Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post
Where can I see what priority I am?

I applied for a bunch of things last year but was not drawn..am I right in thinking I should now be a priority 1?
Ya if that was your first time putting in they will all be at 1. Login and go to your account. click on priority
Old 05-26-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Just need to buy your wildlife certificate.

Or put it into your cart, check the individual draw to see the quotas, then don't pay....

Silly that this information isn't available without having to go through the checkout process....
Hmmm tried that and all I see are the dates and the zone but no quota.

OK i can see elk but antlered mule isn't showing a quota.

Last edited by Evan83; 05-26-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan83 View Post
Ya if that was your first time putting in they will all be at 1. Login and go to your account. click on priority
Got it! Thanks.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan83 View Post
Hmmm tried that and all I see are the dates and the zone but no quota.

OK i can see elk but antlered mule isn't showing a quota.
Same here, I can see the moose quota but nothing for mule deer. I dont want to put into that draw if they wont be issuing tags for the zone. I could better use the priority in another zone.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-26-2020, 12:28 PM

If the zone has a draw there will be tags, no one actually expected for these updates to go smoothly with no issues or missed information did they
Old 05-26-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
If the zone has a draw there will be tags, no one actually expected for these updates to go smoothly with no issues or missed information did they
Not necessarily, I believe it was 339 a few years ago were they accepted draw entries for moose but no tags were issued for that year. My entire group but me put in for that draw and they were beyond mad about it.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-26-2020, 01:26 PM

Ouch oh that's brutal haha
Old 05-26-2020, 07:31 PM

Have not looked into it but was wondering...

When you draw and get awarded,

What happens to tag if you do not purchase it?
Does the tag get used up? Do you get charge the price of the tag?

The whole ANTI thing got me thinking.

Personally, I only draw when I know 100% I can use it.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
what are you talking about? There are no WMU restrictions for non residents for moose draws.
There is restrictions for non residents in certain WMU’s. Try to draw one in a 200 zone. It will not happen. Pretty sure it’s the 300, 400 and 500 zones.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
Have not looked into it but was wondering...

When you draw and get awarded,

What happens to tag if you do not purchase it?
Does the tag get used up? Do you get charge the price of the tag?

The whole ANTI thing got me thinking.

Personally, I only draw when I know 100% I can use it.
If you don't purchase it, the tag is not issued to anyone. This is why anyone that draws , should be charged immediately.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you don't purchase it, the tag is not issued to anyone. This is why anyone that draws , should be charged immediately.
So basically, anyone can draw and clogged up the tags so there are less for people actually hunting?
Old 05-27-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
So basically, anyone can draw and clogged up the tags so there are less for people actually hunting?
Yes.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:31 PM

Unrelated to sow of what’s been discussed already kinda surprised they still have non resident alien applications with the border being closed
Old 05-28-2020, 07:57 AM

I cant see the mule deer quota either.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Unrelated to sow of what’s been discussed already kinda surprised they still have non resident alien applications with the border being closed
Not sure where you are seeing that non-resident aliens are able to enter the draws, unless I have missed something? I was looking as I have a cousin from the US that I was hoping could enter the moose draw and come up to join me one year, but looks like that will be a no-go as they cannot enter the draws. Here is what I found in the 2020 hunting draw booklet:

Draws Available for Non-residents (Canadian)
The following table lists the draws available for Non-residents (Canadian), maximum number of hunters per application, the restrictions
on applying for these draws, and the number of applications that a Non-resident (Canadian) may submit. For a definition of
“Non-resident” (Canadian) refer to page 41.
A Non-resident (Canadian) must apply with a resident (maximum of 1 non-resident per resident), except for the Non-resident
Trophy Sheep draw. If successful in obtaining one of these special licences, the Non-resident must be accompanied by a licenced
Hunter Host while hunting. A Hunter Host may not charge or accept remuneration for services provided either directly or indirectly.
Please refer to the Outfitting and Guiding Requirements on page 45. NOTE: Non-resident Aliens are not eligible for any draws.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Yes. This was the point of making everyone buy their wildlife certificate, at least they will get more money from the ANTI's and everyone else that continues to clog the system. That is what people aren't understanding. Re-evaluate this thread when the draw results are out and it shows less people put in because apparently they cant afford their wildlife certificate.....
Old 05-28-2020, 09:30 AM

I just pulled this as an example, sorry pics a little small. 780 applicants over the past 3 years have had a zero priority for this sheep draw but have still applied (2019=250, 2018=280, 2017=250)
Are these people clogging the system and making it a priority 15? I couldn't imagine that someone with a zero priority would think they were going to get drawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sheep2.jpg (23.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Yes. This was the point of making everyone buy their wildlife certificate, at least they will get more money from the ANTI's and everyone else that continues to clog the system. That is what people aren't understanding. Re-evaluate this thread when the draw results are out and it shows less people put in because apparently they cant afford their wildlife certificate.....
And the antis that have never held a hunting license, will be forced to take a course to purchase their wildlife certificate, because their WIN doesn't authorize them to purchase a wildlife certificate.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I just pulled this as an example, sorry pics a little small. 780 applicants over the past 3 years have had a zero priority for this sheep draw but have still applied (2019=250, 2018=280, 2017=250)
Are these people clogging the system and making it a priority 15? I couldn't imagine that someone with a zero priority would think they were going to get drawn
Whats wrong with having a long-term goal of hunting sheep?? I mean, by the age of 350-370 you should really have a good idea of how that zone is doing..... haha.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Whats wrong with having a long-term goal of hunting sheep?? I mean, by the age of 350-370 you should really have a good idea of how that zone is doing..... haha.
Those are the anti-hunters.... a committed bunch.
Money and time won't stop them.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-28-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselBeard View Post
I have many relatives in other jurisdictions that are strictly lottery. Not very favourable. One relative has applied in their lottery draw for over 40 years and has never been drawn and he has met and come across people who have gotten drawn 2 or 3 times in his jurisdiction over that period. Lottery - NO THANK YOU. At least with a priority system, you know your time will come -- lottery your time may never come in a hundred years, and another guy may get drawn every single year of his life -- hardly fair or equitable (this may be a far stretch, but the possibility exists).

I think the priority system is working fine as is, but could use some refinement on wasted license purchasing. I would propose, if you apply and get drawn, you must purchase that license/tag to avoid the wasting of tags (however for the antis, that cost may be a drop in the bucket or the cost of doing business and will waste anyway, but at least they are back at zero and adding some $ to the coffers). If you choose not to purchase a drawn license, then you cannot apply next year (or any future year) until that purchase(s) has been made in full (of course the purchased license(s) may not be valid due to expiry) similar to the harvest survey reports being mandatory which also has a penalty incurred.

If wasted or not, that drawn priority is gone for them and they start back at zero again.

If a hunter want to continue with 999/priority only, and eventually applies his P12 in an area that is only requiring P8, then I say that's fine and he has over-waited the requirement, but that is his prerogative and for him to realize his patience in building that priority level.

I am curious though how many anti do actually apply. Perhaps with the WC and the harvest reports being mandatory it may shed some light on this, but we'll never truly know because each year has its unique circumstances for everyone (especially this crazy year ---------------------- who knows?).

Bottom line is there will always be some who will not be pleased.
Agree pretty much 100% with this. Only thing is the harvest reports. Not hard for an anti who drew a tag to lie on it and say they hunted…
Old 05-28-2020, 03:58 PM
Banned

999'd my draws (gonna call it 999 forever even though it's not 999 anymore)

Just not gonna have the time to focus on a draw which the way the economy is I gotta work as much as I can. Next year!
Old 06-01-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post

I just meant why would you actually apply for it at priority 0. why not just select "priority only" but i assumed that's the people clogging the system doing it
Old 06-01-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:

I just meant why would you actually apply for it at priority 0. why not just select "priority only" but i assumed that's the people clogging the system doing it
It makes no difference that people are applying with a P0. There are a certain number of tags available. Let's say there is 20. The applicants with the highest priority will draw those until 0 tags remain for that WMU. In some zones, that might be P15, some zones not enough people apply, causing the "undersubscribed" tags to be available.

The only reason why a P0 would apply for the tag in, say a P10 zone is they 1. don't understand how the draw works or 2. They are hoping for that 1 in a billion chance that very few people apply for the tag, thus creating a "chance" they might get drawn. I would say usually the former, but meh, it makes no difference.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:00 PM

There's a wide variety of reasons for being drawn, and then not purchasing the tag. Perhaps an unforeseen failure of health, accident, unanticipated family or employment responsibilities might come up. Maybe another draw that you didn't expect to get, conflicts with dates, or your hunting partner that helped you drag that bull moose 2 kms back to the truck 2 years ago, just got drawn for HIS moose, and you have to reciprocate, and skip your own draw.

I think purchasing the Wildlife Certificate up front, and paying the Draw fees is enough of a deterrent to eco-zealots highjacking the draw system, or having immediate and extended family put in for draws to benefit one hunter.

When setting the draw quotas, managers generally know what to expect in the way of 'no-shows', and adjust the numbers to compensate. The same as hotels and airlines 'overbook'. If their target is for, say 100 animals to be taken from a WMU, they set a quota for a zone at say 150 tags. After no-shows that don't purchase the tag they were drawn for (including animal-rights slacktivists), hunters that bought the tag but didn't go hunting, and hunters that went hunting but were unsuccessful, they estimate that about 100 animals will be taken.

If setting a quota of 150 tags resulted in 150 animals being taken, they'd quickly reduce the quota in subsequent seasons.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
When setting the draw quotas, managers generally know what to expect in the way of 'no-shows', and adjust the numbers to compensate. The same as hotels and airlines 'overbook'. If their target is for, say 100 animals to be taken from a WMU, they set a quota for a zone at say 150 tags. After no-shows that don't purchase the tag they were drawn for (including animal-rights slacktivists), hunters that bought the tag but didn't go hunting, and hunters that went hunting but were unsuccessful, they estimate that about 100 animals will be taken.

If setting a quota of 150 tags resulted in 150 animals being taken, they'd quickly reduce the quota in subsequent seasons.
This
Old 06-02-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:

I put in for my draws today at home hardware. I got the girl to put in the draw zones even though I knew I didn't have the draw priority.
This was partly because we didn't realize they don't call it 999 anymore.
Basically I put in the zones hoping I will get drawed because I don't study up on how long it should take me to get a draw. I tried to research this year but I didn't get to far.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:22 PM

Default Draw summaries?

Does anyone know where to find more complete draw summaries??? There’s a bunch of WMUs missing from the draws posted. Or am I missing reading something?
Old 06-03-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roykd14 View Post
Does anyone know where to find more complete draw summaries??? There’s a bunch of WMUs missing from the draws posted. Or am I missing reading something?
Do you realize that when there are split seasons, they don't use the wmu number as the draw choice?
Old 06-04-2020, 07:41 AM

They sure closed down alot of areas that where archery general bull moose and put it on draw this year