Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2015, 12:11 PM

Default Cool picture of a bee swarm.

Was doing a little fishing by Stavely yesterday. On the way home we saw these two swarms beside an existing colony. I'm guessing s couple new queens were hatched and ready to move out? Not sur if that's how it works but they weren't happy about the truck being parked there and started dive bombing us.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:25 PM

Geez, I don't know anything about bees, but if they were that aggressive, I hope they weren't africanized bees?
How close was the truck....just the width of the ditch?

Very cool pics.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:27 PM

Literally just got the shivers! I broke many bones, have a few tattoos and needles never bothered me one bit but nothing scares me more than bee stings haha.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:52 PM

Very cool pics, thanks for sharing them! Awesome!!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-22-2015, 12:55 PM

From what I know about bees, the queen is in the middle there somewhere. Scouts are sent out looking for a new home and then they will be gone. If that queen came from one of the hives in the picture the bee keeper isn't going to be to happy about loosing them. Most swarms I've seen happen in late summer when the hive gets over crowded.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Geez, I don't know anything about bees, but if they were that aggressive, I hope they weren't africanized bees?

How close was the truck....just the width of the ditch?

Very cool pics.

We were parked in the middle of the road and just the ditch to the fence between us.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirt4u View Post
From what I know about bees, the queen is in the middle there somewhere. Scouts are sent out looking for a new home and then they will be gone. If that queen came from one of the hives in the picture the bee keeper isn't going to be to happy about loosing them. Most swarms I've seen happen in late summer when the hive gets over crowded.

There was a colony right there with 10-12 bee boxes just 50 yards away. It can be seen in the one picture.

Last edited by Cowtown guy; 05-22-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:51 PM

Free Bee! How the word arrived. Swarms are anybodys game. Now get a broom/brush, some smoke. Put them in 5 gallon pail. Buy yourself a beehive (off a beekeeper, or bee coop). Dump bees into hive. Cover up. Add a second box next week on top. Then super up in 2 weeks. There you are a beekeeper. Sell honey in fall.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:16 PM

Very cool pics. Thanks for sharing
Old 05-22-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badseed View Post
Literally just got the shivers! I broke many bones, have a few tattoos and needles never bothered me one bit but nothing scares me more than bee stings haha.
A bee's stinger is about 1/16" long, the other four inches is your imagination

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:37 PM

Yes cowtown guy, I can see the boxes. Each one of those has a queen in it. They could have just moved out or were looking to move in.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:01 PM

I would'nt harm anybody? Unless they take my Food. BuzzOff!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150522_123948_edit.jpg (70.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 05-23-2015, 06:04 AM
Banned

Good picx kudos for sharing
Old 05-24-2015, 11:33 AM

Must be the time of year. Our neighbor hood bee keeper got a call about a swarm in a industrial park close by so he gathered his gear and captured it . As he already has more hives in his yard than the city of North Van allows he put it in our front yard. They seemed to settle in quickly and all the flowers and berry bushes are getting pollinated thanks to them. Really looking forward to some fresh honey comb later in the year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wGtLf6T.jpg (64.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 05-24-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Your turn to open the gate.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:36 PM

Very cool pics, Cowtown. I've never seen a real live swarm like that. I've never been stung by a bee, but they don't scare me in the least. Wasps on the other hand scare the bejeezuz outta me, and I've been stung numerous times by them. Hate friggin wasps. Creep me out. Them and hornets. Done see any benefit from either of their existence.

Last edited by Clgy_Dave2.0; 05-24-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
Very cool pics, Cowtown. I've never seen a real live swarm like that. I've never been stung by a bee, but they don't scare me in the least. Wasps on the other hand scare the bejeezuz outta me, and I've been stung numerous times by them. Hate friggin wasps. Creep me out. Them and hornets. Done see any benefit from either of their existence.
Back home when the pink salmon started washing ashore the wasps and hornets didn't take long to start chewing them up. kept the flies down as they'd pack maggots away too.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 05-24-2015, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Very cool pics, thanks for sharing them! Awesome!!
+ 1 Thank's
Old 05-24-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
Back home when the pink salmon started washing ashore the wasps and hornets didn't take long to start chewing them up. kept the flies down as they'd pack maggots away too.
Huh!! Interesting. Didn't realize that. Still hate them. But they may stay at least.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Banned

Thanks for sharing this...
Nice pictures
Old 05-24-2015, 03:37 PM

Default Bees

Here are some I found
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bees 004.jpg (52.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg bees 003.jpg (45.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 05-24-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Your turn to open the gate.
That's a good one!
Old 05-24-2015, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree with you completely.Honey bees are no big deal as they will die if they sting as they rip their own guts out so they are not known as notorious stingers.Wasps and hornets are just plain nasty though as they can sting repeatedly and also inject venom.I was out at the Sibbald range a couple years back on a hot summer day and the range was just crazy with wasps(big black and white ones) and I had one land on the back of my calf and he stung me about 6 times.Next day my calf was bigger by half from it.

FTH
Old 05-24-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
I agree with you completely.Honey bees are no big deal as they will die if they sting as they rip their own guts out so they are not known as notorious stingers.Wasps and hornets are just plain nasty though as they can sting repeatedly and also inject venom.I was out at the Sibbald range a couple years back on a hot summer day and the range was just crazy with wasps(big black and white ones) and I had one land on the back of my calf and he stung me about 6 times.Next day my calf was bigger by half from it.

FTH
Black and white, larger...those would be hornets. Slightly more painful than wasps.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:50 PM

Another swarm landed in the neighbors cedar tree a couple hours ago. They called up the neighbors who new someone looking for another hive. So the branch was cut that the bee's were on and it was put into a hive in the back of his pickup. The whole thing went off without a hitch (or a sting) and he's now got another hive of bee's. It's starting to seem like every second house in the neighborhood will have a hive or two
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0859.JPG (109.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 05-25-2015, 12:07 PM

A few years ago my dad and I were standing out in the yard and I heard a very loud buzzing. I look around and saw a SWARM of bee's coming our way. I say to dad we better get the hell out of there and he says no, just stand still and wait and watch. (My grandfather used to have bee's when he first moved to Canada in the 20's so my dad grew up around bee's and says it is just a new queen taking off with her followers).
So I am standing there feeling pretty anxious, as the whole swarm went right around/through the both of us, not bothering us one bit. It was kind of freaky and the actual sound of the swarm is amazingly quite loud when you are right in the middle of it.
My story on bee's.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:46 PM

Default Hornets

Quote:
Black and white, larger...those would be hornets. Slightly more painful than wasps.
You are correct sir. Had one go up the back of my shirt while brushing with my dad when I was a kid. Damn near had to haul me in..... Yellew Jackets just hurt like hell, so do Yellow and Black ones but a little worse. The only place I've seen those were by GP. I got nailed twice in the arm before leaving a job, had to stay in Fox Creek, arm was swollen up bad and a killer headache. The ones up by GP were like hornets only yellow where the white is.

Last edited by Kodiak; 05-25-2015 at 02:51 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 05-25-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
your turn to open the gate.
lol !!
Old 05-25-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badseed View Post
Hey a fellow St.Paulian! Kinda funny you said that, because needles totally freak me out, bee stings would be far preferable to me! The wife on the other hand fears bee's more than almost anything else.