Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-21-2020, 01:31 PM

Default Where is Alberta's Trout Highway? (NOT Book Related)

I'm trying to get info on what constitutes the Alberta Trout Highway. Unfortunately all the googler gives me is ads for an insanely priced paperback. I've seen mention of the Forestry Trunk Road, which from what I see goes from Coleman to Hwy 40 at Highwood Junction. Does it extend further North? Any info or direction to a web site would be appreciated.

Thanks
Doug
PS. What happens to the price of a $200 book when it's reprinted?
Old 07-21-2020, 02:29 PM

the Alberta Trout Hiway constitutes the Forestry Trunk Rd/Hwy 40 from Grande Prairie down to Crownest Pass and even down to Waterton Park boundry. this road crosses just about all the major trout rivers, streams and creeks in Alberta at some point in its long journey and those that it doesn't cross are a short distance from it.

Mike
Old 07-21-2020, 03:02 PM

Thanks mikeym. I'd heard about the excellent trout fishing in southern AB, is it just as good at the Northern end?
Old 07-21-2020, 04:28 PM

it can be if you are willing to do some hiking away from the access points and do some exploring. most rivers are not as crowded as down south (the livingstone especially), some are a little more crowded (like the N Ram) and some hardly see any boots all year. don't ignore the little creeks and streams, they will suprise you to the size and quantity of fish in them.

there really is no better or worse areas on the Trout Hiway, every section has it bright spot and lesser fished steams. just have to get out there and explore.

good luck
Mike
Old 07-21-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
it can be if you are willing to do some hiking away from the access points and do some exploring. most rivers are not as crowded as down south (the livingstone especially), some are a little more crowded (like the N Ram) and some hardly see any boots all year. don't ignore the little creeks and streams, they will surprise you to the size and quantity of fish in them.

there really is no better or worse areas on the Trout Hiway, every section has it bright spot and lesser fished steams. just have to get out there and explore.

good luck
Mike
Yup. Some tiny streams produce nice fish. I once fished a little creek on the trout hiway that was 3 feet wide and 8 inches deep thinking the brookies I could see would bite. A 20 inch bull trout darted out from under the slightest of cutbanks and smacked my hook. Shocked the heck out of me. Caught a few brookies and 3 good sized bulls that day.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-22-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
it can be if you are willing to do some hiking away from the access points and do some exploring. most rivers are not as crowded as down south (the livingstone especially), some are a little more crowded (like the N Ram) and some hardly see any boots all year. don't ignore the little creeks and streams, they will suprise you to the size and quantity of fish in them.

good luck
Mike
Yeah, good post Mikeym. That sums it up nicely. It really is the "gem" that makes Alberta special to me.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:52 AM

Southern stretches of the "Trout Hiway" are really good for fishing...IM in Calgary and i will make that 1.5hr drive almost anytime to fish down there...Lots of nice looking water...
Love the Crowsnest pass as well...
Old 11-26-2020, 09:24 AM

This got me curious. How have people who have fished the area noticed what species are in each section? I’ve only fished ES2 west of rocky to just north of Hinton in ES3. ES2 is definitely cutthroat country with some Brown trout and Brook waters. Once I got into ES3 I mainly see Bulls and Grayling, with the odd rainbow in the Athabaska shed. What species do you get in the areas I havnt mentioned? And Have I missed some where I have been? I’ve only been exploring it for a couple years now, So I’ve seen almost nothing compared to what’s out there.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:28 AM

Simply put, every thing that drains into the Athabaska and north is Bull, grayling and whitefish primarily with some exceptions like the Torrens with cuts and several brown trout streams.
From the Athabaska south to the Bow Drainage you get everything except for rainbows with several exceptions like the Siffleur.
The Bow and south has more rainbows plus everything except for grayling which are rare.

Don

Tags
alberta trout highway, trout highway