Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2017, 03:15 PM

Default Beer making gear

Would like to see what all you guys are using for home brewing gear. Mash tuns. Keezers etc. I'm 5 brews in. All grain.

My mash tun is the milkshake cart from the old Dairy Queen in Taber. I bottle in the 1.5 L Grolsch flip tops. American Pale Ale is my choice.

Looper

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2017, 03:52 PM

cool thread. been brewing for a while myself.

gotta crash cool for superior beer.... glycol system.

and bottling is a pain in the butt. if you need road pops buy a growler filler. kegging is way better.

man they want alot of cash for big stainless pots.... so local pub couple of empty kegs.. cut the top off and boil 10 gallons at a time!!

ill add more when i get all my pics on photobucket.

alot of fun we brew 20 gallons a week.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:58 PM

fermenting we like 65 f. so an old deepfreeze with a temp control does the trick nicely. 40gallons doing their thing with yeast.

simple keg system.... soon to be upgraded.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Banned

I did the 3 vessel system with all grain and boiled on my stove.Then I splurged on a Grainfather system.I wish it had been on the market when I got into brewing.It is so SWEET and so simple to use plus cleaning is a snap.

As for fermenting I gave up on glass carboys when I nearly dropped one.I got to thinking about the potential nasty mess and I opted to ferment in corny kegs.Run the cooled wort from the counter flow chiller directly into a sanitized keg and then pour in the yeast that has been spinning all day on the stir plate.Snap on the keg lid and shake the hell out of it then put on a gas line running to a bucket of star san for the blow off/fermentation.Once fermentation is done I cold crash the keg for a day and all the junk settles on the dished bottom.Hook up CO2 and force transfer to a serving keg and force carbonate.

Cleaning is super easy.Just boil a kettle of water and pour that onto a scoop of dishwasher detergent and put on the lid and give it a good shake and then let it sit upside down for 10 minutes.Give it a good shake again and pour out the gunk.Repeat and then repeat twice more to rinse with no detergent.Do another with star san and leave it in there until ready to ferment again.

FTH
Old 01-30-2017, 05:06 PM

Converted cooler, aluminum pot with a big propane burner, DIY copper cooler and plastic buckets. Will not post pictures in fear of being ridiculed
Old 01-30-2017, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
Converted cooler, aluminum pot with a big propane burner, DIY copper cooler and plastic buckets. Will not post pictures in fear of being ridiculed
Check out some videos on youtube for the Grainfather.Then start saving as you will want one

FTH
Old 01-31-2017, 02:16 PM

I don't have much for pictures but mine is BIAB all grain method. Mash tun is a large cooler with the brew bag. 10 gallon stainless kettle and most of my brewing is done in primary buckets. I rarely bother to rack into a carboy anymore.

PS. OP what are you brewing in that second picture? That looks like a lot of hops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post

No ridicule from me. I have some pretty getto looking "I built this after to many beers" equipment as well. It's not about what you use its about a tasty brew.

Last edited by Jeron Kahyar; 01-31-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
I don't have much for pictures but mine is BIAB all grain method. Mash tun is a large cooler with the brew bag. 10 gallon stainless kettle and most of my brewing is done in primary buckets. I rarely bother to rack into a carboy anymore.

PS. OP what are you brewing in that second picture? That looks like a lot of hops!

No ridicule from me. I have some pretty getto looking "I built this after to many beers" equipment as well. It's not about what you use its about a tasty brew.
Lol, I had fewer beers when I built mine . Same materials
Old 02-01-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post
I just noticed the Thermometer gun as well. Does it work well for monitoring your mash/water temp? I currently used a digital thermometer that I have to physically insert into the liquid.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:32 AM

Im not convinced the gun works well. Seeing some discrepancies. Using digital as back up. Looks like alot of hops as the aroma addition are whole leaf Cascade. Its 4 x 1/2 ounce additions.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2017, 10:38 AM

Great topic.......................... I like beeeeeeer.

Started in September with wort kits, festa brew, microbrew, and they were good. My first few were ok but I think I fermented at too high a temperature and got the off flavors.
Now doing partial grain BIAB from Alfreds, and Best Case. It is fun and as my kids say " now you are really making beer".

Started kegging a month ago and no looking back. Keezer will be completed by the weekend and hope to have a few on the taps for Superbowl Sunday.

Did invest a lot but have not bought commercial beer for over 2 months! My wife does reming me of what I spend on gear though!!!! Fun Buster!!

No pics sorry.
Rob
Old 02-03-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Great topic.......................... I like beeeeeeer.

Started in September with wort kits, festa brew, microbrew, and they were good. My first few were ok but I think I fermented at too high a temperature and got the off flavors.
Now doing partial grain BIAB from Alfreds, and Best Case. It is fun and as my kids say " now you are really making beer".

Started kegging a month ago and no looking back. Keezer will be completed by the weekend and hope to have a few on the taps for Superbowl Sunday.

Did invest a lot but have not bought commercial beer for over 2 months! My wife does reming me of what I spend on gear though!!!! Fun Buster!!

No pics sorry.
Rob
LOL!! I hear ya, everytuime I go to the brew store and spend more and more.... pennies a glass a they say, pennies a glass.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
LOL!! I hear ya, everytuime I go to the brew store and spend more and more.... pennies a glass a they say, pennies a glass.
The only time I go to any local brick and mortar store is if it is an emergency.For my hops/yeast and specialty items I buy through Everwood ave brewshop online.The owner is Dave and he runs the shop out of his house.He keeps a HUGE selection of both equipment and ingredients in stock and his prices are damn good.The flat rate shipping is what is really nice.That being said my orders are not cheap as I like to max out the value for shipping.I buy hops by the pound and fill up on specialty grains and always top up on the little things like whirlflock tablets and bitter orange peel.

For my base grains I dont mess about with small orders.I got hooked up with a local home brewer who did twice yearly runs down to Armstrong BC to pick up a load of sacks from Gambrinus Malting.Last order for me was 3 sacks of ESB and 1 sack each of Vienna/Munich/Pale Ale all for $180.Total malt bill was 330 pounds of malt.He no longer drives down but does organize group buys which adds $4 per sack of malt which works out to 1/3rd of what I would pay locally.

If you are interested I can send you his email via PM if you want to get in on the group buy.

FTH
Old 02-03-2017, 06:09 PM

For those that Keg how long does the beer stay good for once it's tapped?