Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-22-2011, 05:55 PM

Default 887 nitro

Anybody own or shot the remington 887 nitro shotgun?, looking at buying one and just looking for feedback on this gun, how does it compare to the 870, pros cons, thanx
Old 07-22-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner View Post
Anybody own or shot the remington 887 nitro shotgun?, looking at buying one and just looking for feedback on this gun, how does it compare to the 870, pros cons, thanx
I work at a gun counter and whenever someone is ****ing me off I give them an 887 to cut their fingers off with. Seriously, they position the bolt relase right up front of the trigger guard and have these big sweeping wings that will nail your finger if you're not careful. If you hear a scream coming from across the duck pond on a frosty October morning you can bet someone just had their finger amputated by an 887.

Not only that but the gun is just feels chunky, clumsy and plasticy. Also there are many entrances for water to get under that coating remington puts on it (end of the barrel, window to see the SN) meaning the gun will rust under the coating.

It's quite possibly the worst pump gun I've ever handled and I've had a lot of guns pass through my fingers. I strongly suggest you try it out in store. Get a good hold of that bolt release and rack that slide back, bet you I can hear your scream from here
Old 07-22-2011, 08:49 PM

Default the 887

I have a nitro mag 887, I like it alot better then my cusins 870. Personally i find that it cycles fast, fast enough for what i need anyways. shooting 1 1/8Oz slugs it dont kick that bad for how light it is. I know a few guys dont think much of em but I love mine.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:39 AM

This article may be a bit overboard, but, he wrote it;

http://randywakeman.com/ClunkerOf2009Award.htm
Old 07-23-2011, 09:26 AM

I like it when i pick it up and swing it. Every time i look at shotguns i have to pick it up and sholder it, than i work the action pinch my finger and remeber why. I would of bought one by now if it did not keep pinching my fingers, that said some people have cut back the forgrip on there so i wont happen.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:49 AM

When i did a post on this all the old farts (30 and up) didn't like it but the younger people like me like it, I want the tactical one to use for small game and coyote. Try holding the 887 up next to the 870
Old 07-23-2011, 12:11 PM

Default great read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
This article may be a bit overboard, but, he wrote it;

http://randywakeman.com/ClunkerOf2009Award.htm
Thank you for the post, I notice it was wrote in 2009 any chance Remington has mended their ways?

*quote*I work at a gun counter and whenever someone is ****ing me off I give them an 887 to cut their fingers off with. Seriously, they position the bolt relase right up front of the trigger guard and have these big sweeping wings that will nail your finger if you're not careful. If you hear a scream coming from across the duck pond on a frosty October morning you can bet someone just had their finger amputated by an 887.

Not only that but the gun is just feels chunky, clumsy and plasticy. Also there are many entrances for water to get under that coating remington puts on it (end of the barrel, window to see the SN) meaning the gun will rust under the coating.

It's quite possibly the worst pump gun I've ever handled and I've had a lot of guns pass through my fingers. I strongly suggest you try it out in store. Get a good hold of that bolt release and rack that slide back, bet you I can hear your scream from here *quote*

Guess not!
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:22 PM

the 887 from 2009 and now, the QC is better, when i do look at them they seem well machined and well put together, but the price has gone down on them in the last year.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:48 PM

All I can say is the article has been added to since he originally wrote it. The
"testimonials" did not use to be on the original. He is a regular Remington basher on Shotgunworld, but, the points he makes are valid, and that is likely why they are so cheap pricewise.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 AM

Thanx everybody for the replies, now to look at something else mabe stick with the trusty 870, or go benelli.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:48 PM

Friends dont let friends shoot 887's.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 07-24-2011, 04:55 PM

887 joins my personal 'would never spend money on...' list. Includes Mossberg ATR's and 4x4's and Rem 770, 710's.

A Stevens 350 is probably a better choice! And costs less.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:37 PM

Possibly the worst piece of engineering that Remington has ever thought up.

And that is saying something considering the 770.