Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-25-2009, 03:57 PM

Default Tiny target

Well my most memorable shot would have to be shooting a ruffed grouse while on the wing with a 22 at 40ish yards. While this may not sound as exciting as most of the stories here, try it some time.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:07 PM

I agree , taking a bird on the wing with a 22 is no small feat . I've done it twice in my life and probally never will again .
Old 04-25-2009, 09:18 PM

I went on the same type of hunt as Gunslinger the year before with my cousin. Same type of story, we were drained and getting sore when finally we spotted a good ram. We got as close as we could and watched him for about half an hour at about 550 across the drainage. At the closest point where he was headed i ranged a rock at 475 so as he fed around that point i let her fly and rest is history. I was shooting a 270 with 130gr reloads.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:05 PM

me and my brother were hunting an old alpac clearing and spotted a button buck about 100-120 yards away and into some mixed bush. he had already spotted us , so we layed down and waited to see if he come out, but he wouldnt. we watched him through our binos and he was hiding behind a group of small trees but would swing his head out every couple of seconds to take a look at us. my brother said you can almost time him.. so we did . 1..2..3..head comes out, then again and again. so i pulled the bipod down on my
7mm mag and timed it and squeezed the trigger after 3. almost took his head right off. the bullet entered right under his jaw and was pencil hole sized. the exit was bigger than my fist and cleaned all bone and most muscle right out of the neck. this will never happen to me again.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:10 PM

Getting TWO whitetails in ONE shot with a MARLIN 35 REM. LEVER ACTION, while they were running at full speed across a field about 250 yrds out.

It was unreal.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Think another thread might be appropriate here, about the shots we passed up because we couldn't be confident of a clean humane kill shot....lots of nice stories about 400-600 yard shots, but really no one practices them enough to use in the field.....also no mention of checking to "see " if u missed that 500 yd. shot or got him in the back end...and he kept going..we all do it...and some guys here are proficient at it....but........might be sending the wrong message to the new hunters....just my thoughts
Old 04-27-2009, 08:29 PM

i shot a goat over 700 yard 1 shot from my 338 lapua straight down my range finder at the time only went to 700 yrds it was over that
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/t...Colinsgoat.jpg
Old 04-28-2009, 10:41 PM
bowcanyonranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
Cow elk @approx 300 yds, check out the knife.

Tell ya the rest later.

Tuc.. Have a little respect for the animal please!!! I hate seeing SH_T like that.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Banned

I once shot a bull moose at less than 30 yards....lol

The best part was he didn't even know I was there..

Bowhunting is a blast...
Old 04-28-2009, 10:50 PM

mine would have to be:
walking with the 20 Ga i came across a fallen tree about 20 yards or so. i stop and scout the area and up pops a grouse on top of it. BOOM! the grouse is gone. JACKPOT! I take two steps and the bugger pops back up. BOOM! Gone again, HA HA! Another step and hes back up there again. BOOM! What the hell? I walk over to the tree wondering if the bead sight was off (couldnt be me right?). Look behind the log and there were 3 grouse... Dumb birds haha

Walking down the dirt road with the dads single shot cooley .22 i heard the thump, thump, thmp of a grouse. spun 90 degrees and took aim and BAM! Grouse in the bag. Dont think i could do that again.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:10 PM

I know a guy that killed a grouse with his face. True story. He was quading down a trail kind of fast and a grouse flew up in front of him, hit him in the face, and was stunned long enough that he got him with a stick. I always told Brendon that he had a face that could kill....lol. Who needs a gun!
Old 04-28-2009, 11:51 PM

Two stories come to mind,

First deer I shot was about 50 yrds, I was 15 and dad had to point it out to me.. He was laying down and staring at us. I raised up the old .303 British, almost forgot to shoulder it,(could've gave myself a popeye,) and pulled the trigger. Right between the eyes. I couldn't believe it. My heart was just a pounding. Poor little Vancouver Island deer wasn't even 100lbs soaking wet, but he was a 2 point

Northern BC moose hunt. Last moose I shot. I was 22yrs old. Took with .303 British at aprox 75yrds. Funny thing was that dad was going to shoot him but his scope covers wouldn't pop up so I shot from one knee as he was running away full tilt after blasting out of the willows that he just thrashed up. Only blood found was under his left antler base, right in the cranium. 58" bull. Was the best hunt ever!!!!

Last edited by skunkedagain; 04-29-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:19 AM
Banned

Once upon a time when I was a wee lad in a place far away...

Me and a friend were out and about the pig barn with our trusty pellet guns.It was a hot hot stinky day and the flies were out like crazy.
Heh....that made it a good day to go fly hunting..

Yup we were shooting at flys on the barn wall about 10 feet away and on the 5th shot or so I hit a fly with a pellet gun..

Bad news was that the pellet bounced back and hit me in the lip..

Dang that hurt...

It was a good shot but I could have lost an eye....kids,please don't do things like this K??
Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 AM

that american Sniper , Hathcock , used to practise shooting flies
Old 04-29-2009, 05:49 PM

I killed abar over thar it wern't not har but over thar I killed abar

the end
Old 04-29-2009, 06:29 PM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
that american Sniper , Hathcock , used to practise shooting flies
I never did read that about him but I know our own Rob Furlong stated he use to do that with a 22 growing up

a video on him and our snipers

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b65_1201168973

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3db_1201168301
Old 04-29-2009, 06:33 PM

All hunting shots that harvest game are great shots!

Havin fun in a howling wind at Genasee on the 500meter gong is always memorable. Remember that one Bobby B?
So dang windy you had trouble standing still. After being challenged by another shooter present to hit the gong, I could'nt say no. I loaded a single 190gr. Hornady in my 300 Win Mag, took a totally un supported off hand shot and rang the gong. Could I have done it ever again, not a hope in heck, but buddy could'nt do it from the bench so that pretty much ended it there.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-30-2009, 02:50 PM

Troller... Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting
Old 05-01-2009, 07:56 AM

One fo the best shots I ever pulled off was a weasle I shot with my bow at about 35 yards when I was 17 back in 87. I had a pal of mine with me that was about to say "don't shoot, you'll loose your arrow" just as I sent it. I stuck it to a mall sapling about three feet of the ground that he had climbed. I took it home and skinned it out, salted it down and two days later my dog it.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:01 AM

Gopher, 100 yds with my BRNO .22, iron sights, slight sidewind.

She flew right up into the air on impact... Quite spectacular.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:08 AM

Shot a moose once at 9yrds with my bow.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 AM

Default Double

I was 18 and it was thanksgiving weekend, I bow hunting deer and had followed this beautiful buck into some cover, I went the long way around and was making my way over the cover when I caught movement from the ground maybe, maybe 25yrds away and there sat a plumb little blue grouse, So being the oppertunist that I am and having my upland licence I pulled back and let fly, there was an explosion of feathers and and the bird took off. I heard the sound of a deer bounding and quickly turned and pulled and arrow out of my quiver, it was my buck and I wanted him bad he cleared the small bush of trees and turned to look at me, I pulled back and let fire, shot right through his chest, with the arrow still in him he took off leaping over some dead decaying logs and was gone, Knowing I had a few hours of work ahead of me I left the deer and went to look for my lunch(grouse) I found my arrow and it had blood and feathers on it so i knew i had the bird, i looked to where he had taken off in flight hoping to have him fly up or make some noise when i got close, but nothing he never moved again, and for the life of me i couldnt find him anywhere after about 90 minutes of looking i sadly decided that I just helped some lucky fox or coyote. i turned to make my way over to where i had last seen my deer. as soon as i crested the hill and looked down in the little gulley i saw my bright arrow sticking out of the side of this deer. I slowly made my way to him excited as I could possibly get, The deer was dead and I started my work, I'll never forget that if i hadnt shot that grouse that deer would have snuck off behind me and i would have been very empty handed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JR1.jpg (55.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 05-04-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
and for the life of me i couldnt find him anywhere after about 90 minutes of looking i sadly decided that I just helped some lucky fox or coyote
Grouse are amazing in terms of camouflage... I still remember one time while recovering a grouse that I had shot, I was on hands and knees, scouring the bush. When I finally found her, she was directly underneath me - and I could barely see her. I had to give my head a shake... She was just that well hidden.