Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-13-2017, 08:43 AM

Default Black Bear Hunting

Hey Folks! I am new to black bear hunting and have a quick question about spring bears! Does bear activity reach a peak point in the spring, in which after sightings will steadily decrease until closing day (June 15th)? I have been out a couple of times already this year and have been fortunate enough to observe a few bears, but not the right bear. Say if it gets to June 1st should I be lowering my expectations as the chances of shooting a bear are diminishing? Or will bear activity be steady until closing day? I understand that every season is different, depending on weather and other factors, but if bear activity is usually high for a 2 week period, that information would really help! FYI I am out of Grande Prairie and have normally been walking cut lines and sesmic lines, so no baiting. Thanks for your input!
Old 05-13-2017, 09:07 AM

I'm not so sure it's their activity that peaks, but what can appear to be a peak is when the first green places are frequented by the bears. When things first start to green up you will see more bears in those places. Later, once it gets green all over the place then you will probably see fewer bears but I thinks it's more of a food thing than an activity thing.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:49 PM

I'm reviving this thread. I have been wondering the same thing.

I'm totally new to Bear hunting and took my son out a week ago and had a blast. Best thing we did all spring, it was so great to be out. I'm Hoping to get out tomorrow for my last day or 2 of spring and wasn't sure what to expect. I'll be in 328/330, Opinions or thoughts?
Old 06-01-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I'm reviving this thread. I have been wondering the same thing.

I'm totally new to Bear hunting and took my son out a week ago and had a blast. Best thing we did all spring, it was so great to be out. I'm Hoping to get out tomorrow for my last day or 2 of spring and wasn't sure what to expect. I'll be in 328/330, Opinions or thoughts?
My opinion it should be just as good and just like last week watch for rubbed hides

Good luck