Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-27-2009, 12:56 PM

Talking I don't quite get our government

I really don't get our government systems sometimes. I received in the mail today a request for information from the canadian firearms center telling me to call them about my PAL application. Don't you have to provide a phone number on your application if I remember correctly or don't they have phones that dial out there ? Haha .. oh well I guess just suck it up and go with it ....
Old 04-27-2009, 02:27 PM

I think what they are doing saves a lot of labour. You know when they are available. They don't know when you are. If they needed to get info from 10,000 people they would have to have 40 people phoning for days and days to finally get them all.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:49 PM

It also creates a "paper trail" that could show up in a trial years from now - if needed.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Eldon View Post
It also creates a "paper trail" that could show up in a trial years from now - if needed.
Not unless it was sent registered.... oh you conspiracy theorist.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:16 PM

On that note... what happens if you apply "on time" (lets assume within a few days after they send you the renewal papers), and they fail to get you the renewal before the expiry date? Am I grandfathered to take my rifle out for a hike? Kinda important to me as my PAL expires in the first week of sheep season. Hearing all the problems people are having I'm tempting to send in my renewal application right now.

Frans
Old 04-27-2009, 04:43 PM

Probably a good idea Frans...
Old 04-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
On that note... what happens if you apply "on time" (lets assume within a few days after they send you the renewal papers), and they fail to get you the renewal before the expiry date? Am I grandfathered to take my rifle out for a hike? Kinda important to me as my PAL expires in the first week of sheep season. Hearing all the problems people are having I'm tempting to send in my renewal application right now.

Frans
send your renewal now, lately the service has been much better, but photo copy all correspondence and keep it with you if you haven't recieved confirmation. They will extend your new one from the date of expiry on your old one....shouldn't be a problem, had mine in 4-5 weeks
Old 04-28-2009, 02:37 PM

I had my renewal in good time as well, but I would not chance it. Especially near hunting season. I am not sure if it is the same group of people, but I could see the CFA getting busy as fall approaches and people buy new guns for the upcoming season.

FWIW, my PAL expired at the end of january and I sent the renewal in November. I had the new PAL before Christmas, so I think it was 4-5 weeks.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:56 PM

kind of on topic...

i have a WIN card, but havnt dont the hunters ed course, yet... i keep putting it off. is that just a phone call and fax over the reg number? or is it quite the process?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergrey View Post
kind of on topic...

i have a WIN card, but havnt dont the hunters ed course, yet... i keep putting it off. is that just a phone call and fax over the reg number? or is it quite the process?
Sorry... what is? The Hunter Ed course?

Frans
Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 PM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
Sorry... what is? The Hunter Ed course?

Frans
"This course is a Provincial requirement for all first time hunter’s in Alberta and as such complete certification is required with an 80% pass mark on the final exam. Certificates will be issued by mail upon successful completion of the program. This online course may be taken from any internet enabled computer and can be paused and returned to at any time. Also available with this version of the program is a manual that will be mailed via Canada Post to you after the purchase."

http://www.aheia.com/cart_builder.cfm?ProductID=26407

And no Frans, without a current firearms license you will not be grandfathered. Mine was late and they suggested to me not to take any out with me till my renewal came in. Thankfully the wife had hers so we could hunt!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:49 PM

I'll be putting in my renewal shortly!

F. (I know what the Hunter Ed course is, I just don't understand thundergrey's question)
Old 04-30-2009, 09:56 AM

i guess im just wondering the process after you finish the course... to "activate" the hunting option to buy tags with you WIN card.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergrey View Post
i guess im just wondering the process after you finish the course... to "activate" the hunting option to buy tags with you WIN card.
Follow the steps on albertarelm.com - you just have to 'check off' that you have passed the course. Then keep the course certificate in safe place (just in case you ever have to prove it) or cause you'll need it again if you hunt out of province one day.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
Follow the steps on albertarelm.com - you just have to 'check off' that you have passed the course. Then keep the course certificate in safe place (just in case you ever have to prove it) or cause you'll need it again if you hunt out of province one day.
honor system? haha