Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-17-2011, 05:42 PM

Default REM. 700 Clip Conversion

I am thinking of buying a used remington 700 in .204 and it has a hinge floor plate now. If I do buy this rifle I would like to have a clip in it. Is there anybody out there that makes a coversion clip for these rifles? Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 07-17-2011, 05:52 PM

HS Precision.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:56 PM

Google "kwik klip"
Old 07-17-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
Google "kwik klip"
Why? they only make long action conversions.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:49 PM

ya they are only long action. are there any others that are cheaper than the ones at HS precision?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:59 PM

Not sure if Remington ever made their DM in 223 sized cartridges, but if they did - they would be the cheapest decent option.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:16 PM

Kwik Klip did make some short action conversions, I saw one at a gun show that was good for .22-250 up to .243win (I think) once.....it was around $150.00 but its the only one I had ever seen.

LC
Old 07-18-2011, 09:07 AM

I hate to argue but I think you are mistaken. Perhaps it was similar, but not a actual kwik Klip.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 AM

Well I am 99.9% sure is was a kwik klip that was good for a .243.....I remember because I have a kwik klip on my .270.....and I distinctly remember the conversation with the guy selling it and he said its the only one he has ever seen for short actions....I could have dreamt it but I don't think I did It doesn't really matter, its likely long gone and by the sounds of it they don't make them in a short action model anymore.

I wish I would have bought it....at the time I had no need for it.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 07-18-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:17 AM

don't you mean magazine not clip? lol
Old 07-18-2011, 02:01 PM

I have yet to see a Kwik Klip for 700 short actions. As far as I know, they have never been available.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
don't you mean magazine not clip? lol
I wasnt going to say anything, that said i have a couple savages i would like to have a floor plate on instead. Although the mags are not over prices and are made of metal unlike the tikka ones.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:10 PM

Default Brownwells

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...METAL_ASSEMBLY

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...HABLE_MAGAZINE
Old 07-20-2011, 08:06 AM

i wish these magazines weret so expensive. they are almost the same price as buying another rifle.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:25 AM

Here is my take on detachable magazines.
1. Something else to loose.
2. Something else to cause a feeding issue or a fail to feed.
3. Precludes overall cartridge length. (your ability to seat reloads out to the lands)
4. In reality it's shot #1 that counts, so can't you single stuff it when your in a crunch?
5. I can load a floor plate 700 as fast a most guys can stuff a ill fitted aftermarket detachable mag in a rifle.
6. Learn to actually unload your rifle, in a safe and quick fashion.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 AM

Default Cabelas

I converted my 700 30.06 a couple of years back. Cabelas offers the kit. Not cheap at about $80 but works great. Comes with one mag. They send you some shims in the kit and say they may be needed. I never had to use them. The 700 is or was the only rifle that they sold the conversion kit for.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:29 AM

I was going to get rid of the floor plate in my 243 until I saw the cost. Learning to live with the floor plate even though it is not as smooth as I would like.

I am spoiled because I have a Tikka with a detachable mag and it is a work of art. No jam.

One of my friends has a Rem 700 22-250 with a blind mag and that is a dangerous thing. Needs to be restocked and a hinge plate added or a detachable mag.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I converted my 700 30.06 a couple of years back. Cabelas offers the kit. Not cheap at about $80 but works great.
The Kwik Klip kits are very cheap, when you consider that in many cases, a spare detachable mag itself, can cost more than that. Price out the better quality kits, and you will see that they cost three times that or more.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Here is my take on detachable magazines.
1. Something else to loose.
2. Something else to cause a feeding issue or a fail to feed.
3. Precludes overall cartridge length. (your ability to seat reloads out to the lands)
4. In reality it's shot #1 that counts, so can't you single stuff it when your in a crunch?
5. I can load a floor plate 700 as fast a most guys can stuff a ill fitted aftermarket detachable mag in a rifle.
6. Learn to actually unload your rifle, in a safe and quick fashion.
Some guys get it others dont.... you dont. And all of your points (except #1 if you prone to losing things) are BS with a quality setup.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Some guys get it others dont.... you dont. And all of your points (except #1 if you prone to losing things) are BS with a quality setup.

So I guess shot #1 does'nt count for you.

Look who's full of BS now!

There are no absolutes
Old 07-25-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The Kwik Klip kits are very cheap, when you consider that in many cases, a spare detachable mag itself, can cost more than that. Price out the better quality kits, and you will see that they cost three times that or more.
One thing that is not stressed often enough wit the quik Clips, is that they MUST be perfectly bedded, or else there is a risk of breaking the trigger guard,this has happened quite often formwhat I have been told by gunsmiths know, and from people I know personally who have had me fix them.
They do not flex ell, and when the screws are sucked down they get put under stress.
A bump sometimes is all it takes to break them.
The upside is that they weld up easily and a shot coat of high gloss barbecue paints matches perfectly, and bedding is simple to do!
Cat
Old 07-25-2011, 12:29 PM

I got the HS Precision Mag kit for my target rifle (LTR). Needed a bit if "finessing" to fit properly, but it works great! I did it for the 10 round capacity.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
So I guess shot #1 does'nt count for you.

Look who's full of BS now!
What the hell are you talking about? What does "shot #1" have to do with using a DM?

Last edited by double gun; 07-25-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? What does "shot #1" have to do with using a DM?
Most of the guys craving these kits wanna jump outta the truck throw in a loaded DM, and wail away and hope they actually hit something

What is your problem?

The BS is most guys dont know what bedding is, most guys buy by price alone, and most of these kits are just one headache after another. Seeing all the things I listed more than once proves it aint BS.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-25-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Most of the guys craving these kits wanna jump outta the truck throw in a loaded DM, and wail away and hope they actually hit something
What is your problem?
The BS is most guys dont know what bedding is, most guys buy by price alone, and most of these kits are just one headache after another. Seeing all the things I listed more than once proves it aint BS.
I dont have a problem with you, and I am sure there are a lot of guys who want a DM to do just what you describe - but there are guys who follow the law and just like them (DM's). I simply said a quality setup wont have any of the so called "problems" you say they will. I will agree that the Kwik Klip is not high quality or a route I would suggest anyone, but again there are many guys who swear by them. And just because you have seen each point on your list means squat, how many of your points have you seen on a quality setup?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I dont have a problem with you, and I am sure there are a lot of guys who want a DM to do just what you describe - but there are guys who follow the law and just like them (DM's). I simply said a quality setup wont have any of the so called "problems" you say they will. I will agree that the Kwik Klip is not high quality or a route I would suggest anyone, but again there are many guys who swear by them. And just because you have seen each point on your list means squat, how many of your points have you seen on a quality setup?
Frankly I've yet to see any one of these set up's I'd discribe as being of good or better quality, of the possible hundreds (yes hundreds) I've seen over the years, very few folks have maintained that moving to a DM (yes even some of the factory set ups are iffy) was a trouble free endeavour.

I'd really like to see one of these quality set up's your talking about, just so the issue can be closed, but as of now. Nope taint seen a one.

I think we can agree that two different POV's exist here, and lets, just leave it at that.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-26-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Frankly I've yet to see any one of these set up's I'd discribe as being of good or better quality, of the possible hundreds (yes hundreds) I've seen over the years, very few folks have maintained that moving to a DM (yes even some of the factory set ups are iffy) was a trouble free endeavour.
I'd really like to see one of these quality set up's your talking about, just so the issue can be closed, but as of now. Nope taint seen a one.
I think we can agree that two different POV's exist here, and lets, just leave it at that.
Hundreds of different brands of magazines? thats funny. If you have seen hundreds please list say - 50, it should be easy to list half of the ones you have seen. Have a look at HS Precision, Vbull precision, Surgeon, tactical rifles inc, accuracy international, cooper, steyr mannlicher, sako... etc. Let me know if you want more.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Hundreds of different brands of magazines? thats funny. If you have seen hundreds please list say - 50, it should be easy to list half of the ones you have seen. Have a look at HS Precision, Vbull precision, Surgeon, tactical rifles inc, accuracy international, cooper, steyr mannlicher, sako... etc. Let me know if you want more.
Of the hundreds I speak of I'm refering to scads of Kwik Klips, and lots of Win (PF) and 700 DM models, and of course the many older Savage 11/110, and even a hand full of the newer Savage center feeds.

FWIW, I've even seen a few Sako (85) clips which were a PITA. Tikka's seem pretty immune BTW

I guess you hang with a much more high brow crowd to see a lot of the HS, Sturgeon and others you listed.

Again most folks I've seen want DM's for apparently differing reasons than you've seen.

Lets just put this one to bed.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-26-2011, 12:50 PM

I understand what Dick is saying. Road hunters do like mags... I bought my HS kit for competitions and I know a few others who have done the same. I haven't seen the Kwik Klip setup up close to quage quality, but i do know the HS kit IS quality and was fitted properly by Rick T. The loads I was using prior to the kit still fit, and shoot just the same. The only difference is I have 10 rounds at my disposal.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Of the hundreds I speak of I'm refering to scads of Kwik Klips, and lots of Win (PF) and 700 DM models, and of course the many older Savage 11/110, and even a hand full of the newer Savage center feeds.
FWIW, I've even seen a few Sako (85) clips which were a PITA. Tikka's seem pretty immune BTW
I guess you hang with a much more high brow crowd to see a lot of the HS, Sturgeon and others you listed.
Again most folks I've seen want DM's for apparently differing reasons than you've seen.
Lets just put this one to bed.
Not once I have said kwik Klips are well made, or trouble free. I said the high quality mags are trouble free. You were the one to argue. I also never claimed to see lots of the aftermarkets I listed, I simply gave you a list of well made options that are trouble free according to many tactical, military and other law enforcement agencies. I have and have used the HS product, Steyr mannlicher, aswell as multiple Sako's and all have been trouble free and work as intended. In my eyes, its a simple case of you get what you pay for. I dont own and never had a savage so I cant comment. I agree that it is indeed bedtime.