Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 AM

It wasnt one of my best shots but is the most memerable one. It was my last years bull moose (first one). It was 4 days before the end of the season and I was out before first light sitting in my truck watching a cutline and a road, it was a nice "Y" to be looking down. Have been there lots over the month and have seen fresh tracks there almost every morning that I was out. It seemed I was eithere a little late or left to soon and saw the tracks later when I came back. That morning I wasnt going to be late so I sat there and waited and waited glassing the cutline and road every so often. I was there for a long time and figured it was time to go check out anothere spot, as I was driving out a nice size moose ran across the road and into the trees on the othere side and stopped. I could already feel the buck feaver starting in, I got out of the truck loaded the 7-08 up walked a bit till I had a good shot and took it. MISS the bull takes off and stops 30 - 40 yards furthere into the bush. I load up again take anothere shot, was pretty sure I hit him so back to the truck and wait a bit, called my Bro to tell him what happened, he told me to get my gps and bring it with me (he is so smart somedays).
I head into the bush to where I thought I him him to start looking for a blood trail at about 9:30 in the morning. I found it fairly fast and tracked it to where it looked like it laid down and I spooked him when I went in and he took off again. Back out of the bush I go and sit in the truck again for a bit longer hopeing that he whould settle down again and this time stay. After a bit I went back in and started tracking again, and tracking, and tracking. Thank god my bro told me to get my gps, I got a little lost a few times over the rest of the day and had to back track to blood spots I marked out. Never did find the moose Walked over 18 km got back to the truck at about 3:30 and a lot of messages on the phone wondering what happend.
I went and started over got back to where I saw the lay down spot a bit angery and frusterated, did a good look of the area and noticed that there was a gut pile not far away So it looks like I wasted that day tracking a dead and gone moose. But I took the shot and had to be sure, on the bright side of things I got in some good exersize and found some nice tree stand areas for next year.
At about 4 I started listening to messages and was driving slowly home still on the back oil feild roads when I saw to big blackthings on the middle of the road. I figured something fell off a truck but better have a look anyway. Two nice sized moose were standing right there, I couldnt belive my eyes. But as they were standing on the road I couldnt take the 250 ish yeard shot as the bullet would have to cross an intersection and you shouldnd shoot down the road in the first place.
I slowly kept driving hopeing the would spook off the road and not run to far and I could get a mark for where they went in. I got to within 50 yards before they took off into the bush, wrong side of the road, I drove up more and looked for them, one stoped 40 yards into the bush and was standing broad side I pulled the truck over to the side of the road trying to figure out he best way to go about getting him as anothere truck pulls up beside me and askes if I have the tag. I said I did, thay said damn and good luck and drove off leaving me the chance.
I get out of the truck (climbing over the console to get out the passanger side) load up the 7-08 again get straight across the road from the moose and he is still just standing there, bring the rifle up to my shoulder and put it down again... consience kicked in and wouldnt let me shoot across the road. I start crossing the road praying and wispering "please stay there I cant do that walk again". It didnt move a bit I got across the road and took my shot and he fell like a ton of bricks and didnt move. It was a neck shot, I start walking back to the truck to put the rifle away and grab my knives as the moose starts to kick a bit was probably just nervs but I wasnt taking the chance walk back a bit and put one in the ear. That time I walked up to be sure first, then the exitment started. I got my first moose

sorry for the long story
Junior
Old 03-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Hoochie Papa

My best shot is the one I am least proud of. I was young, just starting to hunt, and I was taught by someone who had no regard for the law. So I will withhold the details and just say it was a shot on my first muley buck. 3x3 in velvet, with my bow, fingers, no sights, 45 yards, and he was dead before he hit the ground.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:26 PM

My best shot was the season before last.I was in Kamloops BC ona ranch I had access to.
Me and a buddy were hiking when he decided to take a low bench and i took the upper. near the top of the ridge I spotted some does so I sat and watched them for 10 mins hoping a buck would enter the picture.
They ended feeding to withing 30' of me so I slowly bactracked out of there and continued on the ridge.
As i was hiking along the ridgr i spotted a bachelor group of buck on the opposite hillside at about 160 yards.
I immediately threw myself into the snow and took up a glassing position, I selected the nearest buck, wich had great body mass I settled the crosshairs of my fixed 4 scope behing his elbow 2 inches, drew in a breath, held it and touched off a shot. The buck hit the ground harder than I had ever seen before but as soon as he hit the ground he was back up and on a full run.I chambered another roundl into the Parker Hale 270, locked onto centre mass lead him a bit and let fly again.
The buck hit the ground hard but slid on the snow down a hill for about 15 meters before colliding with a small tree and becoming hung up.
Never moved after that.

Upon autopsyI learned that both my shots were great lung shots and the deer was running on adrenaline.
I smashed 2 ribs side by side and had an entrance roughly the size of a tennisball.
The first shot jellied both lungs and broke the opposite rib, resting under the hide.Second shot ended up in the flesh at the base of the neck after making some more lung goo.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:50 PM

Cow elk @approx 300 yds, check out the knife.

Tell ya the rest later.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:05 PM

My 2007 mule deer with a bow! Had a freind push the deer toowards me and I was able ti intercept them in the wide open field and made an awsome fifty yard shot right behind the should! He ran about 20 yards and that was it. Muzzy 100 grain three blade did the job!
Old 03-10-2009, 03:16 PM

Shot a muley buck at 70 yards right through both lungs with my bow after already hitting him once at 10.
Last year shot a gopher at 72 yards with my bow.

As for rifle got a whitetail at on a dead run at 200 yards right through the heart, shot a Whitetail and a bull elk in the same week at 400 yards with my 270 win.

Come to think of it all my shots that ended with a dead animal were all good shots!!!
Proud of them all.

Mike
Old 03-10-2009, 03:21 PM

My best long shot came as a result of screwing up the first shot. A bit long winded but establicshes my reason for avoiding the close, moving shot.

I was only 16 or 17, and pushed up a whitetail doe at close range. I pounded off a shot when she was only about 25 metres away and on the run. I hit her way low on the body. I could not get a bead on her as she ran through the brush in the bottom of the coulee. Then she finally stopped, then ran in a circle and disappeared into the brush. She appeared to bed down then disappeared from sight as she dropped low. I decided to wait a few minutes to let her blead out a bit more so that I could get in close to clean up my mess, but I kept my eye on the brush where she had disappeared. When my buddy and I walked down the coulee, there was blood everywhere but no sign of the doe. We looked around for about 20 minutes, still blood everywhere, but no indication of a particular direction. Then we spotted her, two coulees over, blood all over her flanks and hindquarters, and despite the obvious hobbled gait, she was leading a dozen or so animals. Despite my really bad first shot, I knew my rifle and my reloads, and I knew approximately how far the next coulee ridge was away from me. From a prone bipod position, I let one fly and piled her up on the spot. A few years later, I had a buddy of mine use his GPS to mark the spot from where I shot to the fenceline near where she dropped. The GPS and the laser range finder each gave us just over 600 metres.

Because of this incident, I won't shoot anything at under 50 metres unless it is completely motionless or I am using open sights.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Gone Hunting

I have had long shots on different game but the best I think is when I shot Sharptail grouse at 107 meters. We were driving around looking for deer and a few sharpies flew from edge to the centre of the field. I ranged them at 107meters, no 22 or shotgun ,o well will try 7 STW.....I always set my rifles to be 3" high at 100 y. so let's see. I lied down, bipod, 14 power on scope set crosshair at the base of the neck and...pulled the trigger..Bird piled up and started to bit his wings on the ground. Went to pick him up and 140 TSX bullet cut his neck 1/2 way through leaving head attached....no meat damage ..perfect shot.

Next year I lost Elk at 60 y....poor placement ...go figure.

Andrzej
Old 03-10-2009, 04:46 PM

Biggest white tail doe I ever killed stands out in my mind for my best shot. Me and a friend were elk hunting when a heavy snowfall pushed us out of the high country we were in. We dropped down below the snow line into rain and decided to make a bee line for camp for dry clothes and a hot meal. On the walk out we had to go by a cut block that I always see deer in. The rain had let up so I started glassing the edges and sure enough there's a doe feeding on the edge of the timber. I range her at 505 yards and decide to take her. My pard tries to talk me out of it, thinks it's too far, really all's he wanted was to get a shot of whiskey and a beer in him. I set up on a stump and wait for her to give me a broadside which took about 5 minutes. My 7 mag barks and I watched that doe just slam into the ground like someone took her legs right out from under her.Buddy is spotting for me and he just says "Holy @#$%, nice shot." It took us a half hour to get to where she was laying,we had to navigate through 10 years of new growth alders and pine and got our butts absolutely soaked.Got her field dressed and marked her position on the gps and high tailed it to camp for some much needed dry clothes.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:59 PM

my best shot southern ab early morning whitetail doe from fence line to fence line on 1/4 sec close to 400 meters in truck driving across field 30-06 150 grain federal premium load
Old 03-10-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
you bet ovis it was, but there is strict rules that you have to follow.

1.you can only have the hunter carrying a rifle, only one rifle is allowed when teh first hunter is hunting.

2. the first hunter must fill all his tags or forfeit his other tags if the other hunter starts his hunt.
For example i have a dall sheep tag,moose and caribou tag. well on this hunt we were strictly after dall sheep so once i harvested mine and it was his turn to hunt i could not go back and shoot my moose. once he was carrying his rifle he had to conclude his hunt first.........And once we found this out oh was he happy that he lost rock,paper,scissors for first shot. cause then he could hunt all hsi tags before i got my turn back.lol

Thanks for the info. Gunslinger! I know some will do that but I have never heard the details. Nice Ram, and it is also nice to see two happy campers!!! I just hate those pictures of a cranker sheep and the guy has a look on his face like he just wished he was dead.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:17 PM

300 yards full out run on a nice buck, nailed it with my 30.06 folded in one shot. I was impressed atleast
Old 03-11-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Maybe not one of the longest shots ever, but for sure one of the most memorable. I had never dropped an animal that flipped over and layed on it's back with all 4 facing sky high. But, we crawled right into the herd.

Took a good look for nearly a half hour, kinda enjoyed the view sorta speak,

BANG...the .444 Marlin spoke with substantial authority.....

Meat's in the bags...

We got 'er done. Shot was only 90 yards, .444 Marlin shooting 265gr. Hornady Interlocks. Definitely one day and shot that I'll never forget. Although you can only see maybe a dozen, ... there were more than 100 in that herd, and just on the other side of the hill another 500 yds away, another 100. I thought that I died on that day and went to elk heaven.
Without specifics, where was that herd located???
Old 03-11-2009, 05:44 PM

670 yard shot on a running coyote, off-hand with a pre-64 Winchester in 30-06. I pulled the trigger and he dropped.
And it cost me $350 to get his head mounted as a tribute to a true miracle.......

Then again, I missed a grouse once at 10yds with a double barrel 20g.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:08 PM

Default Pronghorn 2007

My best shot was on a Pronghorn hunt with my Dad, Crawling on our hands and knees for 250yrds, Belly crawling for 80yrds when they spotted us my Dad was 72 yrs of age at the time and made a great shot on his trophy while they were on the move (Fast little critters) mine however was a little different I had no shot until they stopped and @ 425yrds and I took it, mine went down (the longest shot I have ever made. I hope that my Dad and I will be able to do this again!!!! est 4more yrs for the draw again.

Last edited by Fred Bear; 03-11-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:30 PM

Grouse 60yards with my bow. Head shot and called it. I've never had to shoot my gun farther than 200 yards but they have all droped in there tracks so far. Oh my buddie reminded me i made a 100yard shoot on a light bulb on the ground. But i practice 100 yards for fun all the time. SHHHHHH hope Ryan don't see this lol. He never hit it with his rifle.lmao. sorry ryan.

Last edited by jaybull; 03-11-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
670 yard shot on a running coyote, off-hand with a pre-64 Winchester in 30-06. I pulled the trigger and he dropped.
And it cost me $350 to get his head mounted as a tribute to a true miracle.......

Then again, I missed a grouse once at 10yds with a double barrel 20g.
Wow off hand thats crazy. Probley had a good laugh after that eh.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:43 PM

Best shot I ever made was on a doe i got last year, 300 plus yards runnin, smoked her high in the shoulder and put er down right there
Old 03-11-2009, 10:05 PM

well mine was a bird out of the air with a 22. On my sisters farm in sask he was flying low over the knolls off a gut pile and I popped off the rimfire open sights in the magpies direction at 150 yards or so . probally a total fluke but I nailed it . If any of you read my shooting downhill advice thread this hunting season you probally don't believe this one but I made some dandy shots with rimfires in my youth and that was probally the best one . By the way I haven't shot a magpie since so don't pounce on me that was about 29 years ago
Old 03-11-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post

Tell ya the rest later.

I've been very patient with this one Tuc

tm
Old 03-18-2009, 10:00 PM

Hey Bigbadjohn its nice to finally see pictures of the elusive jackalope.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:57 PM
jrs

I made a few long shots off my backpack the first year i got my tikka that were pretty impressive but my favorite is still my bear. I remember sneaking to within 50 yards and having a chance to shoot it, i thought i saw something small move so wanted to get closer to confirm there were no cubs. I crawled through the willows another bit and when i looked up the bear was standing up to look at me about 15 yards away. I held still and he went back to feeding, i put the rifle to the shoulder, squeezed the trigger and click, nothing. He stood up and looked at me, popped his jaws and started walking forward to cut around a bit of dead fall, he was coming to see what i was. I quickly cycled the bolt, stood up and squeezed as fast as i could. He dropped on the spot, didn't even twitch after hitting the ground, what a rush that was. My dad was watching about 200 metres away and he said he definitely heard the click when the first bullet didn't go. He figured i was going to get chewed on for sure, ended up being an astounding 12-13 yard shot. We figured it was a faulty bullet as the old 30-06 hasn't acted up since. Closing day of spring season at 9:45 pm, 18'' skull, 6.5 foot rug, i estimated he was 250-300 lbs. I can't wait till this spring, unless i'm using my bow though theres no point in getting that close in thick willows.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:37 PM

Well the best shot i ever made was actually only about 400 yards... started all one morning got up at 4 and got ready, headed out to cooking lake blackfoot reserve...attatched to elk island... walked all morning and seen not a thing...taking in to account it was minus 25 and snowing i was pretty bummed... this was my third try at a morning rifle hunt andas i sat down for a quick morning snack...not ten seconds later my dad yelled elk... as i pulled up my scope on my 7mm belgum browning i lined up the first cow i saw...booom ...clear miss..didnt even move... boom again... miss.... ****... lined the next one up right on the shoulder boom... droped her on the spot...turned out to big the biggest one too...bonus.. as i walked up all i could see was blood spray everywhere... went to look at the head and noticed half of it was missing... to this day i have no clue how i hit her... well anyways 3 hours later finually loaded it onto the truck..we were only about 4 k in so wasnt to bad of a haul with the game cart... well i said lets try and get a whitetail next...drove to our usual spot about 45 min away... saw a nice doe off the road only about 30 yards into the field.. got out of the truck lined her up right in the head missed...now this was too much for... went down the road and hit the gravel pit...and sighted in the gun it was shooting 2 feet to the left and 2 feet high... anyways this is where i get to the good part... comming out of the pit i spoted a coyote in the field... my dad was just itching to shoot somthing so i ranged it out to be 896 yards... shooting a 145 grn. partition... booom... coyote droped on the spot... drove up to it and was in complete aww.. BY FAR the longest shot ive ever seen my dad make...still dont know how he can make shot's like that... i guess he really knows his gun..
Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 AM
troller

Most memorable shot I ever took happened when I was 16. Out speed goat hunting with grandpa and we had a heard of does running straight across our line of sight. Probably about 200-225 yards away. Raised my .308 Globe up to my shoulder and squeezed one off. You could see the goat going head over butt until it stopped, motionless. We walk over to find I had made a perfect temple shot

I didn't have the heart to tell the ever proud grandpa that i *think* I was aiming at the one in front of the one I got
Old 04-23-2009, 02:45 PM

Best shot to date was a few seasons back doing the cwd hunt in the oyen area. My buddy and I had been covering a ton of ground for a few days with not much for sightings. We were driving towards oyen to grab some lunch when we spotted a herd of wt does about 500 yds south of the highway. We pulled out the land ownership map and made a b-line for the owners house to ask permission to hunt. Permission was granted and we were on our way. By this time the wind was howling and the snow was coming in sideways with very poor visiblity. We made our way on to the quarter we had seen the does previously and parked and walked around and over a hill in the middle of the field. as we crested the hill we saw the does below us in the field at what looked to be 400+ yards and set up for the shot. I was shooting my grandfathers 303 enfield with 3-9 power bushnell and my buddy was shooting a browning abolt 300 winmag. Considering the gusting side winds and downhill shot I aimed high and in to the wind pulled and connected as did my buddy. Both animals laid down, one shot one kill. We paced our way over to them and found it to be 380 yards we had just shot. Not a terrible stretch for the 300 mag but for my enfield I was very impressed.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Banned

I've got a 270 casing that I put a nice clean hole through at 100 yards with the 270. Got 2 gophers in one shot a couple times which always gets me pumped. Shot a muley at about 20 yards with a 30-30 and thats the shot I am most proud of.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post

Tell ya the rest later.
Tuc, that's quite the skill to be able to throw a knife 300 yards! I can't wait to hear the story.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 PM

Default Ok... here's a GOOD one for you! And itstrue!!

I have witnesses to this one, so you can call BS ALL you want. But here's MY 2 cents:

Two years ago (6 months after ACL surgery). I my buddies and I were around Lynx Creek looking for 'meat bucks/does' to finish off our season. I was limping towards a ridge when I spied a really fat doe grazing 175-200 yards uphill from me. 'She' was broadside and even though I have great camo, I doubted I could get any further. Up on whitey due to the terrain/cover and rocks... so I took one standing off hand shot.... breath, breath.... sqeeeze... BOOM.... ........ total miss.
The deer lifted 'her' head... took a real nonchalant look around..... And spotted me. I slowly took a painful kneeling position and..... pause.... breath.... BOOM. The deer came tumbling down the ridge and stopped about 100 yards from me. I couldn't find much blood or any entry wound on the body.

I dressed her out and painfully dragged her back to the truck.

Turns out the doe was a spike buck and nailed him right between the eyes...each of his spikes could move around like bug antennas.

It was quite a shot.

oh ya... I hunt with a 1917 Lee Enfield iron sights.

bd
Old 04-23-2009, 09:40 PM

sighted my rifle in at 3 inches high at 500 yrds
went to the mtns expecting long range shots @ big horn rams
never evan seen one
evan the mule deer were up higher than the ewes & lambs , no mule deer tags either,
so went home got my WT wth the bow
then awaited the elk season as i had a cow draw in wmu348
opening moring drove out to my favorite feild parked on the trail leading into the feild, & walked 1/4 of a mile into my favorite feild.
There they were spread out across the feild ,38 cows and calves
closest one was about 120yrds away
lined up and missed cleanly.
couldnt understand that ,all heck breaks loose & the cow elk i missed took off
so i ups & missed again,
she was the last in the feild and gaining speed by now.
dont take a heard of elk very long to cover a quarter section
then i remembered
i never resighted my rifle in after ram hunting.
by this time the cow elk was across the feild so i leads her a foot and touch off my last round,
down she goes crashed into the barbed wire fence on the far side of the quarter.
knocked the bottom 2 strands off the fence posts.
i was 30 feet from the other fence on the east side the cow elk broke the wire on the west side of the quarter
that was the best and luckyest shot i ever did

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 04-23-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:51 PM

Default First big game critter with a rifle

Antelope doe running full out broad side shot.
Not a huge animal but, a very memorable experience.