Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-20-2020, 09:18 AM

This will be the first year I will be entering for a actual draw tag. Until now I primarily hunt 212 so the opportunity is pretty good. Going for 310 bull moose and am excited of the possibility of pulling my first special license in 8 yrs.

I think the WC requirement is a great first step in moving to a more robust draw system.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:35 AM

i am all for it
Old 05-20-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
The difference is when your wife has the avocado you now jump to the front of the line ahead of everyone else at that time,,,,

Your analogy is more like the hubby immediately going to the counter to get a spot in line and staying there until wifey is done shopping when she can jump right in. Very convenient for the two of you but hardly fair to the shoppers who did all their shopping first before getting in que.

So what happens to wait times when all those high priorities decide to cash them in?
Neither of these analogies are a true comparison.

999 definitely speeds things up. If you forced a guy to draw, two things might/will happen.
1. The tag has a good potential of not even being HUNTED on- wasting the tag. I’m guessing this happens already, which is a tragedy and a disaster.
2. The wait times would increase.

Simple math says that if a P12 uses his priority in a P6 zone, 6 other guys got the opportunity before he did. And keep in mind: not everyone with high priority necessarily uses it. People die, move away, get too old, quit hunting- eliminating those coveted points entirely.

In a forced draw system, you will have wasted tags. Guaranteed.

Best fix: pay up front for the actual draw tags. Get refunded when not awarded.
(And fix residency lol that’s the big one- can of worms though)

How many stinking threads pop up in this site in November from guys asking where to kill their high priority moose in a certain zone? The lack of homework is astounding and I’m guessing had they paid for that tag and actually put some thought and $$$ into it, they would not have wasted the tag.

^^^ this one WE can control. Don’t draw a tag you aren’t fully prepared to hunt. That is a disaster and completely unfair of anyone to the rest of us l!
Old 05-20-2020, 12:17 PM

What's wrong with holding 2 general tags and draw tag per year. This would make one decide what draw tag they want to hold on any given year. And make it so you can only apply for 3 draws per year, that way you can gain priority on 2 other tags. It would put a little thought into one's hunting. I don't think one has to have more then 3 tags per year.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:50 PM

just noticed the 2020 draw booklet is posted
Old 05-20-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
This won't stop the anti hunter at all!

sorry stop was the wrong word. Deter is the word I should have used. When putting in for a draw was only a couple bucks it was easy for them to overload it and increase our wait times. If the antis put in for draws now and have to buy WIN cards and wildlife certificates then they are essentially giving us hunters free money for conservation the way I see it
Old 05-20-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
And as a non resident you can only draw a moose tag in certain wmu zones. When I was living out of province I was unable to hunt moose on my family's property because of this. It's not a huge deal, but it is something to check out in the regs if you are planning a moose hunt

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
what are you talking about? There are no WMU restrictions for non residents for moose draws.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
The difference is when your wife has the avocado you now jump to the front of the line ahead of everyone else at that time,,,,

Your analogy is more like the hubby immediately going to the counter to get a spot in line and staying there until wifey is done shopping when she can jump right in. Very convenient for the two of you but hardly fair to the shoppers who did all their shopping first before getting in que.

So what happens to wait times when all those high priorities decide to cash them in?
you truly did not understand his analogy or your own. Clearly you also do not understand how the 999 does absolutely nothing to increase draw wait times. the only increase in wait times is for the guy actually using the 999. Me hitting 999 on a moose draw does not effect when you get your tag.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
what are you talking about? There are no WMU restrictions for non residents for moose draws.
A Non-Resident (Canadian) is limited on which areas they can apply for Antlered Moose. Nothing in the 100 zones, or 400 zones south of the bow essentially.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
you truly did not understand his analogy or your own. Clearly you also do not understand how the 999 does absolutely nothing to increase draw wait times. the only increase in wait times is for the guy actually using the 999. Me hitting 999 on a moose draw does not effect when you get your tag.
Your point is true so long as the high priority hoarders stay out of the draw. That is not what concerns me. What is going to happen when all those priority points come home to roost and actually start entering the draws?

What was a 5 or a 6 pull can easily become a 8 or 9 pull at that time.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
You will notice there are different sections in the draws for residents and non-residents.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Your point is true so long as the high priority hoarders stay out of the draw. That is not what concerns me. What is going to happen when all those priority points come home to roost and actually start entering the draws?

That scenario will never happen all at once. It’s already happening at a slow pace. Or like I said earlier, they move away, quit hunting, die etc... and NEVER cash in on those points.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Exactly. It only increases the wait time for the poor sucker hitting the “999”. Everyone else should thank him.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Good analogy LC. I have never really understood how some people think that the 999/build priority option increases wait times in draws. I am sitting at an 11 priority in Mule Deer... probably could have been drawn 2-3 times in a lot of areas in Alberta in the last 11 years, but here I am "increasing" wait times by letting a couple other hunters go ahead of me in the draw...

DR
The way I see the increase in draw times is when you look at the synopsis on the longer wait draws or more desirable tags is the amount of high priority people putting in for the draws after 11 years for example. If there is only 5 tags available for a certain draw, and if 2-3 people that have been squirrelling away priority points decide to draw, then wait times severely increase in some draws that most people wishing to draw a tag will never draw in their lifetime. I don’t really have an answer but what I do know is this 3-4 dollars for a priority point is a real useless thing in my mind. I feel that if you were paying 50 dollars for a priori only point, you might have felt the need to draw a couple of more tags previously. As well, there is a definite revenue source for those only wishing to increase priority. I’m with all the other guys on here wanting the tag purchased at time if application with refunds credited in unsuccessful draws. I also wish to see a portion of tags given at random.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Then they deserve to do so as they have been paying money to enter those draws just like the rest of us.... the "high priority hoarders" may have 12 points and enter a zone and get their tag, but if that zone you hunt is only a priority 4/5 to draw, you have already had that tag twice meanwhile this is that guys first time.... wouldn't call that hoarding, id call the guy complaining about it the hoarder as he wants everything for himself
Old 05-21-2020, 10:34 AM

You can sure tell the people that don't have points built up by the posts they make. It's always pay more or pay up front or no 999.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
You can sure tell the people that don't have points built up by the posts they make. It's always pay more or pay up front or no 999.
What category do I fall in? I like 999 and advocate pay up front.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:48 AM

Default Draws

What is wrong with a guy with 12 priority points finally applying and pulling his tag? He spent 12 years in line paying his dues. He has done his planning, booked his holidays and he is ready. Its his turn but the guy with priority 4 is all butthurt cause he thinks he should have gotten that tag?
I may build my priority points for several species to wait for my kids to be old enough to partner with me and they can shoot it. Somehow this is taking away from someone else?
My dad has some health issues and wants me to 999 his draws this year instead of forcing him to draw one and not being able to use it. This is wrong doing?
My wife was pregnant and the doctor told her absolutely not to shoot a rifle. Now she has to waste her tag?
I highly doubt anti hunters are flooding the system with draw applications. Most people do not fully understand how our draws system works but are always screaming foul. We have an excellent draw system in place. The only ones crying about it are the ones at the back of the line.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
What is wrong with a guy with 12 priority points finally applying and pulling his tag? He spent 12 years in line paying his dues. He has done his planning, booked his holidays and he is ready. Its his turn but the guy with priority 4 is all butthurt cause he thinks he should have gotten that tag?
I may build my priority points for several species to wait for my kids to be old enough to partner with me and they can shoot it. Somehow this is taking away from someone else?
My dad has some health issues and wants me to 999 his draws this year instead of forcing him to draw one and not being able to use it. This is wrong doing?
My wife was pregnant and the doctor told her absolutely not to shoot a rifle. Now she has to waste her tag?
I highly doubt anti hunters are flooding the system with draw applications. Most people do not fully understand how our draws system works but are always screaming foul. We have an excellent draw system in place. The only ones crying about it are the ones at the back of the line.
bingo
Old 05-21-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Actually our draw system needs to be changed
When our draws cost $3 to apply for and you can have 4 applicants per entry
You can add a lot of people to the pool who wouldn’t normally be there
If the $20 bucks is a deal breaker your probably not that interested in getting drawn
Agreed!
Old 05-22-2020, 10:43 AM

Next year many changes coming to draws including cost going way up similar to US states and other provinces!
Old 05-22-2020, 10:55 AM

Maybe in consolidating draw codes they are referring to things such as:

1) Removing multiple trophy sheep draws and going to a single sheep code with zones to choose (All priority gets transfer to Trophy Sheep), this would simplify things.

2) Either sex elk draws fade out maybe this is why the Cyprus one is making changes, their has been talk about 212 elk priority moving to antler less priority. Maybe they plan to eliminate 3-4 elk draw codes by having antlered/antlerless priority now cover zones province wide, including 300/Cyprus.

Just a couple of ways that they could quickly remove almost 10 draw codes to simplify things.

As for pricing according to other jurisdiction that will be very interesting
Old 05-22-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
The way I see the increase in draw times is when you look at the synopsis on the longer wait draws or more desirable tags is the amount of high priority people putting in for the draws after 11 years for example. If there is only 5 tags available for a certain draw, and if 2-3 people that have been squirrelling away priority points decide to draw, then wait times severely increase in some draws that most people wishing to draw a tag will never draw in their lifetime. I don’t really have an answer but what I do know is this 3-4 dollars for a priority point is a real useless thing in my mind. I feel that if you were paying 50 dollars for a priori only point, you might have felt the need to draw a couple of more tags previously. As well, there is a definite revenue source for those only wishing to increase priority. I’m with all the other guys on here wanting the tag purchased at time if application with refunds credited in unsuccessful draws. I also wish to see a portion of tags given at random.

I just don’t understand why you want people
To actually draw a tag earlier, instead of chastising us you should be thanking us for allowing you to draw earlier. Holding my priority to 11 in mule deer because it has not fit into my plans yet, has potentially allowed you to draw your tag one year earlier.

I don’t feel the need to kill 3-5 animals a year. I try and dedicate one draw tag per year most years. The hunting aspect for me in a lot of my draw tags comes down to planning with family and friends.

So personally I don’t agree with the thought process we should all be drawing as many tags as early as possible and shooting as many animals as possible. I like to plan, organize and dedicate a lot of my efforts to one draw per year (along with general tags) with the hope that I will be successful on that one draw tag. This is not hurting your ability to draw a tag in any year, it is helping you draw multiple tags earlier.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
You will notice there are different sections in the draws for residents and non-residents.

Well, a guy should learn something new every day. I have never noticed that to be honest.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
I just don’t understand why you want people
To actually draw a tag earlier, instead of chastising us you should be thanking us for allowing you to draw earlier. Holding my priority to 11 in mule deer because it has not fit into my plans yet, has potentially allowed you to draw your tag one year earlier.

I don’t feel the need to kill 3-5 animals a year. I try and dedicate one draw tag per year most years. The hunting aspect for me in a lot of my draw tags comes down to planning with family and friends.

So personally I don’t agree with the thought process we should all be drawing as many tags as early as possible and shooting as many animals as possible. I like to plan, organize and dedicate a lot of my efforts to one draw per year (along with general tags) with the hope that I will be successful on that one draw tag. This is not hurting your ability to draw a tag in any year, it is helping you draw multiple tags earlier.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well at least someone gets it!
Old 05-24-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Well, a guy should learn something new every day. I have never noticed that to be honest.
No worries, I didn't know about it either until I put in the draw as a non-resident a couple of years ago.

But, if people are wanting to hunter host their buddies it is something they should be aware of.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:08 AM

Some really stupid comments on this thread.

We aren’t living in the 1970 anymore. The price to apply for draws is ridiculously low. There are no barriers to entry and no risk to those who aren’t serious about actually hunting the draws they are awarded. The province has changed, the population has changed, the landscape has changed, technology has changed but the draw system has stayed basically the same....

Alberta needs to increase the price of draws to a level that makes people get serious about their applications. $50-$100 per draw code should help reduce a lot of the bottle necks. The longer we wait the worse it’s going to get.

Don’t tell me about “reduced opportunity” either......if you can afford to hunt and shoot you can afford a $50 draw application. The tag is the cheapest part of hunting.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Some really stupid comments on this thread.

We aren’t living in the 1970 anymore. The price to apply for draws is ridiculously low. There are no barriers to entry and no risk to those who aren’t serious about actually hunting the draws they are awarded. The province has changed, the population has changed, the landscape has changed, technology has changed but the draw system has stayed basically the same....

Alberta needs to increase the price of draws to a level that makes people get serious about their applications. $50-$100 per draw code should help reduce a lot of the bottle necks. The longer we wait the worse it’s going to get.

Don’t tell me about “reduced opportunity” either......if you can afford to hunt and shoot you can afford a $50 draw application. The tag is the cheapest part of hunting.
Yes sir.

I would like to see draw applications coincide with with the price of a tank of gas rather then a few bucks.

Tag prices for priority species. Antlered elk, moose, antelope, mule and sheep should be in the $250 dollar range. Generate some dollars for habitat and management.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
There is a finite number of tags, so if someone chooses to build priority for 11 years, instead of drawing a tag ever four or five years, they actually draw fewer tags , which shortens the wait time for other people. As for being charged for every tag when drawn, that I would agree with.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:55 PM

Having to buy the wildlife certificate is purely to give them a bump in revenue and I'm all good with that.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk