Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-26-2010, 01:27 AM
Banned

Default Well..I am looking for a Bow

I like Mathews or Hoyt..I have no idea what the models are..other than the websites..I like light, fast and where is the cheapest..
Bow experts please help a gun hunter out...
Old 08-26-2010, 06:59 AM

Default Steps to buy a bow

Bring your cash to an archery shop(s)

Shoot as many bows as you can in your price range.

Buy the one that feels the best and naturally smooth.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
Bring your cash to an archery shop(s)

Shoot as many bows as you can in your price range.

Buy the one that feels the best and naturally smooth.
This is the classic Internet answer . But unless you live in a big city you don`t have the option of shooting a lot of bows .

And if you are a beginner you can`t tell witch one feels good .

All bows now shoot good , most are smooth,most are quit . To much importance is being put on a bow brand .

What i would look for if i was a new shooter looking for a bow .

Adjustable draw length

7in or more BH

34ish ata

and if you have a budget spend more on accessories and less on the bow.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Banned

Looks like a Z7....I tried one out yesterday and it sure seemed like a nice bow.
I will try and get to get a good bow shop..thats probably the best..
Old 08-26-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealevel View Post
And if you are a beginner you can`t tell witch one feels good .
I disagree. No matter what level of shooter you are, the bow should feel 'right' to you. What feels good for someone, might not feel good for another.

I gave this exact same advice to several rookie shooters and they knew which one 'felt' the best.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:12 AM

A beginner can't tell which bow feels good? Really?

noneck, the z7 is a really nice bow. Just for comparison, I would say test out a few others just so you can see how they each feel. You never know, you might end up really liking something else.

I do agree with sealevel about the brace height - I feel that for hunting 7 inches or more is better. A longer axle-to-axle length will give you a more stable shooting platform, but there are some shorter ATA bows that shoot very nicely these days. If you are a taller guy you might like a longer ATA better though.

How much to spend on the bow is a bit subjective - personally I feel that if it is something you are going to stick with, get the best you can afford. If you get something too entry level you might just end up wanting to trade up sooner - but its all personal preference. I would also get decent accessories as well - you don't have to go all out but get decent stuff so you won't end up wanting to upgrade right away.

Definitely get to a good archery shop, get them to measure your draw length and they can help you get started.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 AM

[QUOTE=Heckler;663992] If you get something too entry level you might just end up wanting to trade up sooner QUOTE]

It is a fine line as you are never sure if you will enjoy archery or not, but as a very new shooter to archery I went with an entry level bow a year and a half ago and I already want to trade up. I shoot my bow well enough and it is capable but it just falls short when compared to the high-end bows on the market. I was also guilty of not spending enough time shooting bows before I purchased. I shot one night and bought a bow on the way out of the store.

For me I shoot my bow for almost a year before I swapped out the the lower-end accessories. This way I felt that any improvement in feel during testing was most likely attributed to the accessory.

Doodle
Old 08-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Banned

I picked up a couple APAs?? they didn't feel right at all..
Old 08-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

if you can shoot a couple its best. if you have hoyt or mathews in your head, neither is a bad choice. you may not need the flagship model, but if thats what you get, you wont have to kick yourself in the butt for not getting what you wanted in the first place. check the archery talk forum as well. tons of guys get a new bow or 2 every year and some sweet deals can be found.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Banned

whats a Drenalin like??
Old 08-26-2010, 02:23 PM

i shot a couple drenalins when I was looking i think they are nice bows. but I am pretty new to archery so what do I know?

As far as "feeling" a bow I think it is tough for a complete newbie, it was for me. I was so overwhelmed by just trying to draw and anchor and everything that goes along with it that feel was along way off my mind. I did get the basics down and managed to get a feel for a few bows but like I said at first it can be overwhelming.

Dont get caught up on brand, unless you have a good reason to love or hate a certain bow maker they are usually all good. I personally found the PSE grips too skinny for my liking. and you are right about the APA they sure make a nice bow but with that off set piece of wood in there they feel akward.

Personally I can not get past the look of the Z7, but that is just me i am a little wierd that way. Personally I am a fan of Bowtech / Diamond, but if I were looking at a new bow I would not leave out anything in my price-range.

good luck
Old 08-28-2010, 06:14 PM

have you tried any hoyts? hard to wrong with a Maxxis
Old 08-29-2010, 08:49 AM

I went in thinking I would get a Z7 but after shooting the Z7 they also had a Hoyt Maxxis 31 tried it and for me I found it to be a much better, smoother bow, I ended up picking up the Maxxis and love it, You need to go in and try a few and get what feels right to you.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Banned

I was suppose to go try a few this weekend but..things didn't work out.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Banned

just buy a bowtech and be done with it...
Old 08-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1202 View Post
most of the advice has been pretty good. this one is not! noone can tell you what is best for you.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:45 PM

If you got money in the bank, Carbon Matrix no doubt haha that thing is a masterpiece. I personally love the Hoyt Maxxis. Everything about feels right. I shoot a Bowtech Flatliner, no complaints other then the shop I bought it from

My opinion on the Z7.. Ugly. It feels top heavy and doesn't feel as good as some bows in my hands, and it drew back like poo.

But to each their own.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 08-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Banned

Thanx..

I will check them all out..I just thought there were some mechaniclly better than the other, or more accurate..if its mostly about feel..then I will have to feel them all.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:57 AM

Give them all a try or as much as possible. I use to shoot a Mathews Legacy and hated it, I could not get it to shoot well for "me". I picked up a Hoyt Maxxis 31 and love it. It shot awesome right off the bat, and its been a pleasure to shoot. My confidence is good with it and I know I can put the arrows in there up to 60yrds now.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:25 PM

If you want to get a mathews bow for a decent price then depending where you live. I go see Lawrence at accurate archery. He's really knowledgeable on bows and really good priced.

RATHER BE HUNTING
Old 09-06-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1202 View Post
+1

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-06-2010, 09:21 PM

does axle to axle length make that much of a differnce?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit151 View Post
does axle to axle length make that much of a differnce?
Generally a longer axle to axle length bow will be more forgiving, but it has to feel good in your hand as well. Longer ones are more likely to snag on stuff as you are walking through the bush, may be tougher to handle in a blind or a tree stand...

Personally I like a bit longer 32+ inches, I am 6'1". I tried a couple bows that were in the 28-29 range and they felt to squirrly in my hand.

When I bought my first bow everyone I talked to reccomended going with a bow on the longer side (salesmen and friends that shoot) I did and am happy I listened to them.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:39 PM

i personally own a pse x force and bowtech guardian, my brother has a drenalin. all are good bows bu id have to say the x force is my favorite if youve got the cash custom order a bow from elite archery thats my nxt bow