Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-27-2009, 02:29 PM

Nice work TJ,can't beat triple shocks.I don't think the plains game are any different than our game when it comes to toughness,your right,a properly placed bullet will make them die.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned

First of all I will start with the fact that it is great to hear from you TJ I hope we can look forward to more input from you in the future.

Second of all congratulations to both yourself and your wife on what looks like a great trip. And like has already been mentioned I hate to guess at what the taxidermy bill on that hunt is going to be,,, ouch !!!

I would also like to say that I really enjoy the fine photography,, I do enjoy looking at well taken pics it really does make the trip doesn't it ??

As well good job on taking along some gifts and supplies for the local people I am sure it was all very much needed and appreciatted along with the fresh meat,, all good...

Oh yah,, one more thing are those tracking dogs Beegles ???

Last edited by Walleyes; 04-27-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:53 PM

Good to see you back on the board, Sheep. Great pics and thanks for posting them.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:05 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Oh yah,, one more thing are those tracking dogs Beegles ???
Jack Russels

Thanks for the kind words!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Good to see and hear from you....let me know if you and V. would be interested in slamming some Geese this fall....enjoy the pics and your perspective.....
Old 04-28-2009, 09:38 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Good to see and hear from you....let me know if you and V. would be interested in slamming some Geese this fall....enjoy the pics and your perspective.....
You know me, I'm always interested in shooting geese and after V got her first taste of it last fall, she's addicted!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:54 AM

Wow, Sheep. Looks like you had a blast! Congrats!

Thanks for posting those awesome pics.

Stinky
Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 PM

Default Did you eat them?

TJ,

I am curious which tastes the best ... (no flaming please - I am not interested in getting into a pi**ing match with folks on shooting vs eating) ... just curious if your hosts cooked any of it up and what it tasted like?

Given the heat in Africa, I was thinking of worms and parasites ... but I
could be off base.

Great pics thought ... are you going to do a written article in any
of the hunting mags on your trip?

Northern
Old 04-28-2009, 01:39 PM
sheephunter

Ya, we tried some of everything we shot except for the warthog. All the meat was excellent but I have to say that zebra was my favourite. All of the other meat was donated to local villages and the school. While our outfitter had the ability to freeze meat, obviously the locals don't so they dry all the meat into thin strips much like our jerky. It's called biltong. There is not an ounce of meat, internal organs or stomach goes to waste. Meat is a very precious commodity where we hunted and our outfitter is required by his agreement with the conservancy to distribute the meat throughout it.

It was funny, the skinners and trackers were far more interested in getting the stomach out than the hind quarters. Apparently it's really good dried. I'll take their word for it.

I'm sure you'll see a few stories over the next few years.

Last edited by sheephunter; 04-28-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:54 PM

Congrats on an awesome hunt Sheep! Awesome that you could give something as well as take.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:47 AM

WOW that is awesome. Oryx and Kudu are my favs. If I ever get a chance to go I will be looking for those two first. Nothing else will matter if I can't at least see them in the wild.
Great pics. Love the camp pics and such also. It is nice to see the pics of everyday stuff once in a while.
I am also glad to see that you are now a believer of the TSX fad. If you remember we had a discussion almost 2 years ago about the copper bullets. I am still a fan of them.
Any of this be on TV by chance?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:03 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
WOW that is awesome. Oryx and Kudu are my favs. If I ever get a chance to go I will be looking for those two first. Nothing else will matter if I can't at least see them in the wild.
Great pics. Love the camp pics and such also. It is nice to see the pics of everyday stuff once in a while.
I am also glad to see that you are now a believer of the TSX fad. If you remember we had a discussion almost 2 years ago about the copper bullets. I am still a fan of them.
Any of this be on TV by chance?
Yes, these hunts will definitely be on WILD TV. Two will air in the 3rd and 4th quarters of 2009 and two will air in 2010. In addition to the hunting, we've got some great footage of the other sights in Namibia that we'll be sharing as well.

Regarding the TSX bullets...what can I say....even an old dog can learn new tricks. Not sure I'll give up on my Trophy Bonded Bear Claws but I do have new respect for the TSX.

The gemsbok and kudu are undoubtedly the plains game animal that respresents Africa best. I was really fortunate to take such an incredible gemsbok and such a nice kudu. Both were very memorable hunts as well. I must say that the hartesees is the one I gained the most respect for though. While they won't win any beauty contests, they are as challenging to stalk as any game I've seen.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:15 AM

Hey TJ,
Great animals! Where abouts do you sight see? Did you go to Swakopmound?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:32 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep nut View Post
Hey TJ,
Great animals! Where abouts do you sight see? Did you go to Swakopmound?

Yes we did get to Swakop. A very nice city but a bit touristy....loved the Tiger Reef Bar though. Also rode a camel there. That was kind of fun. Also checked out Etosha and made a quick trip to the dunes at Soususvlei. Namibia is a country of very diverse landscapes for sure.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 PM

Thumbs up

Hi Sheep: You Rock!!!!

I hope to one day have my pictures and memories look a lot like yours.

Thanks for sharing,

Hoopi
Old 05-03-2009, 07:22 PM

Great adventure TJ, thanks for sharing it here.
Beautiful animals, and done the 'old' African safari way - whatago!

For your next trip (and I'm sure it'll be soon) try adding balloons to your school supply goodies. They were a real hit with the kids we met in S.A.
- and that's a great tip on getting SCI involved - thx
Old 05-04-2009, 08:26 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Great adventure TJ, thanks for sharing it here.
Beautiful animals, and done the 'old' African safari way - whatago!

For your next trip (and I'm sure it'll be soon) try adding balloons to your school supply goodies. They were a real hit with the kids we met in S.A.
- and that's a great tip on getting SCI involved - thx
Never thought about ballons but that is a great idea and yes, I'm sure I'll be going back soon. Bubble gum was a huge hit with the kids when we went over and we also left $1k with them to buy chairs, tables and some soccer balls. It was shocking how little those kids had.

Ya, the guys and gals from the Northern Chapter of SCI couldn't have been more helpful and the blue bag program is recognized worldwide by the airlines and they never batted an eye about flying the supplies for free. The kids were very greatful as were the teachers.

Last edited by sheephunter; 05-04-2009 at 08:40 AM.