Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 PM

Default Arrow rest?

what is a good arrow rest for under $100

i was looking at the whisker biscuit does anyone use these??

any feedback would be helpfull
Old 08-30-2010, 09:06 PM

I just bought the Apache drop away made by New Archery Products or NAP. I had an octane rest and the bristles wear out too fast. The price was pretty reasonable. I think it was around $70.

Good Luck.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:08 PM

I'm not a fan of the biscuit type rests; I just don't like the fact of my vanes making contact with the rest. I use a rip cord but I really like the looks of the Qad rest.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 PM

i was thinking the same thing

i was worried about me arrow fletching hitting the bristles
Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 PM

Default drop away.

The wisker biscuits are ok but like others said, they are hard on the fletching. I've used one for a while now and really not a huge deal. I bought a rip cord for about 115$ This summer and it is awesome so far, just target shooting though have yet to kill with it but soon!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:35 PM

I have a whisker, same with my dad, love the rest. No damage at all to my fletching.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:37 PM

I love the APA Twister I picked up this summer, its quick and quiet. I had a whisker biscuit before this and it was also not bad at all, I just prefer this APA one much more.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:38 PM

I think you will find people on both sides on this question, no doubt. I used a whisker biscuit for years, never had an issue with it. My bow was still extremely accurate. I did encounter premature wear using the longer fletchings, so I switched over the the Blazers and they worked fine - also the fletchings should be straight. You'll still get a bit of marking on the fletches but its really not a big deal.

I think the biggest downside to the biscuit is that the vane contact causes the arrow to lose speed, in some cases a fair bit. Really though, that is about it - otherwise they work great and are fantastic especially if you do a lot of spot and stalk hunting.

This year I switched over to drop aways, I just wanted to try something new and heard lots about the QAD's. I suppose the true test will be in the field, but so far I like it.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Banned

a full containment dropaway is likely a better choice if you shoot a lot. biscuits are tough on fletching and cause speed loss. they are a little more noisy too. the biggest advantage they have is that they hold the arrow while you are stalking. there are a lot of choices that will do that for you without the downside.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 AM

Is the speed loss big?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:35 AM

The speed loss is compounded by a couple of things - if the vanes are helical and to what degree, which will increase how much contact there is, and the length of the fletch which will increase the length of time it is in contact for.

A five inch fletch with a 6 degree helical could cause a loss of as much as 15 fps. If you go with the short vanes like the Blazers I mentioned before, I think the speed loss is minimal - maybe 2 or 3 fps.

If they didn't work well, there wouldn't be so many people using them.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:22 AM

I like my whisker. There is fletching contact of course but not damage. My bow is plenty accurate if I do my part. What I really like, being new to archery is how simple it is, no moving parts less goes into the set up compared to a drop away. That said when I wear out my wb or have some money to spend I will be trying out a drop away rest I like the Rip Cord Code red and the QAD (HD i think) ones.
Containment with no fletching contact if set up right, sounds good to me!
For this year I figured being new and as far as a hunting set up that the whisker is the way to go!
Good Luck
Old 08-31-2010, 03:39 PM

I used the whisker biscuit for years with great results. I went with blazer vanes and never had any problems. This year I'm going to try Vapor Trail limb driver arrow rest with Flex Fletch vanes 3 1/2. It has a arrow holder built right on the prong. It gives good containment.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:54 AM

I just switched from a whisker biscuit to a ripcord red about a month ago. Groupings are a lot tighter. The ripcord also has a containment system, so holds your arrow in placed like a whisker biscuit. I noticed the bristles on the whisker biscuit starting to show some wear after about a year. I noticed a fair bit of play in the arrow at rest when using the whisker biscuit, much less with the ripcord drop away.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:29 AM

Default rest

Quality Archery Designs!!!! best going
Old 09-02-2010, 08:56 AM

Check out the 'LimbDriver' made by
Vapor Trail. This is one he!! of a rest
and the best drop-away I have used!
Very easy to adjust, solid build and drops
with the speed of your bow so there is
never a concern with lancher contact or
if it drops quick enough.
The only rest I will now use.

Just my opinion, but worth a look.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:26 PM

Used the bisket for a couple of years now, had tuning issues each time. Changed to drop away, no issues. Trophy Taker Smack Down, a little more expensive ($129), but worth it!
Old 09-07-2010, 01:14 PM

I started with a Whisker Biscuit, it seemed to work fine. The fletches on my arrow would wear quickly. Then I discovered that it aided bad shooting, for me personally. I was able to guide my arrow if my pin was off the target. That was bad news.

For my next bow I switched to a QAD Ultra Rest. It helped with proper shooting form but no matter how hard I tried, I could just not get the bow to tune properly. I always had fletch contact and a wobble in the arrow. It would paper tune fine but my field points would never hit the same spot as my broadheads.

After hours and hours of tuning and changes it turned out that the problem was that my rest was not dropping fast enough. I have since switched my rest to the rip cord and now have perfect arrow flight and the bow is now correctly tuned.

I do use the QAD on my 50lb target bow, it works fine under slower speeds.

To summarize, I personally recommend the Rip Cord. It has full containment and is fast.