Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2021, 09:27 AM

Default side by side stuck

Last week was a post of a man who had his side by side stuck or broke down asking for some help the question is did he get help?
Old 01-17-2021, 09:44 AM

I spoke with Don last weekend and offered my help. He was still looking for a 2nd tracked side by side. I think there was enough man power willing to go. The machine might still be out there though.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:51 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=393231
Old 01-17-2021, 10:02 AM

An aside maybe. I was shown a video last year where a guy buried his pickup in soft sand and with only some cord and some sort of turn blocks positioned at the two ends pulled that truck back out by hand no problem.
May be worth finding that product for you adventurous types.

Osky
Old 01-17-2021, 10:09 AM

The log winch for what it’s worth

https://youtu.be/oLMBn29IPoU
Old 01-17-2021, 10:50 AM

I would think that a gas powered winch, and a couple of snatch blocks, along with the electric winch on the SxS going in for the recovery, you could recover pretty much pull any stuck SxS unless it got dropped into a crevas, sunk in a Beaver dam or something. Even on the original thread I didn't really follow why so much equipment was needed for the recovery. Better explanation and a couple of pictures would have helped but long and short, really hope he managed to get it out and got the help he needed.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:14 AM

Talking

LOL....... I thought you were talking about Shotguns
Old 01-17-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I would think that a gas powered winch, and a couple of snatch blocks, along with the electric winch on the SxS going in for the recovery, you could recover pretty much pull any stuck SxS unless it got dropped into a crevas, sunk in a Beaver dam or something. Even on the original thread I didn't really follow why so much equipment was needed for the recovery. Better explanation and a couple of pictures would have helped but long and short, really hope he managed to get it out and got the help he needed.
Was thinking the same thing.

I guess if you have never seen, or don't have the experience, there are the right ways to recover a vehicle and then there's the hard way. Brute force and straight pulls often lead to bigger problems and require more equipment/force.

A little knowledge and experience and a few of the right tools make a HUGE difference.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
The log winch for what it’s worth

https://youtu.be/oLMBn29IPoU

That was an awesome video/tip - thx !

Too bad I can never remember how to do knots. 5 mins after watching this I probably couldn't duplicate that if my life depended on it.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2C3PO View Post

Too bad I can never remember how to do knots. 5 mins after watching this I probably couldn't duplicate that if my life depended on it.
Take some string and a couple of sticks and practice it a few times , then when you need it it will come to you
Old 01-17-2021, 01:05 PM

We got a square body blazer stuck pretty good years ago and we pulled it out with a chain come along, elbow grease, some beer and a couple doobies.

I have a small come along I might keep in my side by side tool box. I don't want to be fully dependent on the electric winch only.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have a gas powered capstan winch and it can pull a lot more than a atv with tracks. Like you said, couple of snatch blocks and your in business
Old 01-17-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
We got a square body blazer stuck pretty good years ago and we pulled it out with a chain come along, elbow grease, some beer and a couple doobies.

I have a small come along I might keep in my side by side tool box. I don't want to be fully dependent on the electric winch only.
I have a Jack all in my truck when ever I go anywhere. A Jack all with the proper attachments can be used as a winch quite quickly.

I’d go help out and I’d quad in my 8k lb winch on a receiver. Strap it to a tree and hook it up to a spare battery. If it’s as stuck as they say.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Was thinking the same thing.

I guess if you have never seen, or don't have the experience, there are the right ways to recover a vehicle and then there's the hard way. Brute force and straight pulls often lead to bigger problems and require more equipment/force.

A little knowledge and experience and a few of the right tools make a HUGE difference.

Yup.

Twice the neighbors boys got stuck in a swamp on their grazing lease.
Twice they asked me to help so their pops wouldn't find out.

First time they stuck a quad. They tried pulling it out with two other quads
Then asked me to come with my quad and help out.

I pulled it out without their help. Simply went around and pulled it backwards.

Second time they stuck a Chev 4x4. Getting it out took a team effort.
My 4x4 and two quads pulling together. But at first it wouldn't budge until I explained to them they could not spin the wheels. I got them to put on just enough power to feel it pull a bit. Then it came out. Reluctantly.

I've had a lifetime of driving dirt roads, soft fields and cutlines to learn from. And still learn a new trick ever now and again.

I feel for the young guys who've spent the better part of their lives on pavement. Hard to learn where you can't get suck.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-17-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Yup.

Twice the neighbors boys got stuck in a swamp on their grazing lease.
Twice they asked me to help so their pops wouldn't find out.

First time they stuck a quad. They tried pulling it out with two other quads
Then asked me to come with my quad and help out.

I pulled it out without their help. Simply went around and pulled it backwards.

Second time they stuck a Chev 4x4. Getting it out took a team effort.
My 4x4 and two quads pulling together. But at first it wouldn't budge until I explained to them they could not spin the wheels. I got them to put on just enough power to feel it pull a bit. Then it came out. Reluctantly.

I've had a lifetime of driving dirt roads, soft fields and cutlines to learn from. And still learn a new trick ever now and again.

I feel for the young guys who've spent the better part of their lives on pavement. Hard to learn where you can't get suck.
True enough.

I made more than enough mistakes in life doing the things the hard way - getting stuck driving where I shouldn't have been (before the day and age of everyone having a cell phone) and facing a long walk out, had to figure it out and learn.

Listening to old crusty guys was critical to our success (both in off roading as it was for hunting or fishing).

These guys learned before the internet and how to videos.

You would be surprised what you can do with a few snatch blocks, straps, rigging, jack and a come along ....

I did a log A frame recovery on my landcruiser after discovering that not all the muskeg was frozen .... lol .... 200 yards from a solid tree - you better get it out before she does freeze !!!!!
Old 01-17-2021, 03:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
you better get it out before she does freeze !!!!!

LOL You said a mouth full there. I was fortunate to learn that lesson at my sister's expense.

She got the old cornbinder stuck in a melt pond one spring.

It was too late to retrieve it before dark so it was left overnight.

Next morning it was ten below and we had a big problem. It took hours of chopping ice and all the W6 had in her to get it out.
We wound up with a driveshaft twisted like a wet towel and no grain truck for spring planting.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-17-2021, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
LOL You said a mouth full there. I was fortunate to learn that lesson at my sister's expense.

She got the old cornbinder stuck in a melt pond one spring.

It was too late to retrieve it before dark so it was left overnight.

Next morning it was ten below and we had a big problem. It took hours of chopping ice and all the W6 had in her to get it out.
We wound up with a driveshaft twisted like a wet towel and no grain truck for spring planting.
We had an old w6 at our farm as well👍
Old 01-18-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2C3PO View Post

https://www.animatedknots.com/

Like any skill......Find 3-4 knots you like and get good at it....No different than your 3-4 favorite fishing knots.

Good luck....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 01-18-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:12 AM

the bowline knot is one of the most usefull if using rope.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:06 PM

Got Ken out thanks to all for their concern
Old 01-18-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo mulcher View Post
Got Ken out thanks to all for their concern
Good job. I was thinking about this and what I could do remotely. A lot of good help and people on this forum.