Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-20-2007, 10:03 AM

Exclamation Keep it Light with some Smart Choices

Over the last few seasons since i began the backpack sheep trips in the Willmore, i have been trying to find ways to save weight. However food has been something i value so i don't like to skimp out.

The first year:

Water was no problem in the valley but up on the adams creek lookout, could not find anything not even a seep. so the 1 litre nalogen looked scary. After the climb replenishing fluid was necessary & the 1L was not enough. The hike down to a creek was 1 km. High Energy/Protein Bars were used for breakfeast, lunch and snacks. Grew tired of them on day 4.

-1 for breakfast, 1 more for a snack, 1 in the afternoon, then dinner of mountain meal (1 bag for two)

Year Two (New area in the park)

Camping and hiking along a creek (plenty of water)
Breakfast bars in the morning, brought in cured Italian sausages, with bread & cheese. Nice tasting but, cheese gets funny with heat & sausages were a little heavy. But still tasty. Supper was 2 mountain meals, 1/person.

Year Three (More changes, so far the best)

Brought in a shower bag (1.5gal), camped higher up in the valley, more views less near water, but lots of options with springs & creeks if spiking over night. Bag served as storage supply & option for shower (day 3-4).

Meals: Breakfast bars (variety of oatmeal & protein) in the morning and some dried apricots. Snacks and lunch were Jerky, trail mix, more nuts &/or a bar, 1 emergency bag in case of overnight spike of instant idaho potatoes, or KD 1 pot, 1 fire stick (use pieces not the whole thing) 1 bar each for breakfast the next morning and enough trail mix carried for emergency ration (2 cups)

Supper: Mix of light weight mountain meals, KD or instant potatoes with some jerky.

This past 2007 season has been the most successfull and satisfying regarding food, water & preparation convenience. The instant meals & dried meat & fruit made stops/starts effective & or more relaxing if sitting.

This 2008 season is going to be more spiking and then back to base camp for more supplies. We figure 2-3 spike trips over 8 days. Water has not been a big issue with abundnce of springs and creeks up the rang thus far. Iodine pellets are in the Emerg Kit. As the body gets in better shape, it seems like sweating, replenishment & recovery are easier achieved as i get in better shape & more experience.

So far each hunt and scout trip is based on some precalculation but mostly trial & error. The main thing is to take carefull steps be alert, cautious, focused and be realistic to know yours & your partners limits.

Simpatico
Old 12-20-2007, 10:08 AM

I fall into the category of starving yourself. Not many perks out there but I find that I spend very little time eating....or even wanting to.

2 instant oatmeal (cinnamon/raisin or maple/brownsugar)

trailmix/granola/energy bars when we stop

Mountain House for supper. I only buy the beef/potatoes or the lasagna because they are good. I have never tried the "spicier" ones but if they are like these 2 they are probably pretty good. I'm just not that adventurous.

I do add gatorade powder to my water in my hydration pack....some say this is not good because of cleanliness but I feel that it helps replace what you're burnin up.

Hopefully there is a rack of smoked ribs at some pint of the trip.

Has anyone heard about "risks" with the Nalgene bottles. I saw on the news that there was a recall on some plastic bottles. The have the #7 on the bottom of the bottle (usually in a triangle). My Nalgene bottles were of this type. Some cancer causing issues with leaching....especially bad for guys. They also used this plastic in baby bottles...my understanding is that all were recalled.....Wifey chucked all mine.

tm
Old 12-20-2007, 10:11 AM
sheephunter

Just curious why you base camp and spike. I've always been like a turtle and carried my entire camp on my back, moving ever deeper into sheep country each day. It does make for heavier loads but I've always thought it allowed me to cover more country. Sometimes we'll camp for a few days in the same spot and day hunt out of camp in different directions but I always take the entire camp if I'm going to spend a night.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:23 AM

agreed, the more country a guy ends up hunting the better. I packed camp the whole way this year while hunting on ram mountain. good thing i did because i didnt find sheep till i hit the north peak, and i came in on the very south. Its a hell of a longs ways, 9 different peaks. It was good though beacuse i saw lots of sheep when i did get over there. But unfortunatley no shooters, damn full curl trophy zone! but it was good
Old 12-20-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Base & Spike Camp

Brett & Sheep,

I am setting my thoughts on getting into this form of the backpack hunt. My results are mostly from trial & error and that's why i am trying to contunousy find literature & tips about the techniques. This years scouting trips are going to be loops through the portion of the range we hunt. Two scout trips for 3 days each. 1 in May 1 in July or Early Aug. I started this way based on the mentoring i have been getting from a solid Sheep hunter friend of mine. He is 60 and has been backpacking in to the same base for 30 years. Each day is up into a different basin or view point, glass & hike and unless successfull return that evening. The base we created this year is in a location that has access to 6 different basins. However the three we are most interested in are 4hours away. So that's why the spiking is starting. My partner is so open minded and I think we will eventually be in the right frame to just continue moving through the range with everything on our backs.

We thought about a horse drop but while i am still young i really want to feel the pain and glory after it is over with that ram on my back. Only thing is at this point i am dying to taste the meat. I am serously contemplating going in later so at least i can cary a ewe tag and kill the craving if opportunity presents itself later in the hunt. Or we figured we kill one small ewe and start eating. I don't know if it's possible though.

I will be getting additions to my topos shots from SRD to begin preparing our backpack trek during the scout trips into the basins we havn't seen yet.

I am just waiting for a first edition of Skyline Pursuits. CAN'T WAIT. NEW SHEEP LITERATURE!

Simpatico
Old 12-20-2007, 11:11 AM

Well good luck to you sympatico, hope you guys tag out, as the experience is what its all about. And yah im a "young buck" to and enjoy the grueling miles and the pain of it all. haha. As to your regards to sheep meat, it Really depends on the sheep. Ive ate a ram that was like chewing on a muckluck! And i have had another that you could cut evey peice with a fork. If you get a good one you will love it. On that note i have sheep steaks on the counter thawing as we speak

Good hunting,
Brett
Old 12-20-2007, 11:16 AM
sheephunter

That makes good sense then Sypatico. The area we hunt doesn't really lend itself that well to that style of hunting. It's more linear...working 10-15 mile-long ranges where you can ridgewalk the entire way. It pretty well takes five or six days of traveling one direction to see it all. It sounds like you are busting your butt and getting some good advice from an experienced sheep hunter. Your turn will definitely come! Keep up the hard work.

I'm definitely not a young buck anymore...ugh...oh well, still a few more years in this old body!
Old 12-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Sheep

Brett your having sheep steak for supper i live in Caroline when is supper LOL
Old 12-20-2007, 12:45 PM

haha do yah? rite on, suppers at night time. u live here long
Old 12-20-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
That makes good sense then Sypatico. The area we hunt doesn't really lend itself that well to that style of hunting. It's more linear...working 10-15 mile-long ranges where you can ridgewalk the entire way. It pretty well takes five or six days of traveling one direction to see it all. It sounds like you are busting your butt and getting some good advice from an experienced sheep hunter. Your turn will definitely come! Keep up the hard work.

I'm definitely not a young buck anymore...ugh...oh well, still a few more years in this old body!
Simpatico you seem to have your s**t together and i also think with your hard work and determination that it will not be long before we see photos of you and your Willmore Ram.

Hey sheep,

I also like the pita and P butter but have you ever tried this combo with 3 or 4 slices of Bacon???You will love it...Trust Me.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:48 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
Simpatico you seem to have your s**t together and i also think with your hard work and determination that it will not be long before we see photos of you and your Willmore Ram.

Hey sheep,

I also like the pita and P butter but have you ever tried this combo with 3 or 4 slices of Bacon???You will love it...Trust Me.

Never in a pita but on toast for sure. Truthfully, I can't think of one food that bacon does not make taste better.....
Old 12-20-2007, 12:49 PM

Finally a two page thread that doesnt have any bashing. Just good old story sharing and trading trade secrets of the back country.

Quote:
I've always been like a turtle and carried my entire camp on my back, moving ever deeper into sheep country each day.
I haven't done it this way, but I have been getting ready for the past year. Previously I have hunted from camp.
By this coming season I want to be 100% self sufficient out of my pack. I am still shopping for a lightweight tent. It will be nice to have everything you need right with you.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 12-20-2007, 12:54 PM
sheephunter

Something that I started doing this year was taking my own tent, rather than sharing a tent and it's a practice I'll continue with for sure, especially on the longer hunts. Having a bit of your own space is nice on an extended hunt.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:55 PM

u bet, no bashing is good. And taking camp with you i find makes it a way better hunt, get to see more area, more game. kinda makes you feel like a damn gypsie though lol. I find its its hard to get a hunting partner to go along with a guy when i do this though, so it kinda sucks. Hard to find a sheep hunter that will put up with as many miles as i like to go also. So i have gone by myself a couple times, which isnt to smart. But hey i can't keep myself from goin hunting though!
Old 12-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:49 PM
sheephunter

I must say that I've been an external frame guy all my life and carried way too many loads that I doubt internal frame packs of the day could have supported. But, as I get older, the loads get smaller and from what I've seen of internal frames these days, they are better. Many of them are neither true internal nor external frame. I suspect my next pack will be a Mystery Ranch. As much as I hate big loads, I still need something that will hold an entire hind quarter off a moose. Finding an internal frame big enough for my needs is the biggest challenge but the Kodiak looks like a great fit!
Old 12-20-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I still need something that will hold an entire hind quarter off a moose. Finding an internal frame big enough for my needs is the biggest challenge but the Kodiak looks like a great fit!
Kifaru Longhunter.....but you already knew that. I would not be lookin forward to that hump at all. Expecally knowing that you have at least 5 more trips...ouch

tm
Old 12-20-2007, 04:18 PM
sheephunter

Well I do get smarter every year but I've backpacked way more moose and elk than I care to admit.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:24 PM

tough on the body to say the least. All worth it though.

I re-read your post and it got me wondering...I use the longhunter...but I don't know if it's a "true" internal frame....pretty comfy though....well...as comfortable as a guy can expect. The platform on the back holds up amazingly well and you can pack way too much weight on it. I'm going to look up that Kodiak that you mentioned.....I love bein a gear nut!!!

tm
Old 12-20-2007, 04:27 PM

That Kodiak is huge.......not sure what ya do with it though. The meat all goes inside the pack....is that correct??

tm
Old 12-20-2007, 04:33 PM
sheephunter

Yes, I prefer packing everything inside if possible. The further away the load gets from your body the more it stresses your body. Even on my external frame, all the meat and other heavy stuff goes on the inside at the bottom.

Space is always an issue for me...much more so than weight. Ten days worth of food is not heavy but sure can fill a pack in a hurry. If weight were just the issue, I'm sure a school knapsack would be sufficient but it seems as though I always have a lot of stuff. Throw in some clothes, especially on a late-season hunt and you can fill a big pack in a hurry.

Not saying the longhunter isn't big enough but I need a new pack and getting one with more volume really doesn't increase the weight...unless you fill it that is...lol
Old 12-20-2007, 04:35 PM

oatmeal for breakfasts
Mountain house for supper
I also carry an MSR filter. I have had some troubles with bad water in the past and won't do it again. I try and carry 1-2 litres per day.
Also I have a Brunton burner which I highly recommend.
One problem I am trying to remedy is longer hunts in the mountains, I find the mountain house dinners take up too much room.
I also started carrying the Powerbar gel packs (like runners use) when I need an extra boost during an extra long hike up a mountain. I hate the taste though.
My typical mode of movement is to take my entire camp with me, so I try and keep my pack down.
How many people carry any safety gear (bandages etc?) Some duct tape always comes in handy.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:36 PM

Internal pack for me.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipes View Post
How many people carry any safety gear (bandages etc?)

NEVER leave home without it...tylenol and Ibuprofen.....take one every day when I'm hikeing.....supposed to help with inflammation or something like that. Another important piece of this kit is moleskin.....nothin worse than a blister at the wrong time

Anyone else out there do the vitamin thing? Keeps up what's needed....I find they help as well as not weighing a guy down. There are these vegan wierdo's out there that totally live off pills....wait a minute.....maybe that's why they all look like death warmed over

tm
Old 12-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Shrubs

Default vitamins

I also take vitamins. Not just for hunting but everyday. I'm fortunate/unfortunate enough to have a physical job and find I can't be without them for too long. I think if a person has any kind of active lifestyle they should take some kind of supplement.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Getting smarter and going harder

Hey Guys, Just got back to the PC had some xmas shopping to get done. I'll post now, walk the dog and be back. Hope i can catch some people.

I have my sights set on a new tent & pack this season. The pack may wait but the tent i don't think can any longer. Kifaru sells a tent called the para tipi c/w stove weighs in at approx. 6-1/4lbs +-. Without the stove it is 3lbs. I have shared a tent for two fo my three seasons and this last year cached the one from the year before and was lucky to stumble on it again. The tent was hammered and i think had half a roll of duck tape on it. The beauty of my own tent was great. i read at night looked at my maps and scratched to my hearts content. I am not going back in without and since it is early the tent alone will be fine with my bag.

All i can say right now is my partner and i have been discussing the tactics daily. All i need is the lottery and i am there every day. Seriously the set up then take down and continue method is going to happen. If that's what gets the winning ticket i'm in. Besides it means i'll probably stumble into cool situations and have more adventure.

I saw a post from an alaskan guide that uses dry socks. Check them out. Just google wiggys and look at foot wear or accesories and you'll see them they weigh 5oz and slip on and off your boots.

This helps with the 30-40 stream crossings and saves those boots for the high dryer country. I hated drying boots every night.

Simpatico
Old 12-20-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
Internal frame or external frame?
Up intill this year I had a internal frame. I sold it and am going to do the external frame thing. My reason for switching just the same as you guys have mentioned. I do still have a smaller internal frame one hanging in the closet for those summer day hikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipes View Post
How many people carry any safety gear (bandages etc?)
Yes the very basic first aid things with me. I also carry some tape. You can do a lot of things with a litte tape.

Heck one time I seen Red Green fix a .......
lol

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 12-20-2007, 08:28 PM

ya have both packs and prefer and external frame. I find there nicer to tie stuff onto, bed rolls, tent ect. I swear i have the nicest sleeping bag ever for those trips. My parents bought it for my grandfather 20 years ago, when he passed away he left it to me. Its a 5 star woods with a removable wool liner. It cost them 900 bucks back then! But it is the warmest thing i have ever crawled into and to mention very light! And also i pack a standard first aid kit, along with duct tape and zip ties, those things work wonders!
Old 12-20-2007, 08:54 PM

Ok lets add this into the list of Q's.

What size (volume) is your pack?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for: