Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husty View Post
Only a small portion of coal going out of that port is thermal coal, the rest is metallurgical coal which comes from BC, which actually burns fairly clean.. Not saying its much better after all the emissions from extraction and shipping by rail then across the ocean. But its definitely not US made thermal coal, China mines their own thermal coal. People living close to the port do complain about coal dust though.
You may want to check a bit further on the Wyoming and Montana coal that is shipped up to Vancouver and that island is used as a staging point for shipping. That coal is not metallurgical.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...porter-of-coal

Also the calculated annual carbon footprint on shipped coal exceeds BC's carbon footprint on an annual basis. Always good to turn your head on problems in your back yard as long as they generate a revenue stream.

Last edited by 2 Tollers; 12-14-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Whistler wants Alberta Oil Companies to pay for their costs of climate change. Wow.

https://business.financialpost.com/n...c-b17f42ca84a1
Just heard on the radio that apparently, CIBC has cancelled their 21st annual Whistler Institutional Investor event in January and is looking for a new location for their next event. Sweet and swift justice!
Old 12-14-2018, 12:33 PM

We have a group of 70 electrical industry folk that go every year for a long weekend of snowboarding/skiing and shannanigans.

We
we cancelled the whistler event as of this morning.

If I get a copy of the letter I'll post it for all to see.

Not going to end their business. But a $70,000 kick to the face for them.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Energy firms are now voting with their feet by backing out of a large investment conference to be held in Whistler. One head honcho at Prairie Sky saying "we won't spend our time or shareholders money" at Whistler. Hopefully the conference goes down the crapper.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...yor-calls-for/

More of this needs to be done.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:07 PM

Reason number 101 not to spend any vacation money in British Columbia.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb8440 View Post
Just heard on the radio that apparently, CIBC has cancelled their 21st annual Whistler Institutional Investor event in January and is looking for a new location for their next event. Sweet and swift justice!
Right on! I hope they choose somewhere in Alberta.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:11 PM

Whistler, bunch of attention seeking, disingenuous morons!!! Hope they get a bunch more kicks from everyone for this level of stupidity and Canada bashing.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:53 PM

https://globalnews.ca/news/4765432/c...e_notification

nice
Old 12-15-2018, 04:26 AM

Whistler is full of idiots. I used to be proud of being born and raised in BC. Now not so much. We have a gov. That should not be in power making decisions that have killed this province and made an enemy of Alberta. I bet the mayor wishes he could grow a man bun,ph king idiot.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
Is anyone surprised by this? Instead of making money, this stunt is costing them money.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:12 AM

Jack Crompton (Mayor of Whistler) is a bit of a hypocrite IMO. He is President and CEO of Ridebooker, I guess all the busses, taxi's, limo's, cars and what ever else all run on Unicorn farts .

https://www.ridebooker.com/

"Jack is a successful entrepreneur with an impressive resume that speaks to both his business acumen and his ability to identify and capitalize on the right opportunities. He is currently president and CEO of Ridebooker, a software company building tools for the transportation industry. His company also operates an online marketplace for ground transportation (taxi, bus, and limousine) across Canada and the United States. He founded Whistler Resort Cabs in 2003 and operated the company until its sale in 2008. When Jack is elected mayor, he will take a board seat for all of his businesses, so that he can devote all working hours to the demanding, and deserving, role of Whistler Mayor."
Old 12-15-2018, 08:29 AM

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-change-letter

Idiots.. 180 deg turn
Old 12-15-2018, 09:18 AM

The oil companies didn’t create the demand for petroleum products... society as a whole is to blame.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
The oil companies didn’t create the demand for petroleum products... society as a whole is to blame.
Anybody with an ounce of a brain knows that... Unfortunately there seems to be less and less of us..
Old 12-15-2018, 10:18 AM

From the Herald article
Quote:
“Our aim was never to make anyone feel unwelcome in Whistler.”
Translation: Even though our stance is hypocritical in that our very existence is dependent upon 3 million visitors a year burning vast amounts of jet fuel and gasoline to get here, we don't expect others to hold true to their values. Everyone is welcome to continue spending money in Whistler.

Maybe they could put a 'tip jar' at every hotel check-in. Then, explain to the guests how their trip is contributing to global warming. Visitors could then donate money to fund the fire break that is needed because of extreme weather conditions and wildfires.

I'm sure that the tourists will pony up the cash in short order.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb8440 View Post
I heard it was just their oil and gas part of the event.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:04 AM

Just when you think it's safe to go back into burnt columbia another brain dead left coaster gives you a good reason to holiday in Sask, NB, MB, NS, NL, PEI,NWT,Yukon or have a staycation in beautiful Alberta.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:05 AM

Thumbs down Follow the money

The mayor of Whistler is a well meaning, useful idiot, as well as being one of the multitude of social justice hypocrites in this country.
However, he is not the source of the problem in this story. He and other municipal governments in BC were persuaded to go for the easy money by the anti-business, conniving shysters at West Coast Environmental Law who were looking for an easy score. Quote from the Calgary Herald article:
Quote:
Fifteen other B.C. municipalities have sent similar letters to oil and gas producers under an initiative by West Coast Environmental Law.

The firm’s campaign started as a motion to the Union of British Columbia Municipalities during its annual meeting this year, but the motion was defeated.

The West Coast Environmental Law campaign carried on with the letter-writing program to “demanding accountability from fossil fuel companies,” the campaign website reads.

Andrew Gage, a lawyer with the firm, said the goal was to start a conversation about who ought to pay for the effects of climate change.
It's a win-win for the law firm: they get paid, the stories generate more business, and on the rare occasion, like this one, that the effort backfires? Someone else is the face and name (Jack Crompton) that suffers the backlash.

Having said that, I would be happy to see Whistler turned into a ghost town and reclaimed by nature.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-15-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post

Having said that, I would be happy to see Whistler turned into a ghost town and reclaimed by nature.
Whistler was a nice place before it became "Whistler". Now just another enclave of progressive wealthy nimby hypocrites .
Old 12-15-2018, 10:21 PM

I believe more should follow the path laid by urban redneck.

The focus should not be on Whistler alone.

There would appear to be a brotherhood of sorts in cahoots with one certain Law group.

Focus always wins the hunt.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Whistler was a nice place before it became "Whistler". Now just another enclave of progressive wealthy nimby hypocrites .
That sounds like the Castle Park that the NDP created in Southern Alberta. A real estate sanctuary for the rich environmentalists.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
The mayor of Whistler is a well meaning, useful idiot, as well as being one of the multitude of social justice hypocrites in this country.
However, he is not the source of the problem in this story. He and other municipal governments in BC were persuaded to go for the easy money by the anti-business, conniving shysters at West Coast Environmental Law who were looking for an easy score. Quote from the Calgary Herald article:

It's a win-win for the law firm: they get paid, the stories generate more business, and on the rare occasion, like this one, that the effort backfires? Someone else is the face and name (Jack Crompton) that suffers the backlash.

Leeches.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-17-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
We have a group of 70 electrical industry folk that go every year for a long weekend of snowboarding/skiing and shannanigans.

We
we cancelled the whistler event as of this morning.

If I get a copy of the letter I'll post it for all to see.

Not going to end their business. But a $70,000 kick to the face for them.
Good for you!!! I got chastised on this board last week for saying i wouldn't buy a toothpick in BC.

It just gets better and better in regards to our amazing westerly neighbors. LOL.....
Old 12-17-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post

Pretty much.....
Old 12-17-2018, 10:00 AM

Maybe Whistler should groom their hill with a shovel and scrap the diesel powered groomers. Maybe they should get a big battery and a windmill to power their chairlifts. Maybe they should heat their building with the sun.

BW
Old 12-17-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Good for you!!! I got chastised on this board last week for saying i wouldn't buy a toothpick in BC.

It just gets better and better in regards to our amazing westerly neighbors. LOL.....
I love BC, and enjoy visiting. We will likely hit big white instead.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:59 PM

News today -- West Coast Environmental Law has received $300K from the Tides Foundation.

Whoever posted follow the money has the target on the root cause.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:27 PM

It's not just Whistler ...

Squamish, Victoria, Saanich, North Saanich, Colwood, Highlands, View Royal, Sooke, both the city and district of Powell River, Sechelt, Castlegar, Rossland and Slocan were all listed by West Coast Environmental Law as having voted to send “accountability letters.” It is unclear how many in fact did mail letters.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
It's not just Whistler ...

Squamish, Victoria, Saanich, North Saanich, Colwood, Highlands, View Royal, Sooke, both the city and district of Powell River, Sechelt, Castlegar, Rossland and Slocan were all listed by West Coast Environmental Law as having voted to send “accountability letters.” It is unclear how many in fact did mail letters.

Its likely that West Coast Environmental Law targeted small left-leaning municipalities for this demarketing program because they'd be more likely to fall for the ruse: small councils, fewer businesspeople and lawyers among them. Simpletons.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Its likely that West Coast Environmental Law targeted small left-leaning municipalities for this demarketing program because they'd be more likely to fall for the ruse: small councils, fewer businesspeople and lawyers among them. Simpletons.
Simpletons being the key word..