Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 08:07 AM

Question Shotgun search

For a few years I’ve been considering getting into goose hunting. I now have some time and an opportunity to get into it. I would appreciate any suggestions as to a decent entry level goose gun. I’ve had a few 870s in the past but don’t currently own anything that takes a 3” shell or steel shot. I would still like to use it for upland and possibly deer down the road. What should I be looking towards? Any thoughts?
Thanks guys and gals
Old 05-31-2020, 08:49 AM

I think you are asking too much for one shotgun to fill the bill.
An Upland gun should be light, for carrying more than shooting.
A serious waterfowl gun should be heavier, to reduce recoil. Heavy is an asset in the goose blind.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:55 AM

Default Shotgun Search

An 870 or Mossberg 500 should do everything you need within reason. The different uses require a compromise if you want to do it all with one shotgun and could be accommodated with different barrels and chokes for each purpose
Old 05-31-2020, 09:07 AM

I much prefer a gas operated semi auto for goose hunting, much softer recoil with heavy waterfowl loads. Find a shotgun that fits you. The SX-4 and Weatherby are two guns to look at, that are fairly affordable.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:04 PM

I’m a very big fan of Beretta & Benelli... excellent quality and with good care no hassle!
I find European guns fit me better than North American guns. This might be different depending on your build.
If you have a chance try a few at a gun club or from your friends to get an idea about what fits you better.
I’m sure Brownings are quality guns as well but they don’t fit me out of the box.

In an ideal world I’d tell you get the stock fitted to you but I know this isn’t easy or cheap to do in AB.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:24 PM

Im surprised anyone is looking at buying a shotgun with all Laws coming in to play.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:46 PM

870 still best. Sure, tough to lug in grouse woods but three pounds lighter in a sxs isn't going to make that much difference. You can use as heavy or light loads as needed. Nothing more versatile than the 870. You can buy more later but that 870 will always be handy.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemoss View Post
I’m a very big fan of Beretta & Benelli... excellent quality and with good care no hassle!
I find European guns fit me better than North American guns. This might be different depending on your build.
If you have a chance try a few at a gun club or from your friends to get an idea about what fits you better.
I’m sure Brownings are quality guns as well but they don’t fit me out of the box.

In an ideal world I’d tell you get the stock fitted to you but I know this isn’t easy or cheap to do in AB.

This. I favored Benellis until my shoulder was torn off a few years ago. I now find the Beretta A 400 to be the softest on my body. Not knowing your budget, you may want to check one out.
I will add that personally I never use any more than 3" shells. I have hunted with great success geese and waterfowl in Sask for many years and never felt the need for 3 1/2" rounds. Others here may think differently.

Osky
Old 06-01-2020, 06:35 AM

Default Buy used.

I would go into different stores and try the guns on. If you liked your old 870 start there. Look at the semis. Decide which one you want to buy and then spend some time in the buy and sell looking for the gun you want. You can find an SX-3 in the buy and sell used for the price of a new 870. At least close to the new price.

Good luck. 3 1/2 inch chamber is nice at times, pass shooting big birds. Even then a 3 inch shell will still preform effectively with steel shot.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:10 AM

Check out the 11/87 in the buy sell. A fair price and they work well.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:43 AM

Semi auto in any of the following brands that fits you. That's the key.

Beretta
Benelli
Browning
Remington (new ones have lifetime warranty)

I'd take a pass on the rest.

If you buy some el cheapo no name semi then you deserve what you've got coming
Old 06-04-2020, 11:49 AM

I picked up the Weatherby SA as a waterfowl gun and it’s been great. Have to remember to put the correct sleeve in for what your doing depending on loads but it’s been a great gun and has done plenty of 2-300 round clay days and still keeps firing. Definitely cheaper in both ways then the others but for me it has been great.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Semi auto in any of the following brands that fits you. That's the key.

Beretta
Benelli
Browning
Remington (new ones have lifetime warranty)

I'd take a pass on the rest.

If you buy some el cheapo no name semi then you deserve what you've got coming
I would second this except eliminate the Beretta, Browning and Remington.....lol
Old 06-04-2020, 01:50 PM

I hunt upland and migratory and if I had it to do over again I would buy only 1 semi-auto for everything 26" or 28" barrel. As someone else said I do not know your budget and I know what I have used and what some people I have hunted with use. I owned a Stoeger M2500 for years a fired countless steel shot and slugs with never a misfire or miss-feed. I got rid of it and wish I hadn't. I currently own 2 Weatherby's, an Upland Deluxe and an SA08. These are "cheap" shotguns that have also functioned flawlessly in the 2 years that I have owned them for target and in the field in all types of conditions. The only real decision imo is gas or inertia which you can research and make a decision or find friends guns to try. If I had a little more money at the time I would have bought a Franchi - Baretta family, same inertia system as the Benelli, 2/3 of the price.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
I think you are asking too much for one shotgun to fill the bill.
An Upland gun should be light, for carrying more than shooting.
A serious waterfowl gun should be heavier, to reduce recoil. Heavy is an asset in the goose blind.
Damn my bennelli has been my upland gun for a couple years now . I may have to get a lighter shotty . Shorter would be nice in bush for grouse . You make a good point though ...
Old 06-04-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Im surprised anyone is looking at buying a shotgun with all Laws coming in to play.
This is the Hunting Forum, not the Fishing Forum.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:58 AM

Thumbs up

Two thumbs up for the Berettas, have had mine for 10+ years, and I like the reduced recoil.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:09 AM

An all around shot gun is a pump. I've heard semi need more attention when it comes for cleaning , grain dust etc that you find in the fields when goose hunting can make these guns jam up in the field .
The 870 used to have smooth actions back in the day .
You might not find that anymore on these newer shot guns.
But what do i know .
Go shopping find the one that shoulders best , and buy it .
Old 06-06-2020, 08:27 AM
Banned

The Ithaca featherlight is great shotgun and works for me. If you could find a good used one I don’t think you’d go wrong. I have a pump and a semi auto and much prefer the pump.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
An all around shot gun is a pump. I've heard semi need more attention when it comes for cleaning , grain dust etc that you find in the fields when goose hunting can make these guns jam up in the field .
But what do i know .
Yes semi autos require more cleaning, but I have never had one fail to function in the field. And this isn't what I have heard, it is from actual experience using semi autos in the field, in heavy rain, snow, and muddy fields. I have removed the trigger group after a hunt in heavy rain, and water ran out of the receiver, but the gun never failed to function.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
But what do i know .
Any shotgun requires cleaning and maintenance. As a matter of fact any gun or any “thing” requires maintenance and cleaning.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:23 AM

You may want to stay away from auto loader shotgun. The Turd and Blair will need some other guns to go after in the future and may target All auto,s like they did in Australia.