Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2020, 12:03 PM
Banned

Default Wild TV - The High Road program

Just watched an episode of this and it was helicopter wild pig and coyote hunting in Texas. I was appalled this would be allowed to air.
Shows them flying over shooting at pigs with an AR type gun.
Shows hitting a leg , then other parts until he finally finishes off the pig.
See a few dragging themselves around on two legs while he keeps on pulling the trigger.
They said they just leave them in the field to rot and don’t pick any up.
And the thing that took the cake for me was they killed a sow with maybe 10 piglets. He said the chopper pilot guide told him to now flock shoot the little ones so he just started randomly shooting a fast as he could into the group not aiming.
Is it just me that thinks this is wrong and shouldn’t be on the air ?
This is what we need to promote as hunting???
This is like a video game not hunting!!
Old 11-25-2020, 12:06 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Yup....more fuel for the anti hunting idiots......gotta question what wild tv has for people that screen the shows prior to airing them....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-25-2020, 12:10 PM

It isn't hunting, it is pest control, you should be able to look at the video and know that.

Oh my, an AR style rifle how do you expect them to put down such harmful pests that do untold billions of dollars of damage. Your 303 isn't going to cut it.

This video shouldn't be aired because you are offended so you want to censor it? like they do in China? ok, you're on that side of freedoms
Old 11-25-2020, 12:25 PM

I agree its pest control. Sharing it with the rest of the world generates the same public reaction to videos of elephant culls/pest control. Doesn’t help us out imo but people got to record and share everything these days.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
It isn't hunting, it is pest control, you should be able to look at the video and know that.

Oh my, an AR style rifle how do you expect them to put down such harmful pests that do untold billions of dollars of damage. Your 303 isn't going to cut it.

This video shouldn't be aired because you are offended so you want to censor it? like they do in China? ok, you're on that side of freedoms
Just worried that anti hunters that see this will say look at what hunters do. Sorry don’t want to show our young hunters this is how you kill animals whether pests control or not. Why doesn’t the guy just state shoot the sow then let the little ones die of hunger ? Why waste shells?
Old 11-25-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Even pest control should be carried out ethically...quick and efficient...

Old 11-25-2020, 12:42 PM

It isn't hunting, it is pest control, you should be able to look at the video and know that

Better yet, don't make a video.

Grizz
Old 11-25-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
Just worried that anti hunters that see this will say look at what hunters do. Sorry don’t want to show our young hunters this is how you kill animals whether pests control or not. Why doesn’t the guy just state shoot the sow then let the little ones die of hunger ? Why waste shells?
This isn't hunting. Hunters are not hunting from a helicopter, pigs are not a game species in Texas where this video was taken, therefore in the purest definition of the law this can not be a hunt.
If a young hunter decides this is the way to kill an animal, he/she/ze/zir would have failed their hunter training as most of what you have seen on this video is pest control and not hunting....many laws would be violated to make this a hunt in Canada.

Why not let the piglets die from hunger... well they may, they may not, but what is not in dispute is that in 6 months those piglets will be sexually mature and start pumping out 7-12 piglets every 4 months until someone decides to not waste the shells.

This is a multi-billion dollar plight on the farmers and ranchers of Texas, how do you suggest they try to solve this issue? This has been an issue since 1982, gunning from helicopters is the most effective method they have found to curtail these pigs.
The State Texas allows citizens to kill wild hogs year-round without limits or capture, and the feral pig population is increasing.

It may be distasteful to us sitting 1000ks away in another country, but they live with the problem.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
This isn't hunting. Hunters are not hunting from a helicopter, pigs are not a game species in Texas where this video was taken, therefore in the purest definition of the law this can not be a hunt.
If a young hunter decides this is the way to kill an animal, he/she/ze/zir would have failed their hunter training as most of what you have seen on this video is pest control and not hunting....many laws would be violated to make this a hunt in Canada.

Why not let the piglets die from hunger... well they may, they may not, but what is not in dispute is that in 6 months those piglets will be sexually mature and start pumping out 7-12 piglets every 4 months until someone decides to not waste the shells.

This is a multi-billion dollar plight on the farmers and ranchers of Texas, how do you suggest they try to solve this issue? This has been an issue since 1982, gunning from helicopters is the most effective method they have found to curtail these pigs.
The State Texas allows citizens to kill wild hogs year-round without limits or capture, and the feral pig population is increasing.

It may be distasteful to us sitting 1000ks away in another country, but they live with the problem.
Totally agree but it is on wild tv...hunting, fishing, outdoor activities and yes this might be an outdoor activity but having this put on tv gives fuel for the anti's cuz they see it as hunting when we, you, us know it's pest control....just gotta be selective of what is put out there....how about one shot kills....taking meat and enjoying a BBQ not legs and limbs flopping around etc....just a thought....and I do have a buddy down south who enjoys this activity but keeps it quick.

Old 11-25-2020, 01:03 PM

I don't think anyone editing their Channel I've been watching it for the month I've been at home and it's always out of focus skipping no sound ,bin like that since day one.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2020, 01:07 PM

I don't have a problem with it. If I watch and don't like it I don't watch it anymore. Nothing wrong with pest control, no environmental damage taking place..........except from the pigs themselves It's been going on for decades and if there was a hue and a cry about it from anti-hunting folk it hasn't been getting any traction. Don't give it any credence here...
Old 11-25-2020, 02:11 PM

I remember Rich Mellon posting something on this forum to the effect of the only people who ever complained to their show producers about graphic images or questionable conduct were hunters. I took it to mean that we are sometimes our worst enemies and antihunters don't spend much time watching Wild TV.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-25-2020, 02:13 PM

Default Another comment on WildTV

This is only a little off-topic but still about this channel.

We are getting it as a free preview. I have watched a few shows and some were interesting and informative.

I just saw part of a fishing show where the guys in the boat were passing around a bottle of whiskey. Then they all had cans of beer. The commentator said something about that's my dad so they'll all be drinking. I discovered the show was filmed in the US where, apparently, that's legal, but I still am a little surprised they would show it in Canada.

I also saw part of a show about deer hunting in Saskatchewan. There were at least two hunters involved and they were not wearing any approved colour garments while in their stands or retrieving a downed deer. They were Americans hunting with an outfitter. Surely this cannot be legal. On the other hand, how could the outfitter allow it or allow it to be filmed if it's illegal?

Correct me if I am wrong but this Wild TV seems to present a bad picture to non-hunters and novice hunters alike. I know I can just switch channels if I don't like it and that's what I'm going to do.

In any case, I'm agreeing with the OP about providing ammunition for the PETA types.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:27 PM

PETA use wolves and gbears to solicit donations. I don't think they'll be showcasing an invasive species that is accused of nearly wiping out the quail in the southern US for their campaigns.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-25-2020, 02:33 PM
Banned

For me it is what you show and what u say. Don’t need to show pig dragging itself from a not a well placed shot, you could say pigs are very good to eat and what really got me was the flock shooting piglets comments! It is like bow hunter saying well all I can see is his rump and let’s fly an arrow , doesn’t see if it hit but doesn’t see the deer fall so I must have missed and keeps on hunting, goes takes look later sees a bit of blood and says well that will deer will go far and gives half hearted look to see if he can find it. Then says oh well if it dies coyotes or bugs will eat it!!
I forgot to mention that is what he said about leaving the pigs to rot. Well with whole pile of dead pigs laying around pretty certain I know why rancher has a coyote problem !!
Old 11-25-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Agreed.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
This is only a little off-topic but still about this channel.

We are getting it as a free preview. I have watched a few shows and some were interesting and informative.

I just saw part of a fishing show where the guys in the boat were passing around a bottle of whiskey. Then they all had cans of beer. The commentator said something about that's my dad so they'll all be drinking. I discovered the show was filmed in the US where, apparently, that's legal, but I still am a little surprised they would show it in Canada.

I also saw part of a show about deer hunting in Saskatchewan. There were at least two hunters involved and they were not wearing any approved colour garments while in their stands or retrieving a downed deer. They were Americans hunting with an outfitter. Surely this cannot be legal. On the other hand, how could the outfitter allow it or allow it to be filmed if it's illegal?

Correct me if I am wrong but this Wild TV seems to present a bad picture to non-hunters and novice hunters alike. I know I can just switch channels if I don't like it and that's what I'm going to do.

In any case, I'm agreeing with the OP about providing ammunition for the PETA types.
1. You're surprised they show drinking on TV in Canada lol. Legally drinking in some state where you think drinking is legal, as you say.

2. There is no approved colour when bowhunting in SK. Were they bowhunting?

3. Wild TV presents a bad picture to non-hunters and novice hunters? This is based on your opinions on drinking and colour of clothing.

4. PETA types are not clamouring over this.

5. Read post #12.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
1. You're surprised they show drinking on TV in Canada lol. Legally drinking in some state where you think drinking is legal, as you say.

2. There is no approved colour when bowhunting in SK. Were they bowhunting?

3. Wild TV presents a bad picture to non-hunters and novice hunters? This is based on your opinions on drinking and colour of clothing.

4. PETA types are not clamouring over this.

5. Read post #12.
Given the law in Canada, I'm surprised they show people fishing from a boat and drinking most of a bottle of whiskey and then switching to beer.

These guys were shooting rifles. I know the difference.

It is a bad picture to show people in boats consuming alcohol. It may be legal in some places, but it is a bad idea to do so when operating motor boats or vehicles. Don't you agree?

It is a bad picture to show hunters deliberately violating the hunting regulations and to show outfitters colluding with them.

I had expected shows about hunting and fishing to show legal and ethical behaviours. I guess you don't agree that they should do so.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:18 PM

They could have been hunting with one of the reserve Outfitters are on a game farm where colour is not mandatory

Old 11-25-2020, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
Just watched an episode of this and it was helicopter wild pig and coyote hunting in Texas. I was appalled this would be allowed to air.
Shows them flying over shooting at pigs with an AR type gun.
Shows hitting a leg , then other parts until he finally finishes off the pig.
See a few dragging themselves around on two legs while he keeps on pulling the trigger.
They said they just leave them in the field to rot and don’t pick any up.
And the thing that took the cake for me was they killed a sow with maybe 10 piglets. He said the chopper pilot guide told him to now flock shoot the little ones so he just started randomly shooting a fast as he could into the group not aiming.
Is it just me that thinks this is wrong and shouldn’t be on the air ?
This is what we need to promote as hunting???
This is like a video game not hunting!!
The Alberta Fish & Game organized a "Maim-To-Death" event like this in the Provost, Alberta area.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
Given the law in Canada, I'm surprised they show people fishing from a boat and drinking most of a bottle of whiskey and then switching to beer.

These guys were shooting rifles. I know the difference.

It is a bad picture to show people in boats consuming alcohol. It may be legal in some places, but it is a bad idea to do so when operating motor boats or vehicles. Don't you agree?

It is a bad picture to show hunters deliberately violating the hunting regulations and to show outfitters colluding with them.

I had expected shows about hunting and fishing to show legal and ethical behaviours. I guess you don't agree that they should do so.
Wrong. I do not support anything illegal. You have not proven that anyone is deliberately violating hunting regulations and I do not endorse a program that does.....so why did you have to come up with that?

Are you certain it was a rifle? MZ and shotgun zones (as well as archery) are also exempt from wearing mandatory clothing and as 35 whelen suggested....they may be on a private game preserve. I'm suggesting that you should not be casting accusations based on uniformed opinion. How much liquor did the boat driver consume?
Old 11-25-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
They could have been hunting with one of the reserve Outfitters are on a game farm where colour is not mandatory

I did not know that hunting with reserve outfitters precluded wearing the regulation colours. I looked up the named outfitter and I think that you are correct. Learn something every day.

What other regulations do non-residents not have to follow when hunting on a reserve with First Nations outfitters?
Old 11-25-2020, 03:38 PM

Those wild hogs are doing a great deal of damage, and costing the landowners a great deal. The result is that they are killing them in the quickest, most efficient way possible in an attempt to eradicate as many as possible. It has nothing to do with sportsmanship, and shouldn't be judged the way we judge sport hunting. The only thing that isn't a good idea, is airing the video on a sporting channel.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
And when that fails, give up? It’s a war down there.

Last edited by Talking moose; 11-25-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Wrong. I do not support anything illegal. You have not proven that anyone is deliberately violating hunting regulations and I do not endorse a program that does.....so why did you have to come up with that?

Are you certain it was a rifle? MZ and shotgun zones (as well as archery) are also exempt from wearing mandatory clothing and as 35 whelen suggested....they may be on a private game preserve. I'm suggesting that you should not be casting accusations based on uniformed opinion. How much liquor did the boat driver consume?
I came up with that because drinking while boating is illegal here. I maybe jumped the gun on what you think but you seemed to disagree with my point-of-view. Seriously, I am glad that you don't support anything illegal.

The hunters were using slim-barrelled bolt actions with smokeless powder and scopes with relatively large objective lenses. Naturally, I assumed they were cartridge rifles.

I didn't know that provincial regulations do not apply to nonresidents on game preserves and First Nation reserves. Like I said, learn something every day.

The guys in the boat were passing around a bottle of whiskey that was more than half gone. Cut. New scene. Now with cans of beer. The son of one of the fishers remarked that his dad would be drinking for sure.

Regardless of how much a person drinks, consuming alcohol while boating is illegal here. I know it probably isn't in the US but the point I was trying to make is that I had expected TV hunting and fishing shows to present model behaviours. Of course, I wouldn't expect the same from drama or "reality" shows.

From your reaction, I see that I was wrong. I guess I was expecting too much. I know I don't have to watch the channel, and I won't. I was expressing my expectations to the wrong audience.

You'll probably disagree with this as well, but I'd prefer it if they showed hunters approaching downed game a bit differently. When I go up to an animal for the first time I keep my rifle ready and make sure it's dead. Both guys went up to the deer bare handed. Yes, I know the approach was staged for the camera so it looked like they'd just found the deer, but I don't like the idea that novices would watch the experts and then copy them.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Those wild hogs are doing a great deal of damage, and costing the landowners a great deal. The result is that they are killing them in the quickest, most efficient way possible in an attempt to eradicate as many as possible. It has nothing to do with sportsmanship, and shouldn't be judged the way we judge sport hunting. The only thing that isn't a good idea, is airing the video on a sporting channel.
I think the treat it as sporting because the helicopter guy guides Joe blows to come blast away at pigs from a helicopter for one would assume cash. Few pics of grandma beside a pig she downed in the episode . The helicopter guide said the host was a fair shot. How would u like to see the film of grandma shooting? She just shot it’s foot, missed 6 times , shot part of his ear off, wounded so guts hanging out and fires 20 more times never hitting it.
What is next having kids trap pigeons in leg hold traps and watch them pull their heads off?
Like Wild TV has to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get shows to offer!
Old 11-25-2020, 04:03 PM

Never watched the show and probably would have changed the channel from lack of interest once hearing the style of hunt. Just like lots of other shows if I don’t have interest I change the channel

I know Texas has major hog problems and understand this is just another tool for pest control. They are basically fighting a loosing battle and they can’t be picky about how they get the job done. It’s much needed pest control

But I would not call it hunting or make a hunting show around it personally
Old 11-25-2020, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

Right on...pest control.
And while they're at it they should start televising death row executions.
The point is they don't have to make an entertainment out of it.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
And when that fails, give up? It’s a war down there.
It won't fail....people are just lazy and full of excuses is all....give up...nope...but just find a method that is more effective then wounding animals etc.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
It won't fail....people are just lazy and full of excuses is all....give up...nope...but just find a method that is more effective then wounding animals etc.
Hunting from stands, by stalking, with dogs, and at night have all been tried, they just don't produce the volume of kills that helicopter culling produces. And volume is what is important when trying to eradicate these pests. I have seen videos of experienced shooters in helicopters, and they are much more competent, but they have to be paid to take part, whereas some outfitters are having customers pay to shoot out of helicopters, and this is the result.