Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-13-2010, 11:36 AM

Default What to do?

i am currently shooting 125gr muzzy 3 blade broadheads and have realized they are too heavy for my arrow weight. I have just ordered more out of the states, and am heading out for elk on thursday! Doesn't leave me much time to fix my problem, but wondering what others more experienced than myself would suggest. Do i buy some 100 gr and try sight them in three days or hope i can get close enough with my 125 gr to be accurate? I want to be as ethical as possible....
Old 09-13-2010, 05:18 PM

I am no expert by any means, but if your bow is propely tuned, your arrows should only be dropping a bit. Drop your sight to accomodate. Should be back on track. If you buy 100 gr, then you shouldn't have to do any resighting if you were tuned in with 100gr in the first place. (again, if your bow is tuned)

If your arrows are hitting in a bunch of different spots, your issue is with tuning and not so much broadhead weight.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:33 PM

Smile

Thanks for your input, Shaggy. Looks like we were on the same wavelength. Unfortunately, and so far i think it's due to bad form, sight is maxed out as low as it will go! I'm trying to sight in my 40 yard pin and i can't in any lower, this is what leads me to believe it is grain weight. Never had issues last year with 100 gr, guess that's what happens when you leave things to the last minute!
Old 09-13-2010, 05:45 PM

wieght doesnt change, if you set up is sighted in with 125gr then you gotta use 125 gr broadheads. the head or tip wieght should not change from field to range. could your peep possibly have moved. sounds like it to me. try pulling the bow back with your eyes closed then open them at full draw when at your anchor point. you should see straight thru the peep if not then it moved. but then again i'm just a redkneck with a bow I aint no xpert
Old 09-13-2010, 06:12 PM

thrude1 is right. If your 40 yard pin is at the very bottom of your sight, and you are still shooting low, then you need to slide your peep down a bit. Then make sure it's tied in good.

Seeing as how that is probably your problem, you're better off to stick with the 125's. If you were sighted in with 125's before, once you get the peep back in the right spot, you are golden. If you switch to 100gr, then you will have to re-sight each pin separately.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:26 PM

Where do 125gr field points hit? if it is the same as your broad heads then your most likely in tune and I would also move the peep as long as it's not at an awkward height. If field points and broad heads don't have the same point of impact ( or very close ) then something is out of tune, fletch contact, arrow spine not correct for poundage, etc.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:55 AM

sounds to me you should resight your pins . move all your pins up put the 30 pin in the middle of your sight houseing . then gang sight your 30 . unless you have a real slow bow their will be lots of room for a 40 pin.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
thrude1 is right. If your 40 yard pin is at the very bottom of your sight, and you are still shooting low, then you need to slide your peep down a bit. Then make sure it's tied in good.

Seeing as how that is probably your problem, you're better off to stick with the 125's. If you were sighted in with 125's before, once you get the peep back in the right spot, you are golden. If you switch to 100gr, then you will have to re-sight each pin separately.
X2! You will need to adjust peep and or anchor point and you will get the adjustment you need!