Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-07-2010, 07:29 PM

Default Help.....

I cannot for the life of me get my arrows to tune. 4days now and really frustrated. Shootin a Brand new maxxis 31 with axis arrows 340 9.5gpi bow set at 65 lbs WT?. 3 good shots then outa nowhere 6 Shatty shots then 2 good shots and one bad shot then 3 bad shots and 2 good shots and so on and so forth. I am not gettin tired because I am taking a good rest in between ( Ithought thats what it might be). Shhotin 100g 4 blade muzzys think I have tried everything..anyone have any suggestions before I make a fool of myself at Sherwood Park Archery. I have been hunting with compound for about 7 years so have some knowledgr and have never had a problem before. HELP HELP HELP.the end

ps
I am trying to shoot only 30 yards for my first pin

Last edited by lilsundance; 09-08-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: langauge
Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowandbuck View Post
I cannot for the life of me get my *%$#&^ arrows to tune. 4days now and really frustrated. Shootin a Brand new maxxis 31 with axis arrows 340 9.5gpi bow set at 65 lbs WTF. 3 good shots then outa nowhere 6 Shatty shots then 2 good shots and one bad shot then 3 bad shots and 2 good shots and so on and so forth. I am not gettin tired because I am taking a good rest in between ( Ithought thats what it might be). Shhotin 100g 4 blade muzzys think I have tried everything..anyone have any suggestions before I make a fool of myself at Sherwood Park Archery. I have been hunting with compound for about 7 years so have some knowledgr and have never had a problem before. HELP HELP HELP.the end

ps
I am trying to shoot only 30 yards for my first pin
what draw length are you?

could be arrow rest contact?
i would try shooting some 400 spine arrows and see what that does, if the arrows are not properly spined they will not shoot worth a hoot
Old 09-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Banned

have someone else try shooting it. i dont know what your archery shop of choice is, but i know it has some good shooters in it....they all do. it could just be you....torquing is common. im not saying you suck, but sometimes the answer is so close you cant see it yourself. i had the same problem myself a few years back.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:56 PM

Are your problems with both broad heads and field points? Is it the same arrow that is giving you the poor shot placement? Spin test your broad heads? Arrow rest contact? Could be a lot of things, keep your cool and start eliminating things one by one.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 PM

29" draw, 29 and 1/4" arrow length. I am gonna let a buddy shoot it tomorrow and see whats up. Note it is 6 arrows in same shot order and only with broad heads. I never sight in with field tips. Whatcha mean arrow rest?? why would that be an issue? thanks for the help all!! I will start eliminating 2 morrow,I have all day but I want to figure it out for my FIRST EVENING SIT
Old 09-07-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowandbuck View Post
29" draw, 29 and 1/4" arrow length. I am gonna let a buddy shoot it tomorrow and see whats up. Note it is 6 arrows in same shot order and only with broad heads. I never sight in with field tips. Whatcha mean arrow rest?? why would that be an issue? thanks for the help all!! I will start eliminating 2 morrow,I have all day but I want to figure it out for my FIRST EVENING SIT
I am willing to bet that your bow is so out of tune that it will not shoot well with broadheads. you should be shooting 400spine arrows also from my experience. you should shoot a group with field points and then broadheads at same target see if they hit the same place, if they dont you are out of tune. get ahold of some 400 spine arrows and try them. Is your arrow rest making contact on the fletching? what type of arrow rest are you using?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 AM

hand torque is my guess...

a stiiff arrow will always shoot broaheads better then a weak one will..

sight in with your feild points, then shoot broadheads...if you can get your FP;s shooting great then screw on your broadheads and if you get crap groups then your bow is out of tune..
Old 09-08-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale_M View Post
hand torque is my guess...

a stiiff arrow will always shoot broaheads better then a weak one will..

sight in with your feild points, then shoot broadheads...if you can get your FP;s shooting great then screw on your broadheads and if you get crap groups then your bow is out of tune..
not always Kale

I was shooting 350 spine arrows and changed my draw up 1/2 inch bow was completely tuned up and ready to go decided to screw my broadheads on and see how they shot could not hit the target at 40 yards with them feild points were hammering side by side. switched down to a 500 spine arrow and now the arrows are grouping better than ever and never had to touch the tune of bow. A stiff spined arrow has no forgiveness where a weaker one does and it will work better for you.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:48 PM

Funny I'm shooting the same setup as you, just picked up my Hoyt Maxxis 31 a few months back they set it up for me where I purchased it, but I was having simular problems, it was all it the tuning, I brought it to Lawrence at Accurate Archery south of Spruce Grove, and wow it was super tuned to the pin, The Hoyt Maxxis as a great bow but like any other bow has to be tuned properly, something is out and you need a good bow tech to take a look at it. PM me I will get you Lawrences contact info.
There was a thread a while back with someone who brought his bow to Lawrence at Accurate archery who had simmular problems, Lawrence is the best bow tech I know of.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:22 PM

Similar problem, maybe same solution...If you're wearing a long sleeved shirt or hoodie it may be contacting the string occasionally causing inconsistency.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM

funny, i have the maxxis 31 with axis arrows with 29in draw length. this was happening to me for a while, i was starting to get frustrated, but i figured that it was just me so i tried to stay confident and keep on shooting. but then one day i go to SPA to get a new rest installed, and while putting the rest in, he tells me my cams are not aligned...obviously this will affect my shooting. so for 10$ he aligns them, and now my bow draws better, and is much more consistent, who knows, same bow, maybe the same problem?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:49 PM

i was working on mine last night and was haveing trouble too but started again
tonight and finally made some head way. Mostly my problem i think was fatique
the bow was cranked worked all day and was tired. Maybe it might just be something simple and dumb you wouldnt think about.Good luck and have fun
Old 09-11-2010, 10:46 AM

bowandbuck how did you make out?