Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-20-2011, 06:06 PM

Question Help...can't find the answer.

Hi All, Hoping someone can direct me to the answer. The question is- Can my 9 year old son target practice with Grandpa's .22. Yes, gun is registered, Gramps has PAL and Gramps is always within arms reach of boy. It is done safely of course but his Mother-we are divorced- says it is illegal for him to "touch" a gun. Any help and where I could find the legislation would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:10 PM

He should be ok but phone your Lawyer first!!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:11 PM

Default .22

Personally, I would put the shoe on the other foot, and have her produce explicit proof of the Criminal Code section which states that it is illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfishin View Post
Hi All, Hoping someone can direct me to the answer. The question is- Can my 9 year old son target practice with Grandpa's .22. Yes, gun is registered, Gramps has PAL and Gramps is always within arms reach of boy. It is done safely of course but his Mother-we are divorced- says it is illegal for him to "touch" a gun. Any help and where I could find the legislation would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:28 PM

I doubt there is a specific prohibition against it, however IIRC don't youth have to be 14 to hunt with a firearm? Or is that only for "Big Game"? Don't have the regs handy.

Is she just looking for a reason to make everyone's life difficult?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:30 PM

Or you could just call:

1 800-731-4000

It is the office for the Chief Firearms Officer(s) of Canada - each province has there own CFO but the toll free is or all of Canada.

or just read the following from the Fedral Government:

"Using Firearms Without a Minor’s Licence
Without a minor’s licence, the minor may still use firearms of any class providing they are under the direct and immediate supervision of someone who is licensed to possess that class of firearm. This generally means that the licensed person must be close enough to them to take immediate action to prevent any unsafe or illegal use of the firearm.

This provision affects cadets and members of other youth organizations who receive instruction in the use of firearms or who take part in target practice. It also applies to young people who go hunting or who use restricted or prohibited firearms in organized shooting competitions. "

Hope that helps.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:42 PM

Thanks alot, I will be giving them a call. Yes, its about being difficult. I was raised with guns and fishing rods as were many members here, we know how to be safe and it just seemed ludicrous to me. Plus, Gramps had an expiration date given to him by the doctor recently and I really didn't want to stop doing something they both enjoyed doing together. The advice and info is much appreciated!!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
If its illegal I should be serving life

Tell the ex that making stuff up doesnt make it true

As u described the situation it is perfectly legal

You dont have to call anyone. My answer is correct and I will tune in any LEO you encounter that says different

How is that for an answer

Last edited by huntinstuff; 07-20-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:18 PM

It is 100% legal. Gramps must be close by,
Old 07-21-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

You dont have to call anyone. My answer is correct and I will tune in any LEO you encounter that says different

That is a very good answer Randy!!
Keep shootin straight!!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Huntinstuff you are the "Duke" for 2011. Appreciate your response and the confidence in your answer. I checked and as you said its perfectly legal. Divorce is not good and trying to raise a child that way can be a touchy, thanks to all who commented.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks alot, I will be giving them a call. Yes, its about being difficult. I was raised with guns and fishing rods as were many members here, we know how to be safe and it just seemed ludicrous to me. Plus, Gramps had an expiration date given to him by the doctor recently and I really didn't want to stop doing something they both enjoyed doing together. The advice and info is much appreciated!!
Make sure the camera is busy.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 PM

they better throw my Dad in jail too and my older brothers enjoy the time with your son , I will never forget my early shooting days in the backyard
Old 07-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Banned

It isn't unlawful. He just needs to be directly supervised by a responsible licensed adult guardian.

It's just like the alcohol thing...most Canadians think it is unlawful to give your kid a taste of beer or wine. But..a parent is allowed by law to do just that within their home.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:14 AM
sheephunter

It's sad when kids become pawns in domestic disputes.....Let the boy's grampa take him shooting, that's the stuff he'll remember later in life, not how petty your wife is being.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:16 PM

i can't see it being illegal, after all, some of the larger 8 year olds are welcome at our junior rifle club, and we hold annual competitions and have had the rcmp and local police attend, no one got fined for letting the youngsters shoot. Supervision (by a responsible adult) is the key for good times.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:54 AM
Banned

So long as the child is supervised by a license holder, he is free to shoot. The supervision must be close enough to be able to take control if needed.

As for the ex, don't tell her. don't talk to her about it. Do not argue about it. Just do it. If it is that big of a deal, she will take action, and you will be able to go to court and show that she is being petty, and it will cost her. If she wants, she can also send the jerks from Child and Family Services over. You can also send them packing, as there is nothing wrong with teaching a child proper firearm safety.

I've been down this same road with my ex. Funny thing was she claimed early on that she needed to have sole custody of the kids to "teach them about their native culture" In court the judge chastised her for being petty, and now I have custody of my kids, and she gets to visit them on weekends.

My son is 9, and he has a .22, and I just bought him a hunting rifle to practice with for when he is old enough to hunt. He is a crack shot, and even is handy with a pistol. He has been hunting with me for the past 2 years, and is a great tracker, and is good at dressing grouse. He likes to help out skinning and gutting the animals, and looks forward to the early mornings. Hunting season is a great time for us, and like sleephunter said, your boy will remember the time spent with his grandfather for the rest of his life.