Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-27-2009, 03:46 PM

Default Looking for advice on binoculars

Im doing alittle bit of research on binoculars since I need to buy new ones this year. Im not looking to get too expensive but stay around the 200-400 dollar mark. Ive been looking at the Nikon monarch atb 10x36 and the Nikon sporter ex 8x42. They seem to have really good reviews. Has anyone used these binos and if so what do you think. Is there any other models that I need to take a look at in your opinion? thanks,

KB
Old 04-27-2009, 03:50 PM

I was in the same boat recently and Cabelas had/has a sale on for Bushnell Legends, reduced from 450 $ or so to 220$, also the Burris Fullfield II for just over 200, reduced as well - i just ordered a pair last week.

On the Nikons, no personal experience, sorry. But I really found looking at the "product reviews" on the cabelas website very helpful. I was torn between 4 different models and after reading all the reviews, I knew exactly what I wanted!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:01 PM

Nikon makes good glass. I have been really happy with them in the past. You should also look at the Minox line as well in that price range. Both sets of glass would suit you fine I'd think.

Duk Dog had a pair of Nikon 8x42's for sale. They are really good glass and he was askin a really reasonable price....
Old 04-27-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Nikon makes good glass. I have been really happy with them in the past. You should also look at the Minox line as well in that price range. Both sets of glass would suit you fine I'd think.

Duk Dog had a pair of Nikon 8x42's for sale. They are really good glass and he was askin a really reasonable price....
Killerbren - PM sent.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Hey rack, speaking of Minox, how do you like your spotting scope? Im looking at getting me one of those as well
Old 04-27-2009, 04:36 PM

I have a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB's in 8x42. I've only had cheap bushnells before so can't really compare them to anything, but I like them. I don't like the connected lenscaps though. Connection broke in a hurry. I got them from Shoptics.com. Replaced the normal strap with a harness. VERY good idea.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbren View Post
Hey rack, speaking of Minox, how do you like your spotting scope? Im looking at getting me one of those as well
I havent got it out a pile. Its nice from what I've used of it so far. I cant complain with what I've seen....need to get it out for some serious hunting though!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:24 PM

Both my wife and I have Nikon Monarch 8X42's- great glass....good in low light. Good binos.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:41 PM

I looked at the vortex viper, and although they seem to be the best by far they are a tad bit expensive. So far I have it narrowed down to a Nikon Monarch atb 8x36 or a minox BF 10x42. Has anyone heard anything about the Minox? I looked at a few reviews but theres not that much info out there on them.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 PM

I just recently purchased the new Truglo's in 8x42. Very impressive at dusk.

http://www.truglo.com/content/produc.../tru_brite.asp

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 04-27-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbren View Post
I looked at the vortex viper, and although they seem to be the best by far they are a tad bit expensive. So far I have it narrowed down to a Nikon Monarch atb 8x36 or a minox BF 10x42. Has anyone heard anything about the Minox? I looked at a few reviews but theres not that much info out there on them.
I loved my Minox....very very good glass. Doug at Cameraland sells a lot of them and the guys over on 24hourcampfire seem to like em a lot....
Old 04-27-2009, 10:21 PM

Give Doug at Cameraland NY a call and see what he things would be the best bang for your buck. He deals with hundreds of different binows and knows a piece of crap when he see's it. Doesn't mean you have to buy from him just pick his brain a little.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipbobber View Post
Give Doug at Cameraland NY a call and see what he things would be the best bang for your buck. He deals with hundreds of different binows and knows a piece of crap when he see's it. Doesn't mean you have to buy from him just pick his brain a little.

Haha seems like everybody knows doug. I'll see what he thinks, but I think I will be happy with either one of these binos.

on another note, would you guys rather have the 10x or the 8x? Most of my hunting is done for deer here in southern ab, but I do head into the mountains for a few weeks for sheep.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 PM

My choice has always been the 8x for all of my hunting. I did just buy a pair of 10x42 SLC's, but wish they made them in 8x42. I went with the 10's and think I'll be just as happy with them, but really enjoy 8x for the type of hunting that I do.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 AM

I have the Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42, and Mrs. Big Bull has the 8x42, and we are very happy with the optics, but the retractable eye cups are junk. I've replaced all four of them myself, after convincing their repair department to send me some, $30 later. They wanted me to send both pairs to Ontario at my expense, for "maybe" warranty work. If you wear eye glasses, then the eye cups won't be an issue. I just feel they are a low quality part on a quality binocular.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Gone Hunting

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...texvulture8x50

Not sure where you would find better value than this.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...texvulture8x50

Not sure where you would find better value than this.
Although tempting I think the Minox is better. Although it doesnt have the fully multicoated optics the vortex has, the field of view is quite bigger, its lighter, and cheaper.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62173
Old 04-28-2009, 11:16 AM

Brennan,

I owned the exact same pair that you are looking at. They are amazing glass man. I liked them more than my Nikons and they are what I sold my Nikons to buy. You really cant go wrong with em. I loved the weight and the size in my hands. Used them for 2 years before buying Kahles.....which I then used for a year before buying my Swarovskis.....lol.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:01 PM

Don't buy the best you can afford. Simply buy the best there is and do it once. If you don't have the money to buy such optics outright, then save for them. So what if it takes a couple of years to get it done ? I recently bit the bullet on Swaro bin's and spotter, figuring this approach will actually save me money by not having to upgrade later. And when I get too tired to do it anymore, my boy can have at 'em...
Old 04-29-2009, 11:08 PM

Okay guys im sorry, I dont want you guys to feel like im beating a dead horse here but I appreciate your feedback.

depopulator, although I like your thinking the binoculars I have right now are done and I need some new ones asap. plus with the amount of money im spending on new ones it doesnt throw me way back in the "swaro fund". In time, In time.

I found some vortex models from www.cameralandny.com that seem pretty decent. They have fully multicoated glass (as opposed to minox's multicoated glass). Vortex also has a stellar warranty, no questions asked for life, which I dont think could get any better.

So I guess my question for you guys is, would you go for the Vortex's warranty or the Minox assuming both binos are the same price? Sorry rack your probably getting pretty frustrated lol.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:24 AM

Minox for me.....but I've only handled Vortex minimally....either way you are on the right track with a good choice!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:05 AM

Well I ended up going with the Vortex Diamondback 10x42, as well as a Vortex Sandpiper 15-45x65 scope. Doug from cameraland told me the Minox and Vortex were extremely close optically, and the vortex had a killer warranty. Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:18 AM

Does anybody know if there is a good set of higher quality zoom binoculars on the market?
Old 05-01-2009, 06:58 PM

I own a pair of vortexx and love them. Also from cameraland.

Vortexx and Stokes are the same maker. Stokes is kinda like the bird watching bino's but have good 8x40's to. Do a search for Canadian dealer. There is one out of vancouver. Something to do with stars??? i suggest you call them and talk to them prior to buying anything?

PS if you buy from them there is no duty and way less shipping.

AL