Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-24-2011, 11:37 PM

Default Dumd question of the day...

Ok I was wondering about an actual list of restricted and or prohibited firearms in Canada. I am looking at buying a new 22 cal semi auto (Ruger SR 22 in particular or at least a Ruger 10/22 and sexify it up) and was discussing it with a friend at work. Doing my research online I came across the Mossberg tactical 22 and then came across the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 all cool rifles but my friend said that the Smith & Wesson is a restricted/prohib here in Canada. This got me on a interweb search of "restricted/prohibited" rifles in Canada on the RCMP web site. Am I missing something or does this "mythical list" not exsist? Does anyone know where I could find a list so as not to waste my time? Thanks in advance for all the polite and postive responses.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackdown View Post
Ok I was wondering about an actual list of restricted and or prohibited firearms in Canada. I am looking at buying a new 22 cal semi auto (Ruger SR 22 in particular or at least a Ruger 10/22 and sexify it up) and was discussing it with a friend at work. Doing my research online I came across the Mossberg tactical 22 and then came across the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 all cool rifles but my friend said that the Smith & Wesson is a restricted/prohib here in Canada. This got me on a interweb search of "restricted/prohibited" rifles in Canada on the RCMP web site. Am I missing something or does this "mythical list" not exsist? Does anyone know where I could find a list so as not to waste my time? Thanks in advance for all the polite and postive responses.
There is no list that I an aware of, just 'definitions'.

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 = restricted (not sure why, barrel length maybe?) and can only be shot at an approved range. not prohibited (BIG difference)

Ruger SR22, 10/22 and the Mossberg are non restricted.

Found this:

Definition of a Restricted Firearm
According to the Criminal Code, a restricted firearm is:

•A handgun that is not a prohibited firearm;
•A semi-automatic, centre-fire firearm with a barrel length less than 470 mm that is not a prohibited firearm;
•A firearm that can fire after being reduced, by folding, telescoping or otherwise, to an overall length of less than 660 mm; and
•Any firearm prescribed under the Criminal Code regulations to be restricted (including some long guns).

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/restr-eng.htm

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

Last edited by Rod1960; 07-24-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:06 AM

Here you go, its long and not really well organized but it has the info.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/rp-eng.htm
Old 07-25-2011, 07:40 AM

•Any firearm prescribed under the Criminal Code regulations to be restricted (including some long guns).

There's your list right there. Never could figure out the rhyme or reason behind some of these, but that's government for you.

Grizz
Old 07-25-2011, 08:09 AM

Default Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 = restricted

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 = restricted -
It is viewed as a Variant of the AR-15.
Also the magizines are restricted to 10 rounds as S&W makes a pistol that uses the same magizine.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohn7 View Post
Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 = restricted -
It is viewed as a Variant of the AR-15.
Also the magizines are restricted to 10 rounds as S&W makes a pistol that uses the same magizine.
x2 theres parts in this S&W that are inter changable with the AR 15.. makes it restricted.. Ruger SR you will enjoy.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Banned

Not many 22s are restricted...it must be the parts issues mentioned by another fella.

Marstar has a couple of tacti-cool 22's (one looks like a burp gun) and there are a lot of tacti-cool options for Ruger 10/22 if that is your thing.

I just left mine as it was...over scoped it with a 3-9x40 and bought a couple of the hot-lips mags...cause you don't want to be caught empty when the Gopher-Cong are probing your perimeter....lol