have some Meat in the freezer. I also don’t like it taking up space for almost 4 months just to throw it out in the end.
Yep, coming from BC and being hosted by a buddy makes it really tough to spend the time, energy, gas, hotel, etc and chase a good looking mulie, only to find out you're trashing the meat. I enjoy the hunt, the experience, and chasing a big buck, but I hate the feeling of putting all that into a hunt with the higher likelihood of a positive result.

Not looking good in the future either....
Old 06-04-2020, 06:05 PM

apart from my 2 in the previous season, i had a friend get a positive yearling whitetail buck and positive mulie doe, same WMU and general area as where i was. the one i got with no fat on it was literally zero fat and emaciated even though it was feeding when i shot it. this was the first time for me to get a positive deer and the last time i hunt that zone.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I've only had two deer test positive. Still frustrating but I have a deep freeze I only use for untested deer. I just quarter the deer then they go in that freezer until results come back. I heard of one fellow who's group butchered 5 deer mostly into sausage. Mixed everything then one came back positive. That would be a heart breaker.

I wish we could get a replacement tag the next season or get priority points back.
The reason why they no longer offer replacement tags is that it was unfair.

So if you pulled a draw and shot a mule deer, the replacement tag came from next years draw allocation. So you would take a draw tag from someone who was in waiting.... you get to hunt 2 years back to back and someone else has to wait another year.

Initially this had little effect because the positives were not common, now they are common and everyone knows if they are hunting a hot zone or not. So if you choose to hunt a hot zone, you take your chances on a positive. So I understand why they stopped the practice, it was increasing wait times.

LC
Old 06-04-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
The reason why they no longer offer replacement tags is that it was unfair.

So if you pulled a draw and shot a mule deer, the replacement tag came from next years draw allocation. So you would take a draw tag from someone who was in waiting.... you get to hunt 2 years back to back and someone else has to wait another year.

Initially this had little effect because the positives were not common, now they are common and everyone knows if they are hunting a hot zone or not. So if you choose to hunt a hot zone, you take your chances on a positive. So I understand why they stopped the practice, it was increasing wait times.

LC
As much as I understand what you’re saying and what there trying to do it still really doesn’t make any sense to me at all. They want to try and get on top of the cwd or so they say,iif that truly was the case then everyone should be reissued new tags and there should be no tags taken away from the next years draw. Simply keep adding tags as per needed for each wmu. The way there doing things is going to eliminate hunters going to the hot zone and cwd spreading further and further which is basically gonna happen anyways. I don’t have answers but it’s just something that enters my mind every time this subject comes up. Frustrating for everyone,almost like this will be the new norm hunting deer going forward.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
As much as I understand what you’re saying and what there trying to do it still really doesn’t make any sense to me at all. They want to try and get on top of the cwd or so they say,iif that truly was the case then everyone should be reissued new tags and there should be no tags taken away from the next years draw. Simply keep adding tags as per needed for each wmu. The way there doing things is going to eliminate hunters going to the hot zone and cwd spreading further and further which is basically gonna happen anyways. I don’t have answers but it’s just something that enters my mind every time this subject comes up. Frustrating for everyone,almost like this will be the new norm hunting deer going forward.
It’s because they still have management goals.. if they open it wide for slaughter imagine the complaints from hunters... if you shot 4 positive in a row... you would shoot 40+ years worth of draws before another guy gets a chance. It makes perfect sense why they no longer do it. They can’t add infinite tags to the draw, management goes out the window and quality/quantity decreases. Have no fear... mule deer tags will be handed out like candy this year I have heard, putnin if you want a tag. The ship of irradiation sailed along time ago, it’s only a ship of containment now.

LC
Old 06-04-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
It’s because they still have management goals.. if they open it wide for slaughter imagine the complaints from hunters... if you shot 4 positive in a row... you would shoot 40+ years worth of draws before another guy gets a chance. It makes perfect sense why they no longer do it. They can’t add infinite tags to the draw, management goes out the window and quality/quantity decreases. Have no fear... mule deer tags will be handed out like candy this year I have heard, putnin if you want a tag. The ship of irradiation sailed along time ago, it’s only a ship of containment now.

LC
I thought the ship of irradiation runs on plutonium, not sails...? Hmmmm...
Old 06-04-2020, 10:27 PM
Banned

One of mine last year was a positive
Perfect healthy looking mule deer buck
Buddy got a big mature buck in the same area and it was positive too
Again it appeared very healthy
Old 06-05-2020, 07:25 AM

Default CWD mulies

Hi Marty. Which zone did those deer come from, if you don’t mind telling. Thanks, have a great weekend.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:16 AM

I've had 2 come back positive in the last couple years. And I have definitely noticed a decline in deer numbers and quality in the zones I hunt.

I spoke to someone at the call center back in 2017, and the lady put it into perspective for me. Even though it sucks to have a deer come back positive, you are removing a sick animal from the population and helping reduce the spread.

But, those deer were taken on general tags so it's not too bad. I'm not burning a pile of priority on an animal that I might not be able to eat. In some zones you the percentage of positive muley bucks is quite high. And it is getting harder and harder to find quality bucks in areas with high cwd.

I personally I will be looking in other areas of the province for my draw tags moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post

My understanding is the same as Lefty-Canuck was explaining. When they no longer provided replacement tags it was due to some people could be reissued tags year after year. Not only because of hot zones or WMUS; I also had it explained to me that specific herds and small areas could be full of it. So if one hunter hunted the same chunk of land year after year he could do so expecting to continue to get positive CWD and get a new tag. People could abuse it basically for trophy hunting.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
hi marty. Which zone did those deer come from, if you don’t mind telling. Thanks, have a great weekend.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset View Post
My understanding is the same as Lefty-Canuck was explaining. When they no longer provided replacement tags it was due to some people could be reissued tags year after year. Not only because of hot zones or WMUS; I also had it explained to me that specific herds and small areas could be full of it. So if one hunter hunted the same chunk of land year after year he could do so expecting to continue to get positive CWD and get a new tag. People could abuse it basically for trophy hunting.
Both sides make sense but in my eyes if someone was hunting the same area and kept getting positives, that might not be a bad thing. If I get many more I am going to start looking for new areas. I like to eat meat.

Of coarse I'm arguing from the side of a guy who packed a deer out on my back just to find out it was pos. Frustrating way to burn priority points. I'd be singing a different tune if I was waiting for a draw and all the tags were being given to the same guys every year.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:53 PM

Every year we take two deer from wmu 236 and 80% of the time we get one of them come back positive. We eat the meat, plenty of worse out there that will probably kill me before cwd does.