Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-12-2010, 03:02 PM

Default NAP Thunderheads

Anyone have any experience with NAP Thunderheads? I was hoping to try them out. I'm tired of my Montecs getting bent if I miss or getting a poor blood trail. Love the Montecs, I'm just getting the 7 year itch for another broadhead. My usual range in hunting is 30 to 50 yards, shooting a 65 lb compund.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:21 PM

I used to shoot them exclusively. They flew fine, and cut well enough. I have been shooting Montech's for the last couple years, but I am switching back to Thunderheads this year. Mostly because of the $$$.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:44 PM

I was using 100gr thunderheads for quite a few years then tried Rages (didn't like) This year I am trying T3's. Thunderheads are good flew fine to 50 yds ( Furthest I shot) and love the replacement blades. I changed just for the sake of something new
Old 09-13-2010, 10:52 AM

If you liked the montecs, why not try the Strykers. I haven't used them personally, but have heard alot of good things about them.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:48 PM

Thunderheads are good broadheads. I shot a bear with them and talk about a wound channel, same think with my buddies bear. They shoot good for me but I have only killed 1 bear with them.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:39 PM

I thought about the Strykers and also NAP Hellrazors. I'm trying to shy away from some of the G5 products due to the higher price. It's more of my way of taking a stand against ricidulously priced archery gear than not liking the product. $50 for 3 heads seems dumb to me. I think there are still good products out there for reasonable money. Thunderheads seem to have a good rep and the price is right.

So far they have outperformed the Montecs on sharpness (by a country mile) and have blasted through targets the Montecs can barely squeek through. I'm more confident of better penetration and blood trails coming up this season. I haven't tested longer range capability yet.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
I thought about the Strykers and also NAP Hellrazors. I'm trying to shy away from some of the G5 products due to the higher price. It's more of my way of taking a stand against ricidulously priced archery gear than not liking the product. $50 for 3 heads seems dumb to me. I think there are still good products out there for reasonable money. Thunderheads seem to have a good rep and the price is right.

So far they have outperformed the Montecs on sharpness (by a country mile) and have blasted through targets the Montecs can barely squeek through. I'm more confident of better penetration and blood trails coming up this season. I haven't tested longer range capability yet.
Have you tried Muzzys,Very reasonably priced Aprox 45.00 foe 6 including a practice blade.Excelent broadhead Ive used them for years on everything from bears to moose.Really tough bh
Old 09-14-2010, 02:00 PM

I've heard lots of good things about Muzzy but have never been impressed with that big chisel tip. Always wanted to shy away from chisel tips with a lot of parts. I think thats why I went to Montecs in the first place.