Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-11-2010, 02:00 PM

Default Target shoot a bow outside?

I just got my first bow a few weeks ago and have been shooting at CAC. My wife just got my a field logic target block so my question is what are the laws in Calgary and surrounding area for target practice?

If you can legally shoot outside I would only be comfortable in an open area with a hill or bank behind my target but if not then no big deal just wanted to know all our options for enjoying are bows.

Cheers,
N
Old 09-11-2010, 02:25 PM

Default Sorry...

Not within city limits...
Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 PM

Sounds fair enough and I figured so anyways, and with winter comming up we'll be going to the indoor range anyways.

But come spring, summer to use my new target if I leave city limits and find a open space with clear line of site and a nice bank or something and I should be fine? Good to know and thank you for taking the time to reply .

Until it gets really cold my garage end to end is about 20ft would I not legally be allowed to shoot in there then because it is w/ in city limits?
Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 PM

What you do within your garage is your business. (read between the lines there)

If you wanted to go out to the country, you could practice to your hearts content on crown land, and if you had a private landowner with permission, have at er.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=678557

I don't have a bow (yet) but I primarily just shoot on crown land instead of taking my life into my hands at the homestead range. (free public range west of Calgary) I could purchase a membership at a private range and enjoy those benefits, but the crown land suits me just fine and simulates actual hunting conditions better IMO.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:44 AM

since its your first bow its always good just to shoot in your garage or your basement .. practicing your form is way more important than practicing shooting at distances ..dont get me wrong outdoor practise is always good too .. shoot as much as possible ..Once your form is good , the rest becomes easier .. welcome to archery

mamba,
Old 09-12-2010, 08:45 PM

Thank you for your comments and help. I have been shooting so far just down at the CAC, and have been enjoying it but sometimes it gets so busy especially now with hunting season!

So yeah I just wanted to be informed on all my options for being able to get in some practice!

So far I'm really enjoying it alot, and place on joining the Calgary Archers this new year once I get caught up on things around home.

If anyone local is heading out or going to shoot sometime if I'm not working it be great to get some tips and watch someone w/ experience to pick up some things.

Cheers,

N