Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-04-2011, 02:10 AM

Post .308 Win Handloads?

Anyone have any luck with these bullets and Varget powder? I have tried 2 types of bullet; (Speer 165 BTSP), and (Nosler 165 Ballistic Tip green) using Federal 210M primers. Several different test groups with same poor results. My cartridge length is definitely not factory dimensions, but matched to my chamber (2.900"). I have it seated .065" away from lands. 3-5 shot group size at 100 yds avg. 1.5''-3''+ off a rest/bench. Have also tested other powders but Varget is what I bought so I gotta use it until I can buy more. Tried a 3 shot group with the limited amount I had left of BL-C2 and the speer's @ 200 yds less than .75" Any info or knowledge that can be passed on to me would be greatly appreciated, my wallet will be very happy too
Old 01-04-2011, 03:25 AM

do you seat as far off the lands when using BLC2?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman4life View Post
Anyone have any luck with these bullets and Varget powder? I have tried 2 types of bullet; (Speer 165 BTSP), and (Nosler 165 Ballistic Tip green) using Federal 210M primers. Several different test groups with same poor results. My cartridge length is definitely not factory dimensions, but matched to my chamber (2.900"). I have it seated .065" away from lands. 3-5 shot group size at 100 yds avg. 1.5''-3''+ off a rest/bench. Have also tested other powders but Varget is what I bought so I gotta use it until I can buy more. Tried a 3 shot group with the limited amount I had left of BL-C2 and the speer's @ 200 yds less than .75" Any info or knowledge that can be passed on to me would be greatly appreciated, my wallet will be very happy too
I had very good luck with varget in all my 308 win I mainly use 150gr but have used 165 a bit.My x-bolt that i had would shoot 1/4 inch allday long useing varget and 150gr b-tips but i had to seat them 020 off the lands.I loading 165 interbonds for my dad s tikka to take on a moose hunt this year,they shoot around and inch at 100 yards but i never had time fool around with this load and im sure i could have closed the good up a bit I crony this load at just under 2700fps (max load of 46gr) he shoot a big cow moose at 400yards she ran 50 yards and fell over.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman4life View Post
First off, with those bullets, I start closer to the lands - like .015 off!
Set up 5 each at .015, .010, .005, and just kissing the lands and see what happens.
Use a mid range load in your book first, get you accuracy, then up the powder charge a bit at a time.
Varget is a tremendous powder for the .308 , and I cannot remember a gun with a decent barrel that would not shoot it.....
Cat
Old 01-04-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuk-O-dah-Nort View Post
do you seat as far off the lands when using BLC2?
It's not the powder itself that will dictate the distance to the lands really, but the combination of the powder charge itself for that type, and where the rifle shoots best.
Some riufles will be super accurate .010 off, then go sour at .005.
However, the difference may only be a 5 shot group difference of say, 1/4" at 100 yards, and if the gun cycles better with a slightly larger group, or the pressures are better, then you should go with that as a big game gun does not have to deliver super target accuracy to be a proficient killer.
The biggest requirement is the shooter needs to be able to hit where he is looking , and his rifle has to preform properly in a mechanical sense as well as in the accuracy department.
I know that is hard to understand for some, but it's a fact.
Cat
Old 01-04-2011, 09:29 AM

Default 308

I have had real great results with Varget and 168gr Horn. A-Max bullets
Old 01-15-2011, 01:43 AM

Default 308/varget

yeah get closer to the lands like .02" away maybe, ahh the fun of handloading, maybe try changing components , hard work and frustrating but eventually yuoll find a load, i use the SMK 175 with 44.6 gr of varget and pop jugs at 1100 yards in a modified target/hunting rifle and ive spent a lot of time with different powders,trying to squeeze the most accuracy out of it. the best group i had was a 1.2" spread at 600 yardswith a moderate full value wind from my right. there will be no problem of getting rid of varget if you find your rifle likes something better. just change out bullets and powders eventually youll find a recipe.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:52 AM

IF it will shoot BLC2 into 3/4" at 200 yards, sell the Varget and switch. One of my 308s produces okay speed and groups with Varget, but gets another 250 FPS and 1/2 the size groups with IMR 4895, so that is what I use in it. It really is the whole point of reloading.

Tags
308, handload, win