Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 AM

Default Meet Elsie: My GSP pup.

We picked up our pup the end of last Novemebr from 6R Kennels in Grinnell, IA. Because she's a pure German breed (pure Moosgaard lineage) we decided to give her a good German name so we call her Elsie. She is developing very well and her hunting Instincts are tremendous. Very athletic! This kennel puts out a very fine dog and we couldn't be happier. My family and I have a great companion, or as my wife says, a third child. Its been alot of fun watching her and helping her develope into what she is. She still isnt half of what she will be in another year, but she's showing great potential, great style, a tremendous drive while in the field, and a wonderful desire to learn and please. Like I said, we couldnt be happier, especially me. I always look forward to fall, but this will be my first ever with a hunting dog. I'm really looking forward to bird season. Heres some pics.

Here's the little she-devil herself.

We started our informal training in the house with a Pheasant wing. I was a little concerned about the angle of her tail, as some dogs never do point strait up. Nothing to worry about and nothing that time and maturity hasnt taken care of. Here she is at 4 months pointing a wing in the house.

At 6 months old we sent her back down to 6R Kennels for a month of introductory bird training. She came back a completely different dog. When she's out in field now, she's there for a purpose and she knows exactly what that purpose is. Here's a couple pics of her first ever bird retrieve. She pointed and held it, the bird was shot over her, and she then retrieved it right back to hand. This is also the first live bird she was ever on.

Now she's 7 months old. I havnt hunted with her yet but I have had her in the field with me a bunch of times while shed hunting. Her desire to find birds is inbelievable. She's also gained some style points while on point. We'll head to a Pheasant preserve in a few weeks so she can let out alittle steam and strutt her stuff. Here's a pic of her pointing a Sharp-Tail from about 35 yards. I didnt see the bird untill it flew off. Tough little buggers to see in the corn stalks.

Last pic. Here she's pointing and holding a Gopher that was peaking its head out of its hole. I'm sure she held this pose for close to a minute and a half. Despite having a "bad ear moment", her tail and style are doing just fine. I cant wait for fall.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:39 AM

Great looking dog. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:47 PM

She is a bonified beauty a gee bobby dazzler for sure
Old 05-05-2009, 02:28 PM

Beautiful dog there. Well on its way to being a great bird season for you this fall.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:45 PM

Default Pretty Sight

Nothing finer than watching a well trained dog work the birds. Miss mine terribly right now as she is away for some training. Can't wait till the fall and bird season. Pretty pup. Best of luck!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 PM

Default riggs/ Dakota

This is riggs my newest recruit
Riggs 1.JPG

And this is dakota my female.
IMG_0281.JPG

Thanxs to plumber for the info on 6r kennels That is ware i got riggs and i sent dakota for a little training.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:29 PM

Chris was real high on that Riggs dog. At one time he was going to keep him for some breeding. You must have known the secret handshake to get that one out of him. Good luck with your pups. If they're anything like mine, which they should be, you'll have a blast.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:36 PM

Nice looking dog, and I like the German name. I had 3 German shepards back to back. All were named Klink. After Col Klink on Hogan's hero's. Yeah, I was very creative
Klink #1 - Had porcupine quils so bad we had to put him down.
Klink #2 - Got ran over
Klink #3 - Coyotes